Lotus Appoints Swizz Beats VP Of Creative Design And Global Marketing

He might engineer a fully-sick sound system.

That is exactly the kind of thing most Lotus enthusiasts I know are dreading.

I've never met Colin Chapman, I don't think he liked "Banging tunes" :james:

I'll piece together responses already posted for my own:

1ae71e33.gif

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

That's just embarrassing.

Hopefully Kimi will be able to restore a bit of honor for Lotus next year.

Never heard of the man.

I have never seen a company get their target market so right!

Rappers and obscure stars from America will certainly buy and promote a vehicle they've never heard of before, can't really fit into and won't use for its originally intended purpose. And obviously the marketing channels opened up by them reach just the broad masses of urban, status-hungry people that Lotus has always dreamed of.

Fuck, I mean I only have a masters degree in "business" and not a whole lot of experience with my first two businesses, so there is a good probability I am wrong, but seriously? This is even worse than I had expected. Where in the process of analysing market demands and matching your company's strengths to them have they come to this conclusion? It's baffeling. They are retooling and reorganising the company to suit a market that's already oversaturated, abandoning their core principles, alienating all existing clients and destroying their nich? position. All while not having anywhere near the resources the competitors have, who they are now trying to take on. Lightweight is the future and they were way ahead of the curve on that. Why would you give up that position?

Lotus wasn't doing all to well, but the investment money they are currently using is going to dry out very quickly and then the party is over, forever.

Last edited:

Rappers and obscure stars from America will certainly buy and promote a vehicle they've never heard of before, can't really fit into and won't use for its originally intended purpose. And obviously the marketing channels opened up by them reach just the broad masses of urban, status-hungry people that Lotus has always dreamed of.

Fuck, I mean I only have a masters degree in "business" and not a whole lot of experience with my first two businesses, so there is a good probability I am wrong, but seriously? This is even worse than I had expected. Where in the process of analysing market demands and matching your company's strengths to them have they come to this conclusion? It's baffeling. They are retooling and reorganising the company to suit a market that's already oversaturated, abandoning their core principles, alienating all existing clients and destroying their nich? position. All while not having anywhere near the resources the competitors have, who they are now trying to take on. Lightweight is the future and they were way ahead of the curve on that. Why would you give up that position?

Lotus wasn't doing all to well, but the investment money they are currently using is going to dry out very quickly and then the party is over, forever.

I think more people have heard of lotus than you'd expect. For years there have been mainstream cars (mainly from isuzu iirc) that had "handling by lotus" stickers on the side.

Celebs know about lotus and the elise just because expensive roadster. I've seen many a elise or evora on MTV Cribs. The truth is, they can't soley court the enthusiast demo and succeed overall. They have to sell out a bit.

Could they achieve this by one vehicle a'la cayenne? Perhaps that was the route they should have taken, or offerred a sport pack or something.

Last edited:

As a car enthusiast, this is a bad move. But it's not necessarily bad for Lotus. They are seen as an exotic English sports car brand, a lot of celebrities will want to have a car that's seen as exotic and not too expensive.