Autoblog: Cadillac Ciel Concept perfect car for Fear and Loathing in Monterrey

It could be fantastic with the hybrid engine.

I'm sure it will see as much production as the Sixteen, but I wish they did make it. Not completely sold on the nose but as a whole it appears properly American and that's a very good thing. Individual back seats could be a problem tho. The back is for chillin', not being restrained in race position without a steering wheel. Also, hybrid or not, a car this size cannot sport a V6 engine unless the cylinders are the size of Texas.

A proper competitor for the Phantom Drophead?

I approve. Give it a V16.

I very much want this. Not as much as the Sixteen, but about as much as the Cien. They really do need to start building all their concepts. Hey, they're making the Converj, why not this?

Oh, and:
Dear Lincoln: Cadillac has the XTS coming this spring and they just teased the ATS, announced the ELR, and showed the best concept of the year. Your move.

Love it! It screams '65-66 Caddy Coupe Deville convert, as well as hints of the '62-65 Lincoln Continental convertible. I have this shot as my wallpaper right now:

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2011/08/Cadillac-Ciel-Concept.jpg

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept.jpg

Oh, and:
Dear Lincoln: Cadillac has the XTS coming this spring and they just teased the ATS, announced the ELR, and showed the best concept of the year. Your move.

Lincoln recently aquired Cadillac's head designer. Should be interesting.

Wow, that is beautiful, love everything about it. That windshield would have to be a lot bigger, with a bulky frame for production though.

I'm also awaiting a response from Lincoln.

Love it, this is what Caddy should have made been making all along.

Love it, this is what Caddy should have made been making all along.

Not just Caddy. It's high time that car makers stopped shitting themselves about the bottom line, grew a huge pair and started designing and making stuff with character and style, pushing the engineering envelope and making strides instead of belching out beige, generic snotboxes.

Where is today's Citroen DS, Fiat Multipla, Ford Mustang/Capri, Alfa GTV6, Lancia Stratos.......?

Where is today's Citroen DS, Fiat Multipla, Ford Mustang/Capri, Alfa GTV6, Lancia Stratos.......?

You either need an untapped market with lots of money (Mustang) or corporate leaders willing to risk bankruptcy or red ink to make their vision alive (all the others). Good luck finding either of that these days.

But I think those are the exact words I said about the Cadillac Sixteen ... wich they also failed to actually put into production. Come on GM, go find your balls and put this into production.
Who knows, a lot of people thought the Camaro concept would never look the same when it hit production, but it pretty much did, right down to the horribly impractical roof-line that makes visibility poor. They also put that SSR into production as well. I would hope GM has the foresight to see that this car would be a success, so long as they make it well worth the price, whatever that might be. I still think the Sixteen should have been made, even if the sticker price was a million dollars, you know some rich folks out there would pay it, just for the exclusivity.

I'm also awaiting a response from Lincoln.

If this restarts the American convertible land barge war, I'm all for it. Let the battle begin.

Not just Caddy. It's high time that car makers stopped shitting themselves about the bottom line, grew a huge pair and started designing and making stuff with character and style, pushing the engineering envelope and making strides instead of belching out beige, generic snotboxes.

THIS! What the automotive world needs (but can't afford sadly) is some more lunacy.

Exactly. Car buyers buy with their heart, cars should be designed likewise.

I hope they make it, all of the rappers at least would probably buy it so I think it would sell decently well.

You either need an untapped market with lots of money (Mustang) or corporate leaders willing to risk bankruptcy or red ink to make their vision alive (all the others). Good luck finding either of that these days.

Brings to mind Piech and the Veyron. While they didn't risk bankruptcy, he still had his vision come true, in the form of a 1000hp GT.

What a damned good looking car.