Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You can actually more or less blame Britney Spears for that one, actually. Prior to 2001 some of the major national rental fleets still had manual transmission cars, but after this well publicized bit of stupidity they were all removed. The only major national chain that still has any manual cars at all (that I know of) is Hertz, and that's their Hertz Mustang GT from the Fun Collection.

However, there are many smaller regional or local chains that sometimes offer manual transmission cars. You may also be able to find one at the Rent-A-Wreck chain. Caveat emptor there, though, and there are significant upcharges.

:lmao:
Oh dear, one more reason to dislike her.
Well, seems like it will be easier to buy a cheap Miata and sell it before going home. :p

Reactions: MWF
:lmao:
Oh dear, one more reason to dislike her.
Well, seems like it will be easier to buy a cheap Miata and sell it before going home. :p

Careful or some oaf in a Camaro might crash into you every time you stop anywhere. :clarkson:

I saw a 244 driving through the canal in the middle of town today. In other news, the students at the university of technology are back.

I saw a 244 driving through the canal in the middle of town today. In other news, the students at the university of technology are back.
LOL I read "back" as "black" and was trying to figure out why it would be significant.

So apparently technological student life in Sweden is pretty much same as in Finland :)

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/08/23/Ae3ya.jpg

that is all

noticed 2 strange things on the road today, maybe some of you car nuts can help me identify them

First is something that looks like a Unimog to me, but it was a civilian version since it has a "regular" plate (Military vehicles has special plates).... I didn't know they sold these?

Foto0067.jpg

Anyone know what the big white box on it could be for? Living in? :p

Second is also sketchy, IIRC I have this car in GT4, is it a Renault 5 Rallysport RS racing edition with go faster stripes?
It looked pretty authentic (rollcage, bucket seats, driver with helmet) smelled like a bucket of petrol and was the loudest thing for miles. Could it be the real thing?

Foto0068.jpg

The first sounds like some sort of RV conversion. There's stuff like that here in the states..welll..nothing seemingly as badass as a Unimog: http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

I
know nothing about the latter, but it sounds like a sight to see. :)

EDIT: Just saw my first 500 ad on TV. UGH I WANT IT SO BAD! *cries*

Last edited:
The first sounds like some sort of RV conversion. There's stuff like that here in the states..welll..nothing seemingly as badass as a Unimog: http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

I
know nothing about the latter, but it sounds like a sight to see. :)

EDIT: Just saw my first 500 ad on TV. UGH I WANT IT SO BAD! *cries*

I'd never think to call a E-350 "bad-ass", and it's definately nowhere near my short list of off road vehicles, but that honestly made me curious to see how one of their vans would perform.

I'd never think to call a E-350 "bad-ass", and it's definately nowhere near my short list of off road vehicles, but that honestly made me curious to see how one of their vans would perform.

:lol: I never said it was, I was referring to the unimog :p

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/08/23/Ae3ya.jpg

that is all

What brand is this car? I'm having a hard time recognizing it. :lol:

Today I was tinkering with a Toyota in the junkyard and have been reminded of a simple fact:

Toyota's are designed to be used, abused and thrown away like cheap harbor freight tools.

<- Has just picked up 1984 Toyota tercel 4WD (thanks in no small part to the parents)

Remember when Toyotas didn't suck?

Was planning to do a "What did he got?" guessing game but I supposed no one would be bothered

Last edited:
Very nice. The old Tercel and Corolla 4WDs would make excellent beaters. In fact, some friends and I were all going to chip in to buy one a while ago so we could take it hooning on sand dunes. :lol:

My first car was a tercel, only good it was for was being a beater. It did take a hell of a shit kicking before it was abandoned on the side of the freeway.

<- Has just picked up 1984 Toyota tercel 4WD (thanks in no small part to the parents)

Remember when Toyotas didn't suck?

Was planning to do a "What did he got?" guessing game but I supposed no one would be bothered

Make a thread!

I've been reading the latest issue of Thoroughbred & Classic Cars. The cars in the "Ads On Test" section are especially drool-worthy.

1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona coupe :drool:

1981 BMW M535i (The first M saloon - effectively an E12 M5) :drool:

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 Convertible (The most "common" car tested, but still) :drool:

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1 :drool:

1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special; in the classic JPS livery :drool:

Oh, you UKanians have it so good sometimes.