The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Shhh, didn't you learn not to complain about German roads in the presence of Americans? :p
Your worst roads are probably as good as our best. :cry:

F800GS starts at 10 grand for a used one, which is too much. I can get an R1150GS for 5k-8k. As for the KLR, like I said, its still too much a dirt bike. I want a road bike which can handle some offroading, not the other way around. The GL1000 may do fine on a 600 mile day with some modification, but that isn't the direction I plan to take it with my planned future mods.
Ah, I didn't know the 1150 had been around that long. The small-displacement "dirtbike with a headlight" type dual sports are great fun, but I can see the appeal of a big, refined Bimmer.

Sorry GR, I moved it to Idiots+ Motorcycles = LOL thread. I thought it fit better over there.

You're an evil man. Way to make me look slighty insane. :p

Like you need help. :p

In other news, my dream of getting a Multistrada 1200 Sport isn't going to happen until they hit the used market and depreciate a metric fuck-ton.

In the mean time, I think I might try to pick up an older BMW 1100 GS or 1150 GS. They can be had for as little as $5-6K, depending on miles, condition and options. At least it will be more upright and relaxed so I can actually ride longer distances without pain. Then Kiki can take the VFR, which is less aggressive and has more wind protection than her SV-650S.

EDIT: I think the 1150 is the way to go, it's about the same price but has one extra gear than the 1100.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=16936206&cat=144&lpid=&search=bmw

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2011/08/24/10601006.jpg

And it's yellow!

Any known problems with one of these with a bit over 60K on the clock?

Last edited:
I haven't come across any in my research. Also, copycat :p

Well, I know that SLC has two BMW dealerships here and they always do demos (wish the Ducati truck would stop here
dry.gif
). If you have the time, feel free to stop here for the weekend. You'll have a place to crash at.
smile.gif

I may have to take you up on that. Looks like its only 14.5 hours to SLC from here and it would be a spectacular drive through the Rockies.

Last edited:
I will keep an eye open for upcoming BMW demo days and let you know of any that pop up. I think they might be pretty much done with those for the season, since they try to do them earlier in the year.

Sounds good. I can actually fly directly from here to SLC so if there is a demo day when the weather is better here than there (likely) shouldn't be a problem to get down there for a quick weekend.

Stunt girl from Poland. Of course she`s tiny so she isn`t as good as guys, but I think she rides well.

This is the better of the two local BMW dealers. Here is a link to their calendar of events:
http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofutah.com/event_calendar.asp?sid=5304217E-04X8K25K2011J9I36I28JAMQ5524R0&date=8%2F25%2F2011

The motorcycle show is over for the year, but they did have BMWs to test ride there.

My time frame will probably be around April or so. Hopefully the snow will have melted enough to make test rides possible. It also looks like they current have a nice 1150GS in stock. What is your expected purchasing time frame?

My time frame will probably be around April or so. Hopefully the snow will have melted enough to make test rides possible. It also looks like they current have a nice 1150GS in stock. What is your expected purchasing time frame?

Eh, more like May, and even then that's no guarantee. iirc, the West end of NoDak is at a higher elevation, similar to Minnesota East of the Red, snow storms in mid-May aren't unheard of. I drove through one or two when travelling around the Detroit Lakes area. Which reminds me, if you get the chance, that area of MN is fun to visit both during the Summer and Winter. They rent out snowmobiles and you can run motorcycles on the trails, which as one local described to me "you can take a different trail every day and not cover the same ground in the same season." Detroit Lakes is also conveniently located "near" the head waters of the Mississippi, which I understand is also great country for a ride. Just take I94 to Fargo, hop onto US10 and ride East, can't miss it. Park Rapids is also another great area, which is "nearby" DL.

Eh, more like May, and even then that's no guarantee. iirc, the West end of NoDak is at a higher elevation, similar to Minnesota East of the Red, snow storms in mid-May aren't unheard of. I drove through one or two when travelling around the Detroit Lakes area. Which reminds me, if you get the chance, that area of MN is fun to visit both during the Summer and Winter. They rent out snowmobiles and you can run motorcycles on the trails, which as one local described to me "you can take a different trail every day and not cover the same ground in the same season." Detroit Lakes is also conveniently located "near" the head waters of the Mississippi, which I understand is also great country for a ride. Just take I94 to Fargo, hop onto US10 and ride East, can't miss it. Park Rapids is also another great area, which is "nearby" DL.

I was in bismarck over easter 2010 and it snowed, delaying our flight. The next day it was gorgeous in the 60s and I saw tons of bikes out, so I'm not too worried about it. The locals tell me on this side of the state we tend not to get the below zero for months on end temps, that is more of a Fargo/Grand Forks problem.

Not sure really, it might be when I get the settlement.

I was in bismarck over easter 2010 and it snowed, delaying our flight. The next day it was gorgeous in the 60s and I saw tons of bikes out, so I'm not too worried about it. The locals tell me on this side of the state we tend not to get the below zero for months on end temps, that is more of a Fargo/Grand Forks problem.

The whole Red River valley is really odd. Being lower than everyone around, they tend to have the coldest winters, but can also have the hottest summers in the area. Nothing like Florida or Texas hot, but it'll touch 90 for a few days.

This thing followed me home yesterday:

314602_10100182917608611_17021193_45953945_5389582_n.jpg

:lmao:

'81 KZ550 with an early '90s Ninja front end (came with the original as well). Even in that state it's a fun little bike to toss around. And as a bonus I've got oh, about 99% of my bike fund leftover to use for more sensible things. Or not. :lol:

I'll get a thread and proof up this weekend when I start tearing into it.

talk about a big rear wheel :shock:

looks cool, i love beater bikes :p

Heh, the rear wheel is only an inch or two taller than the front, but the angle doesn't help.

Went for a spin today with a friend of mine through the countryside.
Positive:
Sunny weather
dry roads
not that much debris on the street
rode his Fireblade briefly and cowardly
Negative:
My wrists hurt from the fireblade
I'm soaked in sweat
I just destroyed my hard earned 'Ring sticker.

I just found out the type of bike I ride was featured in the movie Torque.
(the red white and blue number ridden by the blonde chick at 00:24)

I have mixed feeling about this.

I just found out the type of bike I ride was featured in the movie Torque.
(the red white and blue number ridden by the blonde chick at 00:24)

I have mixed feeling about this.

Damn... that makes the Fast and Furious series look like documentaries on driving, car mechanics and physics... :lol: