Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

It can also be quite dangerous, just ask all the people the Porsche 930 killed.

It does help a lot if the engine the turbo is on was torquey to begin with, which is why I liked my turbo Z - the lag wasn't a problem since the VG30 had more than adequate torque off the line. In fact, most of the time I wasn't even on-boost with it.

Yeah, I can see how those 930 owners died. The only thing that saves me is FWD. My turbo is very similar to the old 930 system. No turbo until 2600rpm, and then all of a sudden a whirring noise comes out of nowhere.

Silly turbo owners. While you wait... and wait... and wait... for your turbo to spool, I'm long gone. :D

eaton-supercharger.jpg

Power everywhere in the rev range! :D

N_motor.jpg

Peak torque everywhere :nod:

N_motor.jpg

Peak torque everywhere :nod:

The base Jaguar six dyno sheets look pretty much the same. Big mesa of torque, even though it's a gasser compared to your diseasel.

Put a blower on it, though, and it gets a lot more interesting especially with the boost turned way up. :D

And then we get to one of my favorite blower cars, the Mustang "Terminator" Cobra.

cobra04dynograph1tv.gif

MOAR power everywhere. :D It's amazing what a filter, pulley, chip, catback and tune will do.

Last edited:
Weird, the 8 felt like it needed revs before hitching up its skirts and going anywhere. Either that or I just had no sensation of speed inside the cabin.

The base Jaguar six dyno sheets look pretty much the same. Big mesa of torque, even though it's a gasser compared to your diseasel.

Put a blower on it, though, and it gets a lot more interesting especially with the boost turned way up. :D

If you put diesel in this engine you will probably hurt it.

The equivalent TDI looks like this:

1_motor.jpg

Last edited:
If you put diesel in this engine you will probably hurt it.

The equivalent TDI looks like this:

1_motor.jpg

Ah, okay, that came across as tiny so I assumed the first graphic was for the diesel that you own. Never mind that part, then. That said, the second one you posted looks to be a bit peaky. IMHO, diesel charts should appear more like this for general use engines (Ford F250 Powerstroke Diesel):
isaac578.4.jpg

As for your first chart, isn't that the combination blower/turbo motor?

Weird, the 8 felt like it needed revs before hitching up its skirts and going anywhere. Either that or I just had no sensation of speed inside the cabin.

Little of both. The AJ-V8 is more of a revver than the big sixes and shares more than a little common philosophical origin with the Ford Modular 4.6. It has less torque down low than the sixes or the V12s it replaced.

Edit: This is what a stock XKR does on the dyno - the V8 really wants to be above 3K before it wakes up, whether NA or blown.

seauko.jpg

Last edited:
VW has put up the beetle stats for the US.

WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE HEATED SEATS RTFGHLKFGHKJFSLDJG

I was happy with all the options until that. They apparently for whatever reason give you less stupid useless crap like touchscreens and those stupid automatic locking cards on the turbo but ALL of them have heated seats despite the turbo having cloth sport seats.
grump.gif

Silly turbo owners. While you wait... and wait... and wait... for your turbo to spool, I'm long gone. :D

eaton-supercharger.jpg

Power everywhere in the rev range! :D
Turbo = performance when you want it and typically more boost/power than supercharged set up. Also variable vane + ball bearing (or even foil bearing) == little lag and shitload of powerrrrr!

Turbo = performance when you want it and typically more boost/power than supercharged set up. Also variable vane + ball bearing (or even foil bearing) == little lag and shitload of powerrrrr!

Yeah, and there's something to be said for the later turbos, but in the generation of car we're talking about here, they didn't ship with variable vane or ball bearing turbos. :D Also, no, turbo does not equal performance when you want it, it equals performance when you want it plus some lag unless you get into asymmetricals or some of the more exotic later derivatives. :p And if you're going to go there, then the supercharger camp gets to bring in *their* later generation gear as well.

Supercharger = power NOW.

As for the power aspect... Top Fuel dragsters, using arguably the most powerful internal combustion engines fitted to a car chassis, all run superchargers. Not turbos. :D

I was happy with all the options until that. They apparently for whatever reason give you less stupid useless crap like touchscreens and those stupid automatic locking cards on the turbo but ALL of them have heated seats despite the turbo having cloth sport seats.
grump.gif

Because they can't compete on price with the competition, so they have to try to compete on features. :p

Last edited:
Ah, okay, that came across as tiny so I assumed the first graphic was for the diesel that you own.

I do not own a diesel, a Superb or even a 2.0 TSI or TDI for that matter.

This is mine, for the less informed (or unable to read the line at the top of the diagram) it is an inline four cylinder one point four litre turbocharged stratified injection petrol VW engine:

L_motor.jpg

As for your first chart, isn't that the combination blower/turbo motor?

No, a twincharged 2.0 would be insane. As far as I know they only did that to the 1.4 so far, looks like this:

M_motor.jpg

grump.gif

If it was up to me it would have wind-up windows and an 8-track player... and carbs... And it would look just like a Mk3 Ford Cortina... Because it would be a Mk3 Ford Cortina... :lol:

Also, who the hell needs heated seats anyway? I have never got into a car and thought "Hmmm, wish the seats were warmer", if it is cold enough that the seat is uncomfortable I am usually too busy being unable to feel my fingers or toes to care...

I do not own a diesel, a Superb or even a 2.0 TSI or TDI for that matter.

This is mine, for the less informed (or unable to read the line at the top of the diagram) it is an inline four cylinder one point four litre turbocharged stratified injection petrol VW engine:

L_motor.jpg

No, a twincharged 2.0 would be insane. As far as I know they only did that to the 1.4 so far, looks like this:

M_motor.jpg
For some reason, I thought you had a diseasel.

Just FYI, on my machine, those charts are coming across as about the size of your avatar, so they're kind of hard to read on the laptop screen.

Well, as long as we're going with tiny engines, I'll go with this .9L naturally aspirated four cylinder:

dyno-2002-hon-919.gif

Nice, long and relatively flat torque curve. Of course, it only has to move 428 pounds of vehicle around, plus the operator...

Why, yes, I favor vehicles with a broad torque band. Why do you ask? :p

If it was up to me it would have wind-up windows and an 8-track player... and carbs... And it would look just like a Mk3 Ford Cortina... Because it would be a Mk3 Ford Cortina... :lol:

Also, who the hell needs heated seats anyway? I have never got into a car and thought "Hmmm, wish the seats were warmer", if it is cold enough that the seat is uncomfortable I am usually too busy being unable to feel my fingers or toes to care...

I'd point out that heated front seats adds *maybe* 3-5 pounds overall to the car, including relays, wiring, switch/control unit and the heating units themselves. It's not a huge detractor from performance; if you don't like them, you need not use them and it's not like they're in the way if you don't want them.

Last edited:
Because they can't compete on price with the competition, so they have to try to compete on features. :p
Then why did they take all the other options off. You can't even have the fancy sound. Who in gods name wants heated seats over a good stereo?

Best of all heated CLOTH seats. Why. When would cloth seats even be cold?

Heated seats are great. About your fingers, has Sir considered a heated steering wheel? :lol:

grump.gif

I'm just a tad confused....it's not like the seat heat is on all the time...I just wouldn't use them.

I actually like the way the VW touchscreen radio looks. Nice big screen + hard buttons is always great.

You can get premium sound by getting the sound and sunroof package. Sadly carmakers aren't into a'la carte optioning anymore. Everything's a fucking package with a whole bunch of shit you'll never use. Even worse, more and more mainstream brands are saying no to build to order.

Last edited:
I hate distracting things in cars so i would never buy one with a touchscreen anything.

Heated seats can be knocked on accidentally (which mom constantly does in her car) and with my health it can cause a flare that can cause convulsions which can cause a freaking car accident.

For some reason, I thought you had a diseasel.

Just FYI, on my machine, those charts are coming across as about the size of your avatar, so they're kind of hard to read on the laptop screen.

The fuel figure in my signature would be quite embarrassing if I had a diesel, no?

They are small images, 270x190. Reads fine on my laptop screen though, get your eyes checked out. Oh, wait, US health care :tease:

When would cloth seats even be cold?

They have the same temperature as leather seats. They would be cold in winter usually.

Then why did they take all the other options off. You can't even have the fancy sound. Who in gods name wants heated seats over a good stereo?

The heated seats are probably there because it's cheaper to buy 250,000 seats with heaters than 230,000 with and 20,000 without.

Best of all heated CLOTH seats. Why. When would cloth seats even be cold?

This is very popular with many women, who seem to want to wear thin skirts and dresses in cold weather. The seat being warmed isn't the *car's* if you get what I mean.

I'm just a tad confused....it's not like the seat heat is on all the time...I just wouldn't use them.

I actually like the way the VW touchscreen radio looks. Nice big screen + hard buttons is always great.

Until they get older and the buttons start rattling.

The fuel figure in my signature would be quite embarrassing if I had a diesel, no?

Not really, remember CrazyJeeper is proud of the fact that he managed to get my 919 down to 28mpg when it normally runs in the 40s and low 50s. :rolleyes:

They are small images, 270x190. Reads fine on my laptop screen though, get your eyes checked out. Oh, wait, US health care :tease:

Not exactly. I'm running a 15" screen at 1920?1080 at the moment. Small graphics are *really* small.

Last edited:
They have the same temperature as leather seats. They would be cold in winter usually.

Leather is always colder or hotter to the touch than cloth, which is why I have seat covers in my car.

The heated seats are probably there because it's cheaper to buy 250,000 seats with heaters than 230,000 with and 20,000 without.
The turbo model has heated leather AND cloth seats though. Wouldn't it make sense to just have heated leather like everyone else?

This is very popular with many women, who seem to want to wear thin skirts and dresses in cold weather. The seat being warmed isn't the *car's* if you get what I mean.
Well then they should wear weather appropriate clothing. That seems like a better solution because their seats will no longer be heated when they need to walk from car to where ever they are going.

Last edited:
The turbo model has heated leather AND cloth seats though. Wouldn't it make sense to just have heated leather like everyone else?

Seat covers (not the kind you add after you buy the car, but the 'skin' of the factory seats) are relatively cheap on the scale that a large manufacturer orders on. It's the stuff under the covers like the framing, the electronics and the foam that (generally) actually costs money.

Well then they should wear weather appropriate clothing. That seems like a better solution because their seats will no longer be heated when they need to walk from car to where ever they are going.

As you should know, your sister females don't always choose the most practical clothing at all times. In fact, lots of women seem to be interested in wearing clothing that makes no practical sense, but that's another story.