The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I saw an AN-124 taking off from the NASA base at Wallops Island today, impressive sight.

I saw an AN-124 taking off from the NASA base at Wallops Island today, impressive sight.

Would love to see a 225 in my lifetime ... I'd feel minuscule in comparison.

By the way it wouldn't hurt to ask, but what was the plane carrying the TG 3 to Irak?

Last edited:
Sent in my first resume today for a flying job. *crosses fingers*

I'm not expecting anything, but I figure the worst they can say is "no"!

^
Good luck there man.
(Did you the post on British Airways recruitment last week?)
:smile:

I dunno. Lack of GPS is scary.

You're not suposed to use gps as your primary means of navigation anyway, so no big deal.

Completely off-topic: what is your favorite widebody to fly on?

^
Good luck there man.
(Did you the post on British Airways recruitment last week?)
:smile:

I went to the website and definitely registered for more info. I guess they're not accepting applications until next year, but you bet your assets I'm going to apply as soon as they do! BA is the airline I would MOST like to fly for...

You're not suposed to use gps as your primary means of navigation anyway, so no big deal.

777, by far!

777, by far!

Having only been on 3, the 737, 747, and 777, the 777 takes my vote as well. Eva Air's 777-300ERs are quite comfortable to be on.

Actually you can use GPS as your primary. As long as the unit you are using is certified. You just have to back it up with a radio based nav aid like a VOR or TACAN

A340

It might change to the A380 if I get to try one out.

I have never had the chance to fly on the 340. Whats it like compared to, say, a 330?

Actually the 330 is probably what i fly most often so i find it pretty comfortable. The seating arrangement cathay pacific has is pretty good for legroom but completely fucks your back on long flights.

Actually you can use GPS as your primary. As long as the unit you are using is certified. You just have to back it up with a radio based nav aid like a VOR or TACAN

Interesting. My instructor told me different, but then again i am still in the early stages so sticking to the old methods probably doesnt hurt. With the advent of gps approaches it would be interesting to see whether they slot gps use into future training programs.

Last edited:
Like I said it depends on the GPS unit being used. Maybe the one in the trainer isn't certified. On the King Air 200 we operate the GPS is used as the primary navigation tool but it's backed up with VORs. The GPS/Rnav approach we can only use it so far into the approach. Iirc we can't use it to the minimums. But the airlines and the GPS unit they have they can use it all the way to the ground.

I have never had the chance to fly on the 340. Whats it like compared to, say, a 330?
It's nice and quiet, which is as important to me as legroom - and I'm properly tall. I recently had the chance to compare an A333 to an A346 (same airline, same class, 10 days apart, very similar routes) and the A346 was, again, by far my favourite. I also prefer 2-4-2 seating over 3-3-3 and 2-5-2, so that's another plus for the A340 compared to the 777.

It's nice and quiet, which is as important to me as legroom - and I'm properly tall. I recently had the chance to compare an A333 to an A346 (same airline, same class, 10 days apart, very similar routes) and the A346 was, again, by far my favourite. I also prefer 2-4-2 seating over 3-3-3 and 2-5-2, so that's another plus for the A340 compared to the 777.

I feel like I'm missing on something by not having ever flown. My only contribution to this thread was that low fly-by video a few posts ago... xD [Which I urge everyone to see by the way]
Let's hope I'll get a few more chances when I grow up.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm missing on something by not having ever flown. My only contribution to this thread was that low fly-by video a few posts ago... xD
Let's hope I'll get a few more chances when I grow up.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return."
attributed to Leonard of Quirm Leonardo da Vinci, although I have no idea if he ever actually tasted flight

It is true, however. You don't get to see stuff like this from down on the ground:

flight_at_dusk.jpg

Last edited:
I envy James or Jeremy for flying on the edge of space in the spy plane/F15E. Now that's an even more spectacular view I bet.

Sent in my first resume today for a flying job. *crosses fingers*

I'm not expecting anything, but I figure the worst they can say is "no"!

Got this reply:

Hi Jeff, what's goin' on ?

I got your resume and cover letter this morning - nice work. Best cover letter I've seen both structurally and grammatically. Not currently looking for pilots here but we'll definitely keep you in mind if you happen to move back to the area. We typically need someone with a little more time, say 500 hrs and 50 multi. FFC seems to be going through 2 instructors a week lately.

best of luck,
keep in touch,

Good news if you ask me. Turns out, the guy who replied is an old acquaintance of mine, who took me up for aerobatics for the first time, many years ago, and is now the chief pilot for the company. I told him I'm very willing to move back into the area and if something opens up, to give me a call, especially since I'm increasing my flight hours continuously. I'm glad my cover letter impressed, and even though my flying portion of my resume is still weak-ish, the rest of it rounds me out nicely. Its a good victory, and a bit of the kick in the pants I needed to keep going strong. I'll keep you all in the loop!