What does rep measure, and how will I build mine?

^^:lol: :lol:

The title says it all. I would like to know how people build high reputations (so that I may do the same).

I strongly suggest you behave how you would naturally. If you start posting it up for the sake of posting to gain rep, you are going to piss senior members off and consequently get negative rep. The other thing is, you can make all the great post you can, but you have to be accepted by "the family" that we have here. We are pretty tight knit group.

Best of luck, don't be an ass.

It can be pretty daunting to post and try to respond with others who have been on the site for many years as many of you have, but sometimes if you have something interesting to say or if you play video games you might find some people to talk to in the entertainment section. I don't play too many of the shooting games- I have nothing much to talk about, but racing games are popular too (I'm working on getting some of those).

My suggestion is to read a lot of posts. You'll get the general idea of what people are talking about and you get to know how some people are on the forums (also, you'll know who not to be, because you'll notice names being mentioned negatively in posts, such as the Hotpants debacle. Basically, don't be a dumb and you'll probably be alright).

Also, a lot of people here are pretty decently nice and help you out if you don't know something/parts of things, which I've come to greatly appreciate. Being on here is definitely a learning experience if you let it be. :mrgreen:

I'll admit, before I joined in november I lurked for at least a year if not longer lol. Just didnt feel like I'd fit in amongst the awesomeness. :p

Looking at my user cp page, funny pictures and having boobs is how to get rep.

I'll admit, before I joined in november I lurked for at least a year if not longer lol. Just didnt feel like I'd fit in amongst the awesomeness. :p

Lurking is the way to go. I didn't post for a year or so as well.

To be honest I have no idea why my rep is so high.

-Do not post anything with the idea of gaining rep, you will look like the new kid trying to hard.
-Do not post unfunny 'funny' demotivators with the text in Lithuanian.....although that could be just me.
-Do not claim to own cars you don't.
-Do not start a gazillion topics all boiling down to 'what should I buy' or 'Hey! Watch this'
-Do not be a 16 year old, if you absoluutly have to try not to act like one.

Oh you needed POSITIVE feedback? Sorry, not my field.

I've just done some maths: approx. 16% of my +rep over the past few months is down to Pikachu.

However, were it not for everyone being so nice, the -rep that Pikachu would provide me would probably result in a net loss.

The ideal ratio of conversation is 30% talking versus 70% listening, try to match that. Now, I had no knowledge of this previously so most of my posts are just vague asinine comments with the occasional moment of second hand wisdom stolen from various works of literature, film or TV. As for Rep, meh, spend enough time here and as long as you don't say anything too outrageous, it doesn't really mean that much around here, as long as you're in the green, you're in the clear. Those in the red get shoved out the door very very quickly.

A sense of humour helps. Forgive people posting in various sorts of English (main varieties are US and British, but Aussies have their own short hand sometimes) and remember some people are posting in their 2nd or even 3rd languages so Grammar Nazi behaviour should be carefully considered before being written in a post.