Ford's 'Capri' 2+2 GT fastback concept

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Ford?s extraordinary new 2+2 GT fastback concept for the Frankfurt motor show previews the design of every future model from the Blue Oval ? and opens debate as to whether the firm is ready to reinvent the iconic Capri for the 21st century.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258885/
26811113455757234x155.jpg

It is interesting, especially the four gull-wing doors. However, the hybrid powertrain and the zero chance to see it built are annoying. A turbo 4, and a 6spd manual would make it much more desirable.

6094301264_66956e5051_b.jpg

many more pictures here

Last edited:
Give it a 4cyl turbo, RWD and a manual transmission (maybe optional ecoboost V6) and you have a winner.

Might make a good nose for the next Mustang, other than that it's just another concept car that will never be built.

Might make a good nose for the next Mustang, other than that it's just another concept car that will never be built.

Don't be so certain. Give it RWD and a conventional powertrain, add some regular doors et voila! Noone expected the Iosis concept to be produced and that is the current Mondeo. Given enough positive reaction they will build it I am sure and if they price it right it will sell in decent numbers.

It looks a lot like the new front Peugeot is going with, which I guess isn't a bad thing anymore.

They've been promising a 'new Capri' for ages though, I'll believe it when I see it.

As far as outside looks I like it. A lot actually, it stunning. I can only hope that we see a car like that. As far as interior, I hate it. A lot actually, it's garbage. I can only hope we never see a car like that.

Looks good, eco humbug sounds terrible, doors will never happen.....

I can see some of this coming back as a coupe based on the next focus though, (if they can keep costs down by shoving as much normal Focus in it as possible)
Ford's European lineup could do with something like it, they haven't had anything remotly coupe for years.

Last edited:
If they build that, I'll order one! Getting rid of my beloved A6...

...no seriously I do! :)

What niche does the capri traditionally fill in the ford lineup?

The Capri is Fords Manta.

Last edited:
You say that like it's a bad thing :p

Ford are doing some good stuff these days! Yes I like this, you have to see it in the 'flesh' and they must get the engines, drive train and handling (good but not so firm as to put off young couples using it for a daily driver) right and that is a certain winner.

If I were GM and Chrysler I'd actually look to 'up my game' or die - sooner or later.

But I bet following this run of good stuff they will let the bean counters back in and muck up the products.

Last edited:
Meh... this is one of those concepts I hope does get parred down quite a ways. These "futury" cars all look the same.

I love the current and previous generation Mustang, for example; a perfect blend of a classic design with modern touches. It still looks new, but it still looks like a 'Stang.

With this, I really hope that, for once, the company actually makes the concept. While the gull wings may be too much for some (I think they look great, but I imagine it would not be possible to make an inexpensive car with 4 gull wings and no B-pillar), the shape of the car is beautiful. It has less of a future look and more of a 'going forward' look. Put a 6 cylinder in there with RWD and you've got yourself a serious competitor.

four gullwing doors has been done by ford not long ago in the Iosis concept. that resulted in the handsome current Mondeo so I'm hopeful for this. \

ford-iosis-2f.jpg

Attachments

• ford-iosis-2f.jpg
    ford-iosis-2f.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 60
Well ignoring the name it looks pretty good, the front end is a little too Aston Martin but I'm sure that'll resolve itself. It's about time Ford had a good 2+2.

I do have a problem with the name though. For the last 10 years we've been used to car manufacturers coming along and releasing modern retro takes on old cars (see VW, Mini, Fiat, etc.) so because this bears no resemblance to the old Capri they should be wary of doing a Citroen and shitting all over the old name (I personally think that someone should be strung up for re-using the DS name, despite the fact that I like the DS3).

That's my opinion, see Defender thread for the explanation. :p

I love the look. Reminds me of the last Cougar. I'd like to hope it will be based off the next Mustang platform, but I'm guessing it will share the Focus' base.