Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Electric cars suck mmkay.

In other news:

My parents have a 2010 Jetta TDI. It's white, with the automatic 6-speed DSG (+$1,000), a sunroof (+$1,000) and about 30,000 miles.

The car had an MSRP for $22,660. With options it was $24,660. Parents talked them down to $22,500 when they bought it in probably late 2009, early 2010.

Kelley Blue Book on the car, with those options and that amount of miles, is $24,995. How is it worth MORE than it was when it was brand new!? They're even going for $23-25,000 on Ebay! Talk about holding value!

Just thought I'd share.

If you need to refill it to get more than two times the energy of one AA battery then it does not contain "the same amount of energy as 1000 disposable AA batteries". Your link, no point in wiggling out.

Already said I was wrong about that, see post 25555 above.

How do you arrive at 1000 refill cycles? Your own link and quote says 100.

Take a look at their FAQs: http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/files/MinipakFAQ.pdf

From there:
Q: is the MiniPak environmentally?friendly?
A: Besides contributing to overall efficiency, Horizon?s new micro?fuel cell system offers numerous environmental benefits. Only one of its Hydrostik fuel cartridges can deliver the same amount of power over its lifetime than roughly 1000 disposable alkaline AA batteries, while storing more energy at a lower cost. In addition, they do not contain any toxic materials and can be completely recycled using conventional methods.
Replacing 600?3000 AA size batteries is based on the following assumptions, 1 Hydrostick = 6 Duracell AA batteries, on average. At 1W power output, 1 Hydrostick = 10 AA batteries (1 AA battery runs 1 hour at 1W) 100 charge cycles/canister at this stage, however can reach 500 cycles, even up to 1000 cycles. 6*100= 600 batteries. 6*500=3000 AA batteries.

They further say one cartridge fill can replace 10 disposable batteries... that's expecting 1.1Wh per battery, quite pathetic really. Didn't you yourself talk about 4000mAh at 1.5V? Surely not 100% of that is usable, but 1.1Wh would be less than 20%.
Replacing 10 is very far on the optimistic side, maybe three or four rather than the theoretical two? One cartridge is $10, how much are three or four disposable batteries? Less.

Right now, these are being marketed more to commercial and business users rather than to residential/individual customers. It does, however, make more financial sense than vast quantities of NiMHs or disposables in field situations. One of my clients is thinking about buying these things for field power packs. We have a tote half full of dead NiMH batteries that won't charge any more, waiting to be full so we can send it off to a recycler. It should fill up by Christmas, then we'll get it emptied and start again. That's getting to be ridiculous so they're looking at other alternatives; they're also looking at getting the Hydropack powerpack as well as some of their other products. We're supposed to be getting the evaluation units in about 6 more weeks, so I can tell you more then.

At any rate, one cartridge is $10 (for now), but can then be recharged at least 100 times. It's not "buy one cartridge and toss it," field tests have shown that a cartridge can be refilled and reused for up to 1000 times if it is not physically damaged.

They say this thing is 176cm?. One AA battery projected as a cuboid (ie measured without using the space between two) is about 9.8cm?, hence this thing is as large as eighteen AA batteries packed badly, you could space space by interlacing them at half-battery offsets but I'm too lazy to do the maths, maybe twenty.

My external booster pack for the iPhone is about that size and doesn't charge the thing as fast as this thing is said to be able to do. It also takes four AAs; keep in mind that this unit isn't just "power pack" but also a self-regulating USB charger, as is the MiniPak, so it contains more than just batteries and some wires.

Charging it with the $500 station takes one hour at 60W, or 60Wh. With that energy you could charge loads of NiMH or Lithium batteries storing much more than just 20% of the energy you put in. Without hydrogen storage you don't have instant recharging.
It doesn't have more power than a battery - this thing produces only 2.5W of power. A battery of the same weight would give you dozens of Watts of power.

Perhaps (the literature seems to disagree with you, as they claim it's at least 10-15% more efficient to charge than batteries) but it would also weigh a lot more; the maker says that it weighs less than batteries of similar size. And as I've said above, the entire thing isn't filled with a fuel cell, either.

They also have an optional solar panel that can be used for charging on site.

Electric cars suck mmkay.

In other news:

My parents have a 2010 Jetta TDI. It's white, with the automatic 6-speed DSG (+$1,000), a sunroof (+$1,000) and about 30,000 miles.

The car had an MSRP for $22,660. With options it was $24,660. Parents talked them down to $22,500 when they bought it in probably late 2009, early 2010.

Kelley Blue Book on the car, with those options and that amount of miles, is $24,995. How is it worth MORE than it was when it was brand new!? They're even going for $23-25,000 on Ebay! Talk about holding value!

Just thought I'd share.

It's called "Cash For Clunkers" and elevated fuel prices distorting the hell out of the used car market. Also, the marked increase in inflation reduces a dollar's buying power (as well I know from trying to buy stuff from overseas of late.)

Last edited:
Yeah, watch what happens to the resale value once it is out of warranty...

One of my clients is thinking about buying these things for field power packs.

What do they intend to power with these?

At any rate, one cartridge is $10 (for now), but can then be recharged at least 100 times. It's not "buy one cartridge and toss it," field tests have shown that a cartridge can be refilled and reused for up to 1000 times if it is not physically damaged.

$10 will give you a bunch of rechargeable AAs that can be recharged at least 100 times as well. Much higher cycle numbers have anecdotal evidence as well.

My external booster pack for the iPhone is about that size and doesn't charge the thing as fast as this thing is said to be able to do.

At 2W recharging a 3.7V 1.4Ah battery would take roughly three hours and drain half a cartridge, so it's two charges per cartridge. Refilling that cartridge takes 60Wh from the grid, 30Wh per charge. Charging your battery directly takes much less, I'd say under ten.

the literature seems to disagree with you, as they claim it's at least 10-15% more efficient to charge than batteries

A NiMH battery will return 70% of the charge you put in, a Lithium battery will return 80%. This thing takes 60Wh to charge an 11Wh cartridge, that's less than 20%. How's that better?

They also have an optional solar panel that can be used for charging on site.

Yeah, the 30W solar panel will charge a canister in two hours under ideal light conditions... or provide fifteen times the power output of the FC.

Another thing where they are circumnavigating the facts is their math on replacing X number of batteries:

At 1W power output, 1 Hydrostick = 10 AA batteries (1 AA battery runs 1 hour at 1W)

...yeah, replace ten AAs at 1W power output. Wait, that's 10W of power output. How are their 2W of power supposed to replace 10W of power??

Additionally, their stated 11Wh of energy contained in the canister will not be provided at 2W of power output. They say 10Wh at 1.5W... at 1.5W it is only replacing 1.5 AA batteries in terms of power, and at 10Wh of recoverable charge its efficiency (60Wh to charge, remember) drops to under 17% (not accounting for efficiency of electricity generation and transportation as these would affect charging batteries as well).

You might wanna check used VW values in the US before saying that :p

You might want to check out the post I responded to.

narf.JPG
That's way too much math for 5 in the goddamn morning!! :p

Great News!!! No, it isn't the Dacia Sandero, but I did find out today that my Focus will be arriving in a week! Definitely excited about that, I've been waiting for quite a while now, since it was delayed twice.

Anyway, in somewhat car-related news, I drove by the F1 construction site about 20 miles from my house today. Coming along nicely, it won't be hosting any race anytime soon aside from possibly a rally, but you can see the profile of the track and the track buildings are starting to be built. I'll be there next November.

So my motoring decision has boiled down to a choice between selling my Series and buying a ~1995 Discovery or spending money fitting a diesel engine (not too difficult but would cost more than the extra I'd pay for the Disco).

I'd love to keep my Series but unless something changes it no longer fits my needs properly. Fuel costs are simply too high and it's too tiring to drive. Plans for the Series would be the aforementioned diesel engine, plus power steering, some comfy seats with normal seat belts, maybe some softer leaf springs and some soundproofing. Not cheap but I love the simplicity of the Series and at the right times its a joy to be in it.

Just doing my nightly CL browsing when I saw this.

Not bad shape, and the miles are pretty low. Price is a bit on the high side though.

But what really made me laugh was this word in the text of the ad: uncomplicated.

I'm not sure I would call a 20 year sports coupe with twin turbos, AWD, 4 wheel steering and electrically controlled spoilers and exhaust "uncomplicated".

So my motoring decision has boiled down to a choice between selling my Series and buying a ~1995 Discovery or spending money fitting a diesel engine (not too difficult but would cost more than the extra I'd pay for the Disco).

I'd love to keep my Series but unless something changes it no longer fits my needs properly. Fuel costs are simply too high and it's too tiring to drive. Plans for the Series would be the aforementioned diesel engine, plus power steering, some comfy seats with normal seat belts, maybe some softer leaf springs and some soundproofing. Not cheap but I love the simplicity of the Series and at the right times its a joy to be in it.

can you do that in the UK?
over here it would be "computer says no"

can you do that in the UK?
over here it would be "computer says no"

You can indeed, it's a very common thing with Series Land Rovers. Some people go as far as fitting coil springs and if you're careful it can still be registered as the original vehicle. Change too much and it either has to take the registration number of the donor vehicle or a Q plate.

i don't think they would care if you fitted coil overs, but we just can't touch the engine :(

it came from factory with this one! and this one it shall remain! you can't even up the power...