Texas Highway Speed Limits To Increase Today (+5mph, night limits gone)

No, Denmark is not even remarkable. Sweden has increased their safe 110km/h to extrememe sounding 120km/h on some of their roads. To think you can drive such an insane speed in perfectly good highway when you're only secured by latest Volvo technology in metallurgy and electronics... :lol:

But it's kind of fun to drive through Sweden and Denmark to Germany. At first steady cursing cruising at 110 or 120 through Sweden, then entering Denmark and going 130 for a while before reaching Germany and waiting for the first sign of freedom and just flooring the car :cool:

If you get caught you have the means to defend yourself in court.

Also tell him you don't want the stupid blue bulbs
Where did they get 65mph for NYS? We have a state limit of 55, yes that means the fucking Thruway as in the road that goes from NYC to Buffallo through NOWHERE!

Great, USA raising limits, Germany getting more and more limited. I am seriously tempted to start buying radar detection shit here in Germany, it is just no fun any more.
And regarding lorry speed limits: I welcome not having 150km/h 40 ton deathmobiles on the roads as they destroy enough shit already when crashing into traffic jams, but the limit to 80 is just hilarious.

A fun little image:

800px-US_speed_limits_Jul_2011.svg.png

Well, crossing Utah should be fun - crossing the Bonneville Salt Flats at anything less than 80-85 MPH would be pure tedium anyway.

I don't know why Nevada doesn't have an 80 MPH speed limit, though - it's one of the most deserted states in the Lower 48 and at one time didn't even have a speed limit.

I'll never understand that - 40 years ago it was considered fine to drive at 100 MPH in a car with bias-ply tires, no seatbelts and a hard steel dash with protruding switches, but now lawmakers are concerned that people will suddenly explode if they venture over 65 MPH?

Wait - I do understand. Follow the money. Insurance companies contribute to political campaigns and urge the lawmakers to keep speed limits artificially low. Police write more tickets, insurance premiums go up.

Higher limits are always good. Kansas just went from 70mph to 75mph, which much like Texas simply means that people will get lower fines on their speeding tickets. The KHP used to let people do 10 over on the interstates, I'm hoping they'll continue that policy and effectively let people get away with 85mph.

Then again, are there even cops in the outback? :lol: (I would totally floor it)
Mad-Max.jpg

Is that right? :lol:

Wait - I do understand. Follow the money. Insurance companies contribute to political campaigns and urge the lawmakers to keep speed limits artificially low. Police write more tickets, insurance premiums go up.
Not only that, but politicians can pull that off under the guises of safety and lowering fuel consumption.

So I am a bit confused and have heard differing things. Is the 65 night limit instantly out tonight or do we have to wait till the signs get taken down? I know we have to wait for the signs to change before it is officially 75/80/85.

The separate truck and night speed limits are gone and unenforceable as of today. No waiting for the signs on that part.

The whole 55 MPH speed limit was intially promoted as a fuel saving measure. It wasn't until 1977 when Joan Claybrook was appointed head of the NHTSA was it promoted as saving lives as well.

So I am a bit confused and have heard differing things. Is the 65 night limit instantly out tonight or do we have to wait till the signs get taken down? I know we have to wait for the signs to change before it is officially 75/80/85.

I'd stick to the posted limits:

However, any increases in speed limits are not officially in effect until the physical signs are installed.

I'd stick to the posted limits:

Narf, per TXDOT, that applies to the 70 to 75 increase, not the night and truck limits. Those go away immediately.

The whole 55 MPH speed limit was intially promoted as a fuel saving measure. It wasn't until 1977 when Joan Claybrook was appointed head of the NHTSA was it promoted as saving lives as well.

Yup, and it turned out that while it saved a little fuel it cost the economy literally billions in wasted travel time.

Claybrook also mandated the 85mph speedometer at the same time, another 'brilliant' idea.

Last edited:
A fun little image:

*The map image*

That's not strictly accurate anymore either, at least for Utah.

the limit on most of I-15 south of Nephi and North of Cedar City is now 80 mph, and has been for some time now. (excepting the mountain passes, where the limit is 75 or 65)

Last edited:
Yeah but oddly enough, Ohio just upped their speed limit to 70 this year and the map shows it.

I wish this were the state of Ontario speed limits but instead we're not allowed to go 150 km/h without risking your car being impounded and possibly crushed. Our highest posted speed limit in this massive province is 100 km/h, its so appropriate that I see a lot of Toronto Police and OPP cruisers going 140 km/h on our highways. I think its sort of stupid to have these limits when nobody follows them to begin with, any time I drive on the 401, 404 or 407 a majority of the drivers don't drive 100 but rather 120. Before the street racing law which is fantastic for the tow truck lobby, most drove 150 km/h on the 401 express(so called Ontariobahn)...safest bit of driving I've done in my lifetime. My old Cressida was absolutely happy to drive at that speed...funny enough the fuel economy one of the best runs I've done in that car. One Toronto city councilor wanted to reduce the downtown core speed limits which is already hopeless congested at its current 40 km/h down to 30(less than 20 mph), thankfully he was fired easily in 2010. There are more candidates who want to reduce speed limits, there are zero candidates in favor of increasing them.

From what I heard Montana still doesn't have a speed limit for the most part. If not officially.

From what I heard Montana still doesn't have a speed limit for the most part. If not officially.

iirc, Montana officially has speed limits everywhere (they had to implement them to get federal funding or some such), but they're not really reinforced.

Great, USA raising limits, Germany getting more and more limited. I am seriously tempted to start buying radar detection shit here in Germany, it is just no fun any more.
And regarding lorry speed limits: I welcome not having 150km/h 40 ton deathmobiles on the roads as they destroy enough shit already when crashing into traffic jams, but the limit to 80 is just hilarious.

That would drive me insane!

I mean - Katy Perry? Really? :dunno:

That would drive me insane!

I mean - Katy Perry? Really? :dunno:

Germans looooove terrible American music for some reason. In fact, Germany is the only reason why David Hasselhoff still has a career; any time he releases an album, half of Germany buys it immediately.

The other half buys it within a couple of months. :p