Stupid Driver Stories

Might want to double check - the manufacturer should know. Other option is to install a dual mode switch and hide the thing someplace when inspection time comes around.

That's an option, really. Well it's pretty much a must-do if you want to install most of the aftermarket products, even completely safe things. On the last car, I swapped the tail lights with an aftermarket set (nothing strange or riced, just clear-looking indicators and backlights), it was also ok with our super-strict regulations, so it was perfectly legal, but to be fully compliant I needed to bring along the product's paper together with the other car documents. All the time.

Not that anybody had ever asked or checked for them anyway...

As the saying goes, rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Nice saying.

It's made in Italy, how can it be illegal there?

Because it's made by a company not owned by Berlusconi. :p

On the other hand, who the slagging heck is ever going to check the horn on a technical inspection?

Going to have to get one for the Lexus.

Ever wondered why their site's language is... english? :)

Seriously, though. I don't really know if it's legal. Because of the excessively strict regulations, it's common use here to consider everything illegal unless otherwise specified.

Going to have to get one for the Lexus.

over here, a horn's sound can't exceed 80dB
there is no law that prevents anyone from making a louder one though...

Motherfucking idiot fucking cockbag knobgobbler..... Making a right from a stop check to see that my lane is empty (it is) start going and almost get into a HEAD ON collision with a moron in an SUV who decided that a guy in front of him was going too slow over a huge ass speedbump and should be overtaken over a double yellow.... Of course instead of going 50 feet further where there are no side roads he had to do it right in front of a turning. At least he had enough brains to go around me when I slammed on my brake

Almost crashed into the same chick in an orange Punto TWICE today in the space of 1 minute.

I was on a 2 lane road, in the right lane, which is reserved for turning off into a short street, which leads into a parking lot. I approach the entrance, closing the distance to the car in front of me, when this chick from the left lane cuts in in front of me, without signaling. This was the first time I had to give my ABS a good work out. So, after she cuts in and proceeds down the street, I follow at a safe distance and she just stops on the right side. I wait a bit, seeing what she'll do, seemingly nothing, so I signal left to go around her and just as I'm almost completely side by side, she darts out left without signaling again. I barely turned left enough for her not to smash into my side. At that point I almost got out of my car to smack her smoking, on-the-phone face, but I was late to an event so I just drove forward to the parking lot...

21.png

Last edited:
Must be a special day today... So I was behind a blond in an SUV at a traffic light (we all know where this is going...) light turns green, I wait 2 seconds and give a quick honk (not like a "fuck you" honk a quick one to get attention) she ignores it, I honk again this time more forceful she starts moving SUPER slow. At this point I get annoyed and lay on my horn so do like 4 cars behind me. So she moves off to the side (sloooowly) stops and has the audacity to open her window and YELL AT ME.....

So this will be a road-trip special, encapsulating all of the idiocy on my recent trip to Elmsford, NY.

My trip started off with a briliant display in the form of an idiot who, rather than use the two open lanes in the 3-lane free way, rather went around me on the right using an exit ramp. This was in Ohio.

The trip was uneventful until I got to New Jersey, where promptly having to fight traffic on the I287 (part of it being washed out), a red (I think it was an Eclipse) flew past at about 100 mph+ (I was still getting use to the fact that no one in the NYC area seems to know what a "speed limit" is).

Next, finally in New York State, trying to get the interchange to I87, merging over right, the truck in behind in the on/off ramp decided to floor it and undertake me as I was between lanes. Naturally about 3 or 4 other cars followed him.

Then on the actual ramp, I got stuck behind a slow moving truck. Okay, except I almost get rear ended, said idiot then proceeds to remain an inch off my tail end before cutting someone off in the left lane.

Finally in Elmsford, I was coming up to an intersection to turn left. A dump truck was stuck making a left turn and was blocking opposing traffic (to the sounds of honking). As he finally clears the intersection, a car in the right hand lane (of two lanes) cuts me off, and nearly plows into oncoming traffic, which at this point in time was actually in the intersection.

The last true idiocy was in White Plains. I was in a right turn lane, pulling up to an intersection just as the lights turned red. Someone in a black sedan (300C, possibly) flies up in the left lane (straight only), and without stopping or signalling, cuts me off, runs the red light, and makes a right turn.

Otherwise, I honestly don't understand how NYC isn't just jammed up full of car crashes and flattened pedestrians.

Otherwise, I honestly don't understand how NYC isn't just jammed up full of car crashes and flattened pedestrians.
Ever seen videos of driving in India? Same thing :p

Also we don't have speed limits, we have speed SUGGESTIONS :p

Today I spent about 10 minutes stuck behind a woman driving a Santa Fe with 'My Family' stickers on the back, who was driving at least 20km/h below the speed limit at all times. She was doing 30 in a 50 zone, took about a minute to accelerate to that speed from a red light, and then while entering the freeway, (limit of 110km/h), she got up to the dizzying speeds of 50km/h. When you drive like that, I suggest you don't have personalised number plates that clearly state your name, Ellie.

Tight circular on-ramp on my normal commute, getting on to Route 2. Accelerate to match traffic, but if I just stay in my lane I end up almost immediately at the next exit ramp, which is where I need to go. Surprise! Work van parked at the end of the ramp. This happens occasionally because fucking idiots can't merge, but there was no traffic in sight. There's one other car directly ahead of me stuck behind the van. After a few seconds the van starts moving and changes lanes onto the highway. The other car stays in lane and heads toward the exit. Surprise #2! Van cuts the car off to swerve back into the now exit lane. His driving is a bit dodgey up the ramp and onto 495, where he merges with a very sudden movement. Equally suddenly, me moves over again into the middle lane, badly cutting off a faster car.

I managed to catch up a bit down the road, and of course, he's talking on his cell phone....

EDIT: a little illustration

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thevictor390/2011/09/03/Capture.jpg

Red box - van's stopped position. Red line - van's path.

Last edited:
Ever seen videos of driving in India? Same thing :p

Also we don't have speed limits, we have speed SUGGESTIONS :p

You know, those videos were exactly what I was reminded of. Everytime I got to a crosswalk I kept having to say to myself "When in Rome..." while stepping off with a crowd of people against a red light. Otherwise I had a great time with what little of NYC I got to poke around.

On the other hand, who the slagging heck is ever going to check the horn on a technical inspection?
Checking horn functionality is part of the checklist in our controls. It's classified as a vital safety component so if it doesnt work, you get the joy of taking your car to inspection again.

Checking horn functionality is part of the checklist in our controls. It's classified as a vital safety component so if it doesnt work, you get the joy of taking your car to inspection again.

Yup, same here in the UK.

Just happened 5 minutes ago or less.

I was driving out of my home to go get a carwash. I'm turning right from my complex into an uphill road, cars parked on the side. I don't see this dumb cockhole guy running in the middle of the road. That's right, road, not sidewalk. I don't hit him or anything. I stopped immediately as he came into view. He gives me a look like wtf and then hits my car as he runs past. I had 2 options, continue turning right or go after him.

I went after him. Opened my window and yelled across the street: "Who told you to run in the middle of the fucking road dumb motherfucker".

Fucking hidden away by the cars, in the middle of the road and you try to fault ME? Fuck that noise.

Just happened 5 minutes ago or less.

I was driving out of my home to go get a carwash. I'm turning right from my complex into an uphill road, cars parked on the side. I don't see this dumb cockhole guy running in the middle of the road. That's right, road, not sidewalk. I don't hit him or anything. I stopped immediately as he came into view. He gives me a look like wtf and then hits my car as he runs past. I had 2 options, continue turning right or go after him.

I went after him. Opened my window and yelled across the street: "Who told you to run in the middle of the fucking road dumb motherfucker".

Fucking hidden away by the cars, in the middle of the road and you try to fault ME? Fuck that noise.
Don't you have that retarded pedestrian right of way law in CA where they pretty much have the right of way no matter what.

OK this one was funny, I was driving through the Home Depot parking lot on the portion that goes from one side to the other. Some older lady and her husband making a left, don't see me so I honk and go around them the guy proceeds to yell at me and then park by the storage place at the end of the lot. So I'm like "oh no you don't" and pull up to the car, before he starts yelling I calmly ask for his attention and ask him to let me get through what I'm about to say. So I explain how I understand that its difficult to see to the right when making a left and that as I had the right of way I honked my horn and went around his car. He calmed down real fast and said that the only reason he was upset was because I scared his wife. Maybe I should go into politics :p

Last edited:
Don't you have that retarded pedestrian right of way law in CA where they pretty much have the right of way no matter what.

Yeah but, I don't think it applies or at least shouldn't apply if you're endangering yourself. People can be stupid as hell sometimes dude.

OK this one was funny, I was driving through the Home Depot parking lot on the portion that goes from one side to the other. Some older lady and her husband making a left, don't see me so I honk and go around them the guy proceeds to yell at me and then park by the storage place at the end of the lot. So I'm like "oh no you don't" and pull up to the car, before he starts yelling I calmly ask for his attention and ask him to let me get through what I'm about to say. So I explain how I understand that its difficult to see to the right when making a left and that as I had the right of way I honked my horn and went around his car. He calmed down real fast and said that the only reason he was upset was because I scared his wife. Maybe I should go into politics :p

You should. I'm usually calm when it comes to noise in the real world, I don't really yell at anyone. But once it comes to cars and driving, if I'm by myself and someone is doing something life-endangering, oh believe me there will be swearing.

It's not no matter what, at least outside of crosswalks, at least that's how I understand it. You are supposed to stop for people in the street as long as it's safe to do so... but if it's too late to stop, the pedestrian is not visible because of conditions, (such as being hidden by a hill crest...) or if you will cause a huge pileup by stopping... well then I'm pretty sure a pedestrian would be shit outta luck. both legally and physically. So in other words, had our running friend wound up under LP's car, I'm pretty sure Mr. runner guy wouldn't have had much of a case.

Yup, same here in the UK.

Odd, sure you have to have a working one here, but I have never had it checked on any vehicle in a technical inspection....then again they aren't exactly know for their efficiency either.

Indicatorglass a little cracked? FAIL! BIG FAIL! Come back next week and gives us some more of your money.
Wheel almost falling off? Meh.....it will be fine.