Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Intel, y u no adopt usb 3?

Apple, y u think thunderbolt can replace everything? There's approximately zero thunderbolt products on the market. If there were thunderbolt adapters that did the same stuff as express cards it would be fine, but no there's just a hole where thunderbolt's supposed to replace express cards. No express card slot, no usb 3 -> thunderbolt adapters, 15" inch macbook pro no able to USB 3. :/

/has new 15" MBP and USB 3.0 external harddrive. Not my fault, the harddrive was in the package of stuff my college put together for my particular course... which is all done on our leased MBPs. Good job! Pfft. :p

Last edited:
Intel, y u no adopt usb 3?

Apple, y u think thunderbolt can replace everything? There's approximately zero thunderbolt products on the market. If there were thunderbolt adapters that did the same stuff as express cards it would be fine, but no there's just a hole where thunderbolt's supposed to replace express cards. No express card slot, no usb 3 -> thunderbolt adapters, 15" inch macbook pro no able to USB 3. :/

/has new 15" MBP and USB 3.0 external harddrive. Not my fault, the harddrive was in the package of stuff my college put together for my particular course... which is all done on our leased MBPs. Good job! Pfft. :p
There are TB products, might even be a USB 3.0 <-> TB adapter. There are rumors on Apple working on USB 3.0 controller, though I don't really understand why they didn't do it for the current crop of MBPs

21.5" 1080p monitors are getting cheap. Around $90 on sale. This being said I really want a 120 Hz IPS panel monitor (when they finally exist.) Not so much for 3D, but more to be able to watch 24 FPS movies properly and be able to game up to that refresh rate.

So my fiancee's Droid Incredible [how crappy it is] has been getting progressively worse. She can't get a new phone till about December and we got our hands on free Palm Pixi Plus. So I was setting it up and playing around with it and I have to say this is a perfect example of how bad luck/timing can kill (lets face it it's essentially dead) a great product. The notification system is better than any other phone in existence, the idea of apps running like they would on a desktop is BRILLIANT as they become their own widgets, and closing them is even more intuitive than iOS with its "recently used apps bar". About the only thing I don't like is having to into an "apps" drawer/menu to start more apps.

So my fiancee's Droid Incredible [how crappy it is] has been getting progressively worse. She can't get a new phone till about December and we got our hands on free Palm Pixi Plus. So I was setting it up and playing around with it and I have to say this is a perfect example of how bad luck/timing can kill (lets face it it's essentially dead) a great product. The notification system is better than any other phone in existence, the idea of apps running like they would on a desktop is BRILLIANT as they become their own widgets, and closing them is even more intuitive than iOS with its "recently used apps bar". About the only thing I don't like is having to into an "apps" drawer/menu to start more apps.

:nod: indeed. WebOS was never the problem. It began with Palm announcing the Pre wayyy too early (although they did a damn good job) so the buzz died down, then the hardware quality on that first one was poor..adding insult to injury and only going from there with uninspired designs like the pixi and veer and stuff.

The lackluster hardware and totally incompetent marketing was Palm/HP's problem. :(

I'm completely stumped by your fiancee's DInc issues....it's generally seen as a solid handset and my Dad's has been perfect. Just odd as a DInc is a Nexus One with Verizon branding/body and Sense.

Just flash a new ROM to it. Also, really starting to kick myself for not grabbing a TouchPad. Even though I only used it for about 30 seconds, I could tell that WebOS was something good.

My brother's computer:

tumblr_lqzmqbP50v1qcnmbio1_500.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure why he went with a Micro board in a full tower. It's so empty in there.

:nod: indeed. WebOS was never the problem. It began with Palm announcing the Pre wayyy too early (although they did a damn good job) so the buzz died down, then the hardware quality on that first one was poor..adding insult to injury and only going from there with uninspired designs like the pixi and veer and stuff.

The lackluster hardware and totally incompetent marketing was Palm/HP's problem. :(

I'm completely stumped by your fiancee's DInc issues....it's generally seen as a solid handset and my Dad's has been perfect. Just odd as a DInc is a Nexus One with Verizon branding/body and Sense.
I kinda like the Pixi design actually, its very nice and tiny.

Interestingly she is not the only one I know, another friend of ours had hers replaced TWICE, second time they replaced it with DInc 2. Out of the three people I know only one has no problems with it. Maybe they are just more abusive towards their phones? :shrug:
Just flash a new ROM to it.
I was thinking about it but at this point she cracked the screen on it so it's not really worth the effort (problems started way before that)
Also, really starting to kick myself for not grabbing a TouchPad.
I was thinking that myself, not a fan of tablets but its a nice OS and they were selling it for peanuts.

I guess there's a good chance it's just to fill back orders. If not though, I'll be in line.

I guess there's a good chance it's just to fill back orders. If not though, I'll be in line.
I honestly hope they get picked up by someone with some vision and business sense, actually if Virgin Mobile would pick it up it could be perfect. Pre-paid phones with a good OS and "App Catalog". After using the Pixi I have to say that WebOS is what I would consider switching to from iOS, seems very well polished and unlike Android it wasn't designed as a WinMo type system with having to navigate through crapload of menus just to get somewhere (though I do wish it would have an app grid like iOS, or at least a custom drawer with most used apps).

On an unrelated note, why is the new id game Windows only (on PCs), they have always made them for both (well ok in the beginning they made it for Apple exclusively). Granted I can get it on the 360 but I would have liked to play it on my MBP :(

Last edited:
I only played briefly on an original Pr? at a small event in San Francisco when it was unveiled, and I quite liked the OS. The hardware was shit at the time, but everything seemed responsive and quite intuitive to use.

I really hope a manufacturer that cares picks them up. The main issue with their current situation is that they were bought by the old CEO of HP and the new one (Leo Apotheker I believe) doesn't gives a rat's ass about hardware...

Switching from AT&T to Verizon (through Amazon) and to transfer my phone number, it's asking me for my PIN/password. Anyone with AT&T know where I would find this? I have no idea what my account PIN/password is...I know the number, but not the PIN/password.

*edit* Eh, fuck it. We'll try it without it and see how it goes...

Last edited:
I believe they are going to make some more and sell them at the same price.

yeah, they will be making a limited run to not only fill back orders but also to sell on hp.com. i added more info to the TP thread. :)

I honestly hope they get picked up by someone with some vision and business sense, actually if Virgin Mobile would pick it up it could be perfect. Pre-paid phones with a good OS and "App Catalog". After using the Pixi I have to say that WebOS is what I would consider switching to from iOS, seems very well polished and unlike Android it wasn't designed as a WinMo type system with having to navigate through crapload of menus just to get somewhere (though I do wish it would have an app grid like iOS, or at least a custom drawer with most used apps).

On an unrelated note, why is the new id game Windows only (on PCs), they have always made them for both (well ok in the beginning they made it for Apple exclusively). Granted I can get it on the 360 but I would have liked to play it on my MBP :(

On WebOS 3 there's a favorites section of the launcher. you can also drag and drop apps between sections. if youve seen bb os 6 or higher, its similar to that in execution.

Sprint owns Virgin Mobile as a brand in the united states. Rumor says that they said no to Pre 3 due to how poor the pre 1 sold. I also dont think they want to get in the hardware game, Theyd have to convince the handset makers to create devices powered by webOS, and one of Sprint's biggest handset suppliers (samsung) said absolutely not.

I only played briefly on an original Pr? at a small event in San Francisco when it was unveiled, and I quite liked the OS. The hardware was shit at the time, but everything seemed responsive and quite intuitive to use.

I really hope a manufacturer that cares picks them up. The main issue with their current situation is that they were bought by the old CEO of HP and the new one (Leo Apotheker I believe) doesn't gives a rat's ass about hardware...

The new ceo is a joke plain and simple. hp wasn't doing badly under Hurd, but once allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced, hp's board fired him right away even though there was little to no evidence. HP has a corporate culture thats overly guided by morals, both on and off the clock. It's called the hp way and it was talked about on windows weekly when this all went down, and its the reason why Hurd was let go, despite great job performance, pissing off many shareholders.

Apotheker came from a enterprise services background/company and wants to turn HP into one, basically a current day IBM. Absolutely stupid, but if its all one knows, can one blame him? some people have vision, others dont.

RIM should pick them up, they are struggling to stay relevant mostly because they can't match the user experience of the others. They already have a large presence on the market and a certain number of ISV's they could just use Palm's expertise and software and make SDKs that allow easy porting of current BB apps to WebOS.