Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I've got it pretty good, Where I live you can do pretty much whatever you want. No authorities of any kind have to check the car no matter how long you drive it, the next owner has to get it inspected before they can use it on public roads though.

Because of this used car prices can depend heavily on if a car is passable or not. But even then if you know someone who knows someone who works at any garage they can write you up a slip without even legitimately looking aat the car. Illegal but extremely common.

I could basically drive my corolla until the wheels fall off and I wouldn't even be fined for holding up traffic while the town cleans up my mess. Compensates for unacceptable road upkeep I guess, lol.

I can?modify anything on my car because the law only says "Modification of original characteristics", so pretty much ANYTHING fits in this.
Only wheels and tires are possible to be modified because there?s an explicit law that says "Original circumference must be kept and the tire can?t extend past the fender".

Depends on what date the UK have set for their adoption of EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval, which after quick googling seems to have been put into law rather late. The later the adoption into law the later vehicles you may rumage around with. On a car which is regulated by the whole vehicle type approval however you may not change out parts to other parts unless they too are whole vehicle approved, basically this means you can't put in an engine older than the car, as that would make the computer at whatever regulatory body you may come into contact with say no. If you change the rim size, it must be noted in the registration. If you put on a funky wing, it needs type approval, which often manifests itself in a small T?V sticker. Those T?V's have their fingers in all the worlds jamjars.

At least that's sort of the gist of the thing. EC regulations are one thing, national adoption and enforcing of said regulations is another. Just look at <X southern european country>.

Last edited:
Saw a Ferrari 355 Spider in the morning :|.. Over here its pretty rare that one might see a sports car. I long for the day that I will see a R35 or a 911.... but ohh no I see a Ferrari.. :glare:

Judging from the number of BX:s and old Mercs retro-fitted with diesel engines, it's not a problem here.

Would shoot myself or others if I couldn't modify a car. That would be like California or something.

I sent GM an email regarding the Caprice PPV and possible Zeta-based consumer models and I got a phone call from a real person confirming that they got the email. You're impressing me, GM. Keep it up, champs!

In the morning I will be tackling the highest paved road in North America. Thank God for turbocharging!

I can't decide whether this is awesome or not:

Is it bad that I have a strange urge to buy a Volvo 740 and lower it much like WirelessMoneky's Bora?

I'm thinking it will have a set of allen keys hanging off the rear bumper, and the number plates "LOLVO" are not yet taken...

Is it bad that I have a strange urge to buy a Volvo 740 and lower it much like WirelessMoneky's Bora?

I'm thinking it will have a set of allen keys hanging off the rear bumper, and the number plates "LOLVO" are not yet taken...

pro tip! if you do that, make your sure licenseplate isn't secured with allen bolts :p

The Volvo stylists that put 14-spoke wheels on the C70 can die in a fire. Those bastards are a BITCH to clean.

This made me chuckle.

2lcboz6.jpg

So I saw the smartest kid in the world today, no sarcasm. Was coming out of my parking lot and I saw two kids (10 at most) riding their bikes on the sidewalk (as they are allowed) and their mom, so obviously I stop to let them pass and the kid stops and waits not until his mom tells him to go but until I actually wave him past. He gives me hope in mankind however brief :p