MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
There's tons of info, but it looks very cluttered. I prefer my main gauges simple and then additional ones maybe installed next to the radio to replace the DIN-sized storage space.

I love detailed gauge clusters. My housemate's '95 Nissan Pulsar only has petrol, temperature and speed and I hate it. Don't even know what the oil pressure is, which is more important than the speed I'm doing :p

The only thing I'm missing in NA is oil temperature. Surely not a problem when running stock car on the streets, but I'd love to know it on track. If I'm gonna add it, i'm probably gonna replace radio or the storage space below/above it and get also amp meter and maybe a clock, so I've got three symmetrical gauges near gear stick, just like M Roadster. And of course I don't want flashy tuning led gauges. Simple German DIN-approved (well, maybe not) perfection:

981_0.jpg

HELL yeah! Where/how? Do want. Add to Cart!

Slight derail, I've got a opaque faded plastic window and bodyrolliffic worn out stock suspension. So do i buy:

Hardtop or Coilovers?

The plastic window can cleaned out. And even if not, you can buy the plastic window section alone and just attach it to the current top. Coilovers, depending on your application, might be too stiff.

I just finished my timing belt and she feels great now. Only issue now is that I'm seriously considering getting the Runabout M2 mirrors... which are quite dear. But they look so beautiful

Slight derail, I've got a opaque faded plastic window and bodyrolliffic worn out stock suspension. So do i buy:

Hardtop or Coilovers?

For the window try a product called Novus, it is a three part polish that worked great on my old NA's plastic window.

Cross posted from the Awesome Thread, but worth some loving here too:

Miata putting out 450hp at the wheels, 500hp if running on E85.
8b7ac0b5.jpg

27a33339.jpg

Shame it's got that bodykit. It would be awesome with almost stock look and about 450hp/ton, if it's still around ~1000kgs or ~2200 pounds. That slow japanese hairdresser car would suprise many... :)

I'm sure a lot of you are expecting me to be a partypooper regarding this car and I will not disappoint: there is no way that that setup cost less than an LSx swap. Which would have been more reliable. And good for a lot more power. This car is like the Veyron imo - I respect the effort and the engineering but it's still pretty pointless.

I'm sure a lot of you are expecting me to be a partypooper regarding this car and I will not disappoint: there is no way that that setup cost less than an LSx swap. Which would have been more reliable. And good for a lot more power. This car is like the Veyron imo - I respect the effort and the engineering but it's still pretty pointless.

You may be right, but I'm willing to bet he didn't do all that work at once. He probably had it stock, then decided to add a good intake and exhaust. Then a couple months later rework the heads. Then later looked into turbocharging it. So on and so forth, until he ended up with what you see above.

Hmm, it might be the non-american in me, but I just don't find the idea of a V8 Miata intresting. Certainly excellent bang for the buck with good reliability, but... I find highly tuned turbo I4s, rotaries or howling straight sixes way more exciting and elegant than cross-plane V8s. They're awesome in american (or australian) muscle cars, because they fit the character perfectly, but it's not what I'd want to have in an MX5.

I'm sure my opinion would change after short shotgun ride in one of course :p

I don't really agree with that. I don't think he was going for the budget option or the most cost-efficient way of putting 450hp through the wheels. He said the whole car had cost $100k (AU$). The car had more work done to it than just the engine, but it's still quite expensive. If doing things cheaply is the aim then an LSx swap is great. I do think that what's been done is slightly more 'pure' in a way. That's still the 1.6L 4cyl engine in that car. Sure most parts of have been upgraded, but it's still the 1.6L.

Somehow it seems like it just wouldn't be the same car if they'd gone and swapped the engine entirely.

Last edited:

Like most cars it probably evolved into that. And considering how clean it is, I'd wager it spends a lot of time at shows with the owner looking a bit like this :
paul-walker-and-the-supra.jpg

I do like this, only because an V8 swap is pretty much obvious.