Someone Else's Problem: My new 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon Limited

Do you really need a wagon? Sedan looks much better IMO. Congrats on the car anyways! :thumbsup:

For me, it's the exact opposite. Wait until you see what these look like with the JDM front end. Really shaves that huge front bumper down and looks wicked sweet.

I too prefer the wagon.

And extra space was one of the reasons for buying a new car.

What what? Wagon has more interior space, has less wind noise, and stiffer body. Why would you ever want a sedan?

You're wrong about the wind noise; wagon type cars have always been noisier than their sedan counterparts. The sedan handles and performs better because it's basically the same, but with less weight. Finally, I just much prefer the looks of the Legacy sedan.

backleft.jpg

What what? Wagon has more interior space, has less wind noise, and stiffer body. Why would you ever want a sedan?

Mmm, care to explain the stiffer body of a wagon? It's hard to believe unless Subaru really put some significant strenghtening to wagon body.

Anyway, I can totally understand the reason for going wagon, especially with that engine. In Finland about 90% of Legacies are wagons, so sedan would be much more intresting choice for me, but only because of it's rarity in our market. And apparently manual 2.5GT wagon is a rare beast in the Canada :)

Edit: Oh, and sweet looking wheels. Can't wait for the post-drop pictures! :)

Last edited:
For me, it's the exact opposite. Wait until you see what these look like with the JDM front end. Really shaves that huge front bumper down and looks wicked sweet.

I agree. The sedan looks dull, the wagon looks very cool. It makes the car look sleeker, somehow. Same deal with the Renault Laguna, the wagon looks awesome, especially from behind. Shame the way they drive doesn't match the looks.

And yeah, the front end we got here with the smaller bumpers (and no orange bit in the headlights) looks better.

Edit: Oh, and sweet looking wheels. Can't wait for the post-drop pictures! :)

Unfortunately, that probably won't be before next summer.

You're wrong about the wind noise; wagon type cars have always been noisier than their sedan counterparts. The sedan handles and performs better because it's basically the same, but with less weight. Finally, I just much prefer the looks of the Legacy sedan.

backleft.jpg

Having driven both wagon and sedan (my mom owns the wagon), the sedan definitely has a lot more wind noise.

I still don't believe wind noise depends on the body style. Most of the wind noise comes from the frontal area of the car and around the side windows so body shape doesn't make a difference. Road noise is different on the other hand, because in wagon the boot is part of the interior, creating larger space for all sound to echo and it's connected to the passanger area which also means less insulation.

I'd guess the wind noise is more noticeable in the sedan because it has less road noise. In theory that makes sedan of course better, but if wagon feels more quiter then it's of course better to human beings, if not for measuring equipment. Sometimes making a car bit quiter just brings out all the little irritating noises which you normally don't hear. But to be honest, I didn't notice that much wind noise when going 210km/h/130mph with the '06 sedan, so Subaru did a pretty good job sealing the frameless windows :)

i used to prefer the sedan, now its just wagon all the way for me.

Having driven both wagon and sedan (my mom owns the wagon), the sedan definitely has a lot more wind noise.

Maybe it was more windy when you drove the sedan? :dunno:

Anyway, it's not just wind noise, but tire roar (and other noises) as well (which echoes more through the wagon's extra cargo space, like previously stated).

I'd see how winter is pre-drop. you might just want fatter tires to fill the wells and be done with it. MIGHT. That said, WRX suspension bits might be worth it.

Unfortunately legacys have a slightly different setup than the Imprezas,

Impreza: macpherson struts all 4 corners
Legacy: Macpherson front, multilink suspension rear

Possibly, all I can tell you that the BL/BP generation legacies have a diffrent setup from either the GC or GD imprezas, having owned all 3 at different points. Even similar parts have different fitments in the legacy and impreza because the difference in chassis sizes

I've read about dropping imprezza suspension components in to legacies though. maybe it's my gen's.

If your gonna drop a BG, you can go with WRX components from when the WRX started to 07 technically since they kept the same strut design till they redid it. Personally when I ran a 98 OB, I had WRX sedan struts from a 06 and springs from a 06 STi(Weird combo, but it ran quite nicely). You may need spacers since unless your able to score WRX wagon struts which are a bit stiffer to handle the WRX wagon's weight.

Took her to the track for the first time last sunday. I had actually spent the day there flagging for motorcycle racing, for the organisation I use to race in, and a friend of mine who was spectating convince me afterward to take my car for a few laps around the track, 10$/5 laps time attack.

That was so fun :D

DSCN9021.jpg

DSCN9018.jpg

DSCN9016.jpg