Jalopnik: America's Top Ten Worst Driving Cities

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
I'm actually kind of surprised; I was sure that Houston would have managed to make it into the top ten, but it didn't.

http://jalopnik.com/5837052/americas-ten-worst-driving-cities/

America?s ten worst driving cities

Before you get behind the wheel to have one last squeeze of summer, might we suggest familiarizing yourself with the ten U.S. cities scientifically proven to have the most crash-prone, property-denting, addled drivers in America? There's a good chance you already live in one.

The data comes from the Allstate insurance company, which uses its experience insuring about 10% of all U.S. drivers to compile the chances that drivers in the 193 largest cities will have a vehicular boo-boo severe enough to warrant an insurance claim. Allstate uses its data to hail those cities with the safest drivers, like granting gold stars to students who never get in trouble.

But with a little handy data sorting, we can take care of the troublemakers ourselves. Let the naming and shaming begin...

10th: Alexandria, Va.

How bad are America's least bad drivers? In Alexandria, the colonial little suburb of Washington, the drivers are about 55% more likely than the national average to get tangled up in an accident, and the average driver goes about six years between major car damage. As the rest of the list will show, while Alexandria's drivers suck in comparison to the rest of the nation, by the accident standards of nearby cities they're A.J. Foyts.

9th: San Francisco

Whether it's because of the frequent fog, "Bullitt" re-creations or Ghirardelli-induced sugar comas, San Francisco residents are 57% more likely than the average American to bang into their fellow travelers. Remember: This is the part of the country that wants to write the software to drive cars for the rest of us.

8th: Jersey City, N.J.

Ah, Jersey City, the town that eternally looks on Manhattan like a fat kid in line for the Cheesecake Factory. We know the data shows its crash stats are identical to San Francisco's, but like everything in Jersey City, these data probably have everything to do with New York (which ranked 171st out of 193 cities). If you've lived in Jersey City for 6.4 years without a car crash, you're above average.

7th: Hartford, Conn.

One might think a state full of insurance companies would have the safest drivers, but Hartford residents appear to love recreating the allure of their favorite sport on the road. They're 60% more likely to bust another motorist, which would make them tops in the country if we sawed off the Eastern Seaboard and one part of California.

6th: Philadelphia

The city of brotherly cheesesteaks gets a lot of blocked traffic arteries thanks to motorists such as the woman who drove the wrong way down a freeway. It's also the largest city in the rankings of the worst 10, out-crashing Chicago, Los Angeles and the rest. Or maybe they just want their vehicles to look like the Liberty Bell.

5th: Providence, R.I.

Never been here. Know nothing about it. Oh wait ? I did stop here once for gas, on my way to Cape Cod. Guess I was lucky to get out, since its residents crash 66% more frequently than average. Providence. Huh. Nope, drawing a blank. Wasn't there a movie with Alec Baldwin about Providence? Guess I could look it up. Nah, nevermind.

4th: Newark, N.J.

Still recovering from floods that turn its streets into jet-ski practice centers, Newarkians run their customized Hummers into each other at an alarming rate of 70% more than average; it's also the first city in the list where residents can't even wait six years before showing that one meathead what's what. Take heart: At least you have a cool mayor.

3rd: Glendale, Calif.

You can quibble that Glendale should be counted along with other Los Angeles suburbs as a big L.A. story, but its numbers are shocking. Every five and a half years on average, a Glendale driver gets into an accident. They're 80% more likely to have a crash than the national rate. Of all the possible explanations concering the freeways and traffic density, the most obvious explanation may be civic pride for native son Paul Walker.

2nd: Baltimore

Charm City residents apparently see their vehicles as just another crustacean waiting for its shell to be cracked open, getting into accidents at a rate 88% greater than the rest of us. If Edgar Allan Poe were alive, he'd write a poem about it, right after he finished suing the Baltimore Ravens for eleventy billion dollars.

1st: Washington, D.C.

As a frequent driver in our nation's capital, this surprises me not in the least. Washington's grandees are more than twice as likely to get in a wreck than the national rate, and go on average 4.8 years between urgent calls to the auto insurance adjuster. There are so many possible reasons ? the city's cross-hatch street layout, it's population of drivers with diplomatic immunity, tour-bus related congestion ? that it's hard to assign blame, exactly the kind of problem Washington excels in creating.

Not surprised about NJ, those morons can't drive worth a damn, ditto for B-more (spent entirely too much time there). I suspect NYC didn't make it because of the massive underreporting of accidents here, because of high insurance premiums most people tend to make a deal on the spot rather than risk increase in premiums, which are already ridiculous.

Last edited:
Still surprised Houston didn't make it, though. :dunno:

Surprised Boston didn't make it. Even if you exclude idiot drivers it's a big construction maze a lot of the time.

And we wonder why people stereotype the Northeast as bad drivers. :p

Also: lol Hartford. A lot of people work there but no one wants to live there if they can afford to live in the suburbs.

EDIT: I'm not surprised it's so high on the list. I live half an hour away, and any time I have to go near it for whatever reason, people on the highway just completely lose their sense of how to drive. I once had someone beep at me because he almost crashed into me because he was going too fast on the on-ramp and misjudged the gap while I had the right of way and was maintaining a steady speed.

Last edited:
I will definitely agree with San Francisco - having lived there for 12 years - and Washington DC. I'm not too surprised about Providence, having heard that Rhode Islanders rank as the state with the worst drivers. I think the problem with SF and DC is the number of tourists. They generally don't know where they're going, and they're doing more sightseeing than driving anyway. Plus, I'm sure San Francisco pedestrians are responsible for more than a few accidents.

I am kind of surprised that Boston is not on that list, and you may not like this Spectre (Or maybe you'll agree.) but I've heard a lot of bad things about drivers in Houston.

Also, wasn't Newark number 1 in insurance fraud at one time?

I am kind of surprised that Boston is not on that list, and you may not like this Spectre (Or maybe you'll agree.) but I've heard a lot of bad things about drivers in Houston.

You obviously missed my comment about being surprised that Houston was not on that list. :p Houston drivers are awful and the crap roads down there don't help.

They're really bad - you can go down a surface road at the posted speed limit and find the back end of your car is literally in the air due to the potholes and such. It's the main reason why I have this Crown Vic cop car here for mom instead of getting a cheap X300 or something similar.

Last edited:
I think we can cut a lot of the northeast some slack for winter weather. I find people from that area to be some of the best at car control, if they bother to pay attention.

You obviously missed my comment about being surprised that Houston was not on that list. :p Houston drivers are awful and the crap roads down there don't help.

Yeah, I was typing my response as you were typing yours.

I've heard from a lot of Houstonians complaining about the roads and drivers down there. (Kind of funny how everyone else is a bad driver but you when your city is ranked on a list like that.) I've had a few customers from cities like Katy, Pasadena and The Woodlands tell me they will not drive in Houston at all if it can be helped.

Surprised Boston didn't make it. Even if you exclude idiot drivers it's a big construction maze a lot of the time.

This, times a billion...and I was only there once!

Well, although everyone in MA drives like a complete dickhead, they're definitely a lot more alert and aware of what they're doing than other places i've driven. Glendale is no surprise since 1/3 of it is populated by Armenians, worst f'n drivers i've come across.

You need to develop a superpower for predicting what all the other cars will do.

Truth. Learning to drive in boston makes you an agressive bastard. But at least you're an ALERT agressive bastard.
I really didn't see any of that when I was in Boston, idk if the NY plates and a Russian mafia looking driver were the cause but people generally tried to get the hell out of my way :p

HA

Yankees cant drive

1st: Washington, D.C.
There are so many possible reasons ? the city's cross-hatch street layout, it's population of drivers with diplomatic immunity, tour-bus related congestion ? that it's hard to assign blame, exactly the kind of problem Washington excels in creating.

I love diplomatic driving. I did some streetviewing of embassys in Washington but they all seem to park rather neatly which is very disappointing. And the Indian embassy seems very popular.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/09/06/diplomater.JPG
Proper diplomatic parking.

Last edited:
Everywhere I drove in the states the standard of driving was fucking abysmal. San Francisco was worse than that still.

Also surprised houston didn't make the list. What a maddening experience.