Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'm having a real tough time finding a way to convert 230VAC 5A 60Hz to 50Hz. Why so hard?

I'm sure it's easy, I'm just not looking in the right place.

It isn't easy. The way would be to convert the 60Hz AC into DC then invert it back into 50Hz AC power. What is the application?

AC power at different frequencies cannot be connected together. These types of interconnections exist between Western United States, Texas and the Eastern United States. They are done by rectifying and then inverting the power back at the other grid's frequency.

Last edited:
I'm getting a Droid Charge on Thursday, and I think I want a case for it. What types of cases do y'all like best? I know I don't want an all-silicone one, as they get linty and are hard to get in and out of my pockets.

Is this even worth considering? I'm most concerned with it getting the shit kicked out of it by keys/change etc in my pocket. Not TOO concerned with dropping it, as I've dropped my current phone once in 4.5 years.
Droid-Charge-maximum-protection-ZAGG-invisibleSHIELD.jpg

I've been to 5 different stores now, and I found a total of 2 cases for this phone, both of them all silicone. One all black...and then this one.
sam_charge_hg_sil_cov_blue.png

Really? You only carry two, and this is one of them? Bah!
dogbert-bah2.jpg

Has anyone else had experience with xbox 360 error codes? I have a code on mine, which is classified as a memory error. It's out of warranty and I've been trying to "fix" it by overheating the GPU, which is said to restore broken connections.
Maybe you should google it? Overheating the GPU is only a temporary fix and it'll just go kaput again sooner or later.

I purchased a Dell U2412M monitor yesterday. It's 30% off and lasts till tomorrow, so I had to grab this steal. Delivery ETA 19th September, but I'm expecting it much earlier.

EDIT: Just checked the delivery status. ETA tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm getting a Droid Charge on Thursday, and I think I want a case for it. What types of cases do y'all like best? I know I don't want an all-silicone one, as they get linty and are hard to get in and out of my pockets.

Is this even worth considering? I'm most concerned with it getting the shit kicked out of it by keys/change etc in my pocket. Not TOO concerned with dropping it, as I've dropped my current phone once in 4.5 years.

I've been to 5 different stores now, and I found a total of 2 cases for this phone, both of them all silicone. One all black...and then this one.

Really? You only carry two, and this is one of them? Bah!
dogbert-bah2.jpg

I'd focus on ordering cases online tbh. The "Verizon sanctioned" case selection tends to be pretty limited, while there's usually more stuff from Seido, Case-Mate, OtterBox, etc: http://store.androidcentral.com/samsung-droid-charge-cases.htm?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=housead&utm_term=cases&utm_content=sidebarmain&utm_campaign=community

I'd try there first, just to see the selection, then comparison shop to see if it's any cheaper elsewhere.

As for scratches, Droid Charge (like all Galaxy S phones) comes with Gorilla Glass protecting the screen. In theory there's really no need for a screen protector, but if you want to have the screen look truly immaculate after a few years (my Droid 1 has Gorilla Glass and there's one or two verrryyy faint marks) one from Zagg or Clarivue might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
Apple accuses chinese fruit company to copy their logo. Chinese fruit company happens to have been incorporated with said logo before Apple adopted a fruit for logo. Apple crazyness continues in the link
http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/06/apple-accuses-chinese-food-company-of-copying-logo/
Sometimes I think Apple sues people just to see how much they can get away with. The logo doesn't look all that similar (hell reminds me more of a grenade than a fruit anyways) also do they REALLY think someone is going to go to a store and get some bananas and think "wtf this iPhone sux!"

also do they REALLY think someone is going to go to a store and get some bananas and think "wtf this iPhone sux!"

This needs to be made into an image.

Craziness? The Chinese company made an application to extend their trademark into laptops. I'm pretty sure Apple sells those...
And they also said they are not planning on selling any at this time. And as maxtortheone said looks more like LG logo.

Does the Mozilla team have an office or is it just a group of developers who only have a website and sweet apps?

It isn't easy. The way would be to convert the 60Hz AC into DC then invert it back into 50Hz AC power. What is the application?

AC power at different frequencies cannot be connected together. These types of interconnections exist between Western United States, Texas and the Eastern United States. They are done by rectifying and then inverting the power back at the other grid's frequency.

Sorry I haven't replied, it's for my company's wall mounted boiler we make. It's not sold in the US but we had radiators installed near each desk when we bought the building for this very reason and we finally got the unit. Only issue is, the computer inside is smart enough to say "this ain't 50Hz".

Does the Mozilla team have an office or is it just a group of developers who only have a website and sweet apps?

The Mozilla Foundation lives here, officially:

Mozilla Foundation
650 Castro Street
Suite 300
Mountain View, CA, 94041-2021
USA

The developers are spread out over the world.