Computer will not work outside of Safe Mode

I just tried swapping my mother's GPU, an ATI All-in-Wonder X600 Pro, cleaning the NVIDIA drivers and installing the ATI drivers. However, the computer BSODs shortly after booting with this card. Maybe this is a motherboard issue?

Edit: Also, another thing I've noticed is that when booting, the computer will shut down and restart the boot process once or twice before succesfully booting. This is happening with both cards.

Edit 2: A quick run through Asus' troubleshooting website section seems to also suggest a motherboard issue. I'll try to take it in to the store and ask for a replacement on warranty.

Last edited:
Edit 2: A quick run through Asus' troubleshooting website section seems to also suggest a motherboard issue. I'll try to take it in to the store and ask for a replacement on warranty.
Was gonna say... You can also test it by putting your card in mom's machine.

Was gonna say... You can also test it by putting your card in mom's machine.

I might try that too come to think of it. It'll be at least another day before I head to the store so I've still got time to try various things out.

Edit: My mom's PC only has 1 six-pin PCI-E power connector, my graphics card needs two, so I'm afraid I won't be able to do such a test.

Last edited:
Hope you get this problem sorted it out. I hate headaches like these. :(

Could this be bad Windows situation? Or a bad harddisk? I know i'm the one with the worst HDD history but when I hear about freezing, BSOD and programs not opening, my first suspect would be the harddisk.

Oh and i'm not a hijack log file reading expert but I couldn't help but notice a lot of "file missing" reported. And they are all system32 related.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/archie411/2011/09/07/missing.jpg

Could this be bad Windows situation? Or a bad harddisk? I know i'm the one with the worst HDD history but when I hear about freezing, BSOD and programs not opening, my first suspect would be the harddisk.

Oh and i'm not a hijack log file reading expert but I couldn't help but notice a lot of "file missing" reported. And they are all system32 related.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/archie411/2011/09/07/missing.jpg
File missing not a big deal really, he did a reinstall and it was doing the same thing. Bad HDD unlikely since its an SSD and he did run a test on it.

It sounds like a motherboard problem, and I know you ran the men-test, but try taking out the RAM and reinstall them. If theres still a problem, try with just one stick (assuming you have two). - If theres still a problem try other RAM sockets.
- It doesn't hurt trying :)

The last thing to do would be to reconnect all wires (Data, power, and so on).

If theres still a problem you can be quite sure it's your MOBO thats fried :/

It sounds like a motherboard problem, and I know you ran the men-test, but try taking out the RAM and reinstall them. If theres still a problem, try with just one stick (assuming you have two). - If theres still a problem try other RAM sockets.
- It doesn't hurt trying :)

The last thing to do would be to reconnect all wires (Data, power, and so on).

If theres still a problem you can be quite sure it's your MOBO thats fried :/

I've tried checking some of the connections already, but I'll give the RAM a try and go over the connections one last time. However, I have just filed an RMA with Asus (As the store isn't able to handle such requests by themselves) and I am awaiting their reply.

Edit: Did it all, computer would still end up freezing at some point after booting. Looks like I'll be awaiting that RMA.

Last edited:
What kind of SSD do you have?
There have been some reports of SSDs that produce BSODs if you don't have the right firmware, computer bios and drivers.

I have an OCZ Vertex 3 and while I've not experienced any problems that you're describing, they sound somewhat similar to some of the ones that I've read on the OCZ forums.

I'm using an Asus P8Z68 motherboard and according to various sources it was important to get a BIOS update, a SSD firmware update and an updated Intel Rapid Storage Driver in order to get things running smoothly.

I have the Vertex 3 as well. However, I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard, and the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Driver. My SSD firmware might be out of date though so I'll have a look at that.

Edit: It's out of date, version 2.02 as opposed to the most recent 2.11. Updating it is a little complicated though as it's my primary drive but I'm working on it.

Edit 2: Just updated to 2.11, now watching if the freezes will reappear.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I might try that later too, but so far I seem to be running pretty well. I usually would've experienced a freeze by now. "Everything went better than expected" anyone? :p

Edit: Been going about 30 minutes without freezing, I'm almost certain it's gone (Although I will report back if it does happen to return). Thanks a bunch :D

Last edited:
Wow that is the MOST complicated issue I have EVER seen. So frigging random... Perhaps thevictor390 has the same thing happening?

Been running it again today, the freezes are gone but it does still have a very odd boot process, computer will start, then shutdown, then start again before the booting actually begins :blink:

That is the process that I have on my Asus mobo if I made changes in the BIOS.
If I start the computer and go in to the BIOS and make changes and save, it will then shut down and then start itself again.
I haven't done this in quite some time, so I'll double check, but I think that's what it does.

Maybe your BIOS keeps thinking that changes were made when they were not?
If so, then perhaps load the defaults, shut down, then make your BIOS changes, shut down again and then see if it boots normally.

Edit:
Hmm, it's not doing it now, maybe it's only on certain changes, or maybe it was only during a BIOS update, but I've definitely seen the shut down and restart behavior before.

Edit2:
Or maybe this is helpful:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...SUS-P8P67-series-Double-POST-at-Cold-Boot-Fix

Last edited:
Wow that is the MOST complicated issue I have EVER seen. So frigging random... Perhaps thevictor390 has the same thing happening?

I wish. Both of my disks are of the spinning variety :(

That said, The problem has been happening less and less and has all but disappeared during normal usage. I had one freeze while playing a game the other day, but played another few hours the next day with no issues.

Last edited:
That is the process that I have on my Asus mobo if I made changes in the BIOS.
If I start the computer and go in to the BIOS and make changes and save, it will then shut down and then start itself again.
I haven't done this in quite some time, so I'll double check, but I think that's what it does.

Maybe your BIOS keeps thinking that changes were made when they were not?
If so, then perhaps load the defaults, shut down, then make your BIOS changes, shut down again and then see if it boots normally.

Edit:
Hmm, it's not doing it now, maybe it's only on certain changes, or maybe it was only during a BIOS update, but I've definitely seen the shut down and restart behavior before.

Edit2:
Or maybe this is helpful:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...SUS-P8P67-series-Double-POST-at-Cold-Boot-Fix

Tried your suggestion as well as the link, but neither of them worked :?

So it this roughly what it does?
The comments seem to suggest disabling the PLL overvolt, but at this point I assume you're running with default values and are not overclocking.

If that fails, you can try standard trouble shooting stuff like:
Disable as many chipset features as possible in the BIOS.

For example, disable the serial port controller, usb controller, network controller, Marvell controller, etc... and see if the problems go away.

Failing that you could take it a step further and remove / disconnect hardware until it starts working.

Then once it works enable things one at a time until it starts failing again to see where the problem may be.