Bloody Caravans

flyingfridge

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, VW Passat 118TSI
I was coming home today, I've spent the last week or so in my hometown 4 hours to the west. Well, I kinda got bored following this guy, I think the picture tells the story. There was a huge queue behind me, the limit is 100km/h, and my speedo reads high, ie 110 on my speedo is really 104...

http://img503.imageshack.**/img503/2161/dsc001611rk.jpg

FULL SIZE: http://img503.imageshack.**/img503/3854/dsc001613uc.th.jpg

Why didn't you overtake him on some straight (judging on the picture there are quite a few) where visibility is good, and where there are no cops hiding. :ph34r:

Vans are far from a huge problem in Australia but when they do occationally show up, get right up on their arse's (visible in their drivers side mirror) and flash your lights. If they don't move over then or give you some way of passing, then it is a problem.

It looked like you had a bit of road there to pass...you coulda used its slipstream to make a flyer past it :driving:

In the photo there is a blind crest with a large truck just over it (not visible) i had to wait an little while. It seems like overtaking lanes are so far and few between, and the traffic going the opposite way just heavy enough to prevent a serious overtaking maneuver...

astroboymoto said:
if you were paranoid about crossing over you should have overtaken him on the shoulder :)
I'd prefer head towards oncoming traffic than go on the "unknown" shoulder of a road. All types of debris could be their etc etc....

@ Fridge - Yeh I knew there was a reason for you not overtaking the thing at time of photo..

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
astroboymoto said:
if you were paranoid about crossing over you should have overtaken him on the shoulder :)
I'd prefer head towards oncoming traffic than go on the "unknown" shoulder of a road. All types of debris could be their etc etc....
well I wouldn't do it in the car, but on the bike I have done so :whistle:

Amateurs.

Here in Finland we overtake those in a instant even with oncomming traffic.
Doesn't matter if it's a snow storm or clear weather.

Scud said:
Amateurs.

Here in Finland we overtake those in a instant even with oncomming traffic.
Doesn't matter if it's a snow storm or clear weather.

Well, we Aussies are smart and choose not be crushed by a semi-trailer...

Flyinfridge... don't B roads have overtaking lanes?.. I was driving from Buller about a month ago with my parents... managed to get some decent average speed... about 130kph cuz there were overtaking lanes every 3km or so... plus was in a Ford Falcon so overtaking power wasn't a problem :D

You think that is bad?
Try driving a Rabbit Pick-up in the USA behind a Cadillac Escalade or Ford Excusion or Expedition!
It is like Hammond said once:"Someone left a barn on the track!". :D

fbc said:
:wall: @ caraveners not pulling over to let traffic past :x
Put yourself in their place. It seems easy to pull aside for you but how many times are they going to do it over a day for so many people catching up to them. :?

I have driven semi trailers for a while and they were speed limited to below the speed limit on the highway (90 km/h vs. 100km/h, for fuel economy reasons) and sometimes you pull aside but on a long drive you don't want to lose speed 'cause getting back up to speed takes time and getting there already takes forever. So you let poeple "pace" with you until you can let them by without slowing down and nevermind those who don't understand (flipping the bird, flashing lights, honking, etc.). :p

Over here it's a law that semis are limited at 90kph and I drive those rigs.
Or actually I drive bigger rigs, I used to drive semis but get more money from big rigs.

They try to get the limit down to 80kph but that will never happen.
I would raise it up to 100kph.

Encountered this on the road coming back from a job yesterday.

http://img209.imageshack.**/img209/1286/picture102ih.jpg

Two haul-packs being moved up north. Everyone had to pull over to let them through. Would hate to be stuck behind them.