Vantage 'RS' targets Porsche...

pdanev

Forum Addict
Exclusive images in this week's Auto Express magazine reveal one of the most driver-focused Aston Martins ever. And we can can reveal secret plans for an RS version of the V8 Vantage. With a stripped-out interior, uprated engine and stiffer suspension, the lightweight model has its sights firmly set on the Porsche 911 GT3 and Ferrari's F430 Stradale.

It won't be Aston's only performance newcomer.
Thanks to a growing market for hardcore supercars, a stripped-out DB9 is also on the way, drawing on the firm's rich racing heritage.

As our images show, the lightweight V8 Vantage's styling is influenced by Aston's DBR9 Le Mans racer, with a low splitter and gaping air intakes supplementing the trademark grille. But without the vast track-car wing and only a subtle bodykit, the purity of the V8 Vantage's shape has been kept. Major aerodynamic enhancements have been hidden underneath, with an undertray and venturi tunnels that channel airflow around the car. These emerge at the rear, where they are joined by larger twin exhaust pipes.

Weight-reducing measures will include composite body panels, a carbon fibre roof and 19-inch magnesium alloy wheels. Together with a stripped-out interior, including racing buckets replacing the standard chairs, the newcomer will weigh at least 150kg less than the current V8 Vantage, tipping the scales at 1,420kg

ADVERTISEMENT

. This is only marginally heavier than Porsche's outgoing 911 GT3. To improve the power to weight ratio further, Aston is likely to raise the output of its 4.3-litre V8 from 380bhp to 420bhp, thanks to an uprated variable valve timing system, a higher 8,000rpm rev limit and a performance exhaust.

With a six-speed manual gearbox, expect 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds, 0-100mph in less than 10 seconds and a top speed of 190mph - figures which should match the forthcoming 911 GT3. The new exhaust will give the V8 Vantage an even louder engine note, too.

Cornering will match the straight-line performance, with a lowered ride height, adjustable dampers and sharper steering offering better agility and more responsive handling. Bigger brakes will provide even stronger stopping power, too.

Customers who spend much of their time at track days and who want an even sharper machine can specify an optional roll cage. As for creature comforts, the lightweight Vantage is likely to come with a stereo and air-con as standard, as well as electric windows. But these 'luxuries' can be deleted at the customer's request.

The lightweight V8 Vantage won't appear until 2007 at the earliest, and will have a price tag of around ?90,000. In the meantime, a convertible V8 Volante is likely to debut in 2006, with sales starting later in the year.

autoexpress.co.uk

I don't think the vantage will be able to match the new gt3. It's just not in Astons blood to make hardcore track focused racers. The outcome of tuning the GT ish vantage will never be 100 %. Porsche on the other hand is just doing what they do best.

Thank god it is stripped out. For a second I thought they were just going to release a full version with a better engine. I was about to get on the phone and make some angry phone calls to cancel my order! :lol:

Seems extremely un-Astonish. They don't have to chase Porsche like this - just do their own thing and respect the badge and what it stands for.

Yeah, especially because they gonna fail again. People buy Astons because they aren't Porsches. Dont make them ones.

fbc said:
Seems extremely un-Astonish. They don't have to chase Porsche like this - just do their own thing and respect the badge and what it stands for.
According to Aston Martins history which is firmly planted in motorsport traditions, I think this is just what they are missing in the lineup today. The company was founded after the original owner and founder Lionel Martin wanted to go racing back in 1923. Musn't forget though that they just about only built racecars before the WW2. I think that, a road aligable racecar like the GT3 RS is just what Aston Martin needs, a DBRS9 with numberplates would do...

^ I'm not saying they don't have a heritage of going racing, but that the Aston badge stands for prestige and luxury. Aston have never been about road-going racecars (for me anyway, and I suspect for many others).

it'll be awesome, but also a failure. the GT3 is based on a car thats already better. However, AM may surprise us. going after the F430 CS, when the stock F430 already has 70hp more than this new version of the Vantage, is just a waste of time.

^Ditto. Ok, they raced 60 years ago, but they haven't really converted road going cars to track day racers since (Ok, cmon AM geeks, prove me wrong with some obscure model from the 60's or something no one has heard of). But my point is they don't have any xp with doing this. It will probally be the most noisy of the bunch and that is IMO not cool. I can just see the driver thinking "Look at me, i'm the noisiest at the track, and TG says that's cool". 2 sec. later after beign overtaken by a dosen gt3's he goes straight into a chikane
:blowup:

The company was born i racing... The whole DB series was made to homologate the DB2 and DB3 cars for racing, same with the DB4 which also was a good racer in it's days. Therefore they need a racing car (DBR9) and a roadgoing racer to stay true to their heritage...

marcos_eirik said:
. I think that, a road aligable racecar like the GT3 RS is just what Aston Martin needs, a DBRS9 with numberplates would do...

I agree with this. They really do miss a proper race car, that you can go out and clock fast laps with on the track. However, I don't think they will succeed with it. A gt3 is a class of it's own, period.

pdanev said:
marcos_eirik said:
. I think that, a road aligable racecar like the GT3 RS is just what Aston Martin needs, a DBRS9 with numberplates would do...

I agree with this. They really do miss a proper race car, that you can go out and clock fast laps with on the track. However, I don't think they will succeed with it. A gt3 is a class of it's own, period.
not to mention the F430CS...

For me Aston's have always been gentlemen's cars, a proper racer wouldnt fit in my eyes. This is fine a sporty version sounds great.
Are they going to increase the production of the Vantage though or are they just going to divide their total production?? :?

hajj said:
For me Aston's have always been gentlemen's cars, a proper racer wouldnt fit in my eyes. This is fine a sporty version sounds great.
Are they going to increase the production of the Vantage though or are they just going to divide their total production?? :?
they are gentlemen's car to a certain point. but deep down they've got some racing history as well. i want this car to succeed like no other, but it can't.

bartboy9891 said:
... but it can't.
How can you say this...? What's the point being so prejudistic...? The Vantage has one of the best and stiffest lightweight chassis' out there and given an engine with power to match it will be really fast... Remember, the last time someone underestimated the british, they came up against the Spitfire...

omg, dont start becoming all jeremy-ish

look at every single british car manufacturer and see how wrong they all did in the past (most of them dont exist anymore)

P.S.: Fw 190 > Spitfire

Un-Dee said:
look at every single british car manufacturer and see how wrong they all did in the past (most of them dont exist anymore)
Yeah, right... Companies like Jaguar, Aston Martin, Lotus, Marcos, TVR... Yeah they all failed and don't exist anymore... :roll:

I can't see a single reason why Aston Martin shouldn't achieve this with a lightweight Vantage RS...

marcos_eirik said:
bartboy9891 said:
... but it can't.
How can you say this...? What's the point being so prejudistic...? The Vantage has one of the best and stiffest lightweight chassis' out there and given an engine with power to match it will be really fast... Remember, the last time someone underestimated the british, they came up against the Spitfire...
i'm not being prejudistic, i love the vantage. 300lbs sounds like a good plan. but with that, it weighs as much as the last GT3. and adding 40hp is a good idea too. it will be very quick, but the GT3 will still handle better. i'll guarantee it.

bartboy9891 said:
marcos_eirik said:
bartboy9891 said:
... but it can't.
but the GT3 will still handle better. i'll guarantee it.
with the engine hanging over the back? I think not. the AMV8V has the advantage in that regard.

That said I'm not sure if AM should be doing this, too much catching up to Porsche rather than innovation. Sure, the brand once reflected racing but alas no longer, same as Jaguar's roots - you don't see them still making sidecars for motorcycles(SS not J, I know) or rebodying austins :p I actually prefer the old 1940s/50s racing 'image' but apparently that doesn't sell cars anymore. :cry:

^ you dont realize that the last GT3 supposedly handled like a dream. hell, the 911 Carrera S beat the AMV8 around that stretch of road at the Isle of Man in the rain by 6 seconds. 6 SECONDS! think about it. the Carrera S weighs a few hundred lbs less than the AMV8 and has 30 hp less as well. the AMV8 RS will weigh 300lbs less so it now weighs as much as the Carrera S does and will have 40 more hp. the GT3 will weigh less than the Carrera S and have much more power.
see where this is going? the even the old GT3 will kick this Aston's ass.