Vantage 'RS' targets Porsche...

I'm sorry, didn't realise power/weight ratios had anything to do with handling. :bangin:

the point I was making was mid engine vs rear engine ;) a Cayman 'GT3' would probably be better than both of them, so long as they made it less ugly :lol:

marcos_eirik said:
Un-Dee said:
look at every single british car manufacturer and see how wrong they all did in the past (most of them dont exist anymore)
Yeah, right... Companies like Jaguar, Aston Martin, Lotus, Marcos, TVR... Yeah they all failed and don't exist anymore... :roll:

I can't see a single reason why Aston Martin shouldn't achieve this with a lightweight Vantage RS...

Austin, Morris, Triumph, Leyland, MG, Rover

Jaguar and Aston Martin are owned by Ford, Lotus to Proton, TVR is owned by a russian (even if i'd still consider it to be british)

Un-Dee said:
marcos_eirik said:
Un-Dee said:
look at every single british car manufacturer and see how wrong they all did in the past (most of them dont exist anymore)
Yeah, right... Companies like Jaguar, Aston Martin, Lotus, Marcos, TVR... Yeah they all failed and don't exist anymore... :roll:

I can't see a single reason why Aston Martin shouldn't achieve this with a lightweight Vantage RS...

Austin, Morris, Triumph, Leyland, MG, Rover

Jaguar and Aston Martin are owned by Ford, Lotus to Proton, TVR is owned by a russian (even if i'd still consider it to be british)
As you certainly don't know, opposed to the 70s and 80s when all went wrong with the british motoring industry today there are NO strikes and NO problems with founding. And now Aston Martin has one of the stiffest most advanced lightweight aluminium chassis in any roadcar. They have a car that is from the starting point very competitive, but when they remove some unnecessary soundproofing and luxuries and adds a more powerful engine like the first quoted article said, so...

...I still can't see a single reason why Aston Martin shouldn't be able to achieve making a fantastic car with a lightweight Vantage RS!!!

And that doesent mention that even Porsche was close to bancrupcy in the beginning of the 90s, they even considered axing the 911... But was people so stupdily prejudistic to Porsche...? No...

M3lover said:
Ok, they raced 60 years ago, but they haven't really converted road going cars to track day racers since (Ok, cmon AM geeks, prove me wrong with some obscure model from the 60's or something no one has heard of).

naias05-db9r-side.jpg

:wave:

^ :lol:

Smooth as silk.

^^ Err I'm guessing M3lover was referring to a track-day road racer, just like a GT3, not the DBR9 which is a very different thing altogether. A DBR9 is a race-car, not a track-day car.

Well that's very important to this discussion. If it's not road-legal, it doesn't count in this comparison.

^ If you check out the first page of this discussion, you'll notice a bunch of ppl (including yourself) claiming Aston is a name no longer associated with the race track. All I'm trying to prove is that isn't the case.

DJ said:
^ If you check out the first page of this discussion, you'll notice a bunch of ppl (including yourself) claiming Aston is a name no longer associated with the race track. All I'm trying to prove is that isn't the case.

Yes, but you posted the DBR9 in response to M3Lover asking about Aston converting road cars to track-day race cars, the DBR9 isn't a track-day car. Nor is the DBRS9 really. So neither vehicle really disproves M3Lover's statement.

And for the record, here's what I said:
Back on the first page said:
I'm not saying they don't have a heritage of going racing, but that the Aston badge stands for prestige and luxury. Aston have never been about road-going racecars (for me anyway, and I suspect for many others).

See, I'm just saying when I think of the Aston badge I don't think of road-going racecars, I've never denied that Aston do indeed go racing.

To me there still isen't an as direct link between astons racing program and their roadcars as Porsche have. And Marcos, you keep saying that Aston has a super advanced lightweight and stiff aluchassis (183 kg). But that dosen't really help when the rest of the car wasen't built with leightweight in mind (1570 kg). Yes yes, that is the standard version, but it is still going to be the basis of the tuned version which is going to be 20 kg heavier than the STANDARD Carrera S. And IMO the porsches RR layout isen't a disadvantage any more. It gives superior grip to the rear wheels witch gives fast 0-100 km/h times and excellent speed out of corners. The only way the Aston is going to beat the new gt3 is by fitting more slick ish tyres than what the Porsche is going to have.

^ no RR car handles perfectly without electronic assistance and major amounts of setup ;) thus limiting the amount to can do to the cars setup without adversely affecting handling. The mid engined Aston will have a LOT more flexibility in that regard. In the AM if you make it handle badly you'll just run wide or be slow, whereas the porsches will go straight for the kill.

Anyone in Aus have the video of the Porsche Cup competitor with back getting out of shape round a corner then making the car roll over and over, disintegrating it in the process?? a perfect example of why RR is not nearly as forgiving as midengine

Thing is these cars aren't made to be forgiving. They are made to go fast around a track. Not saying the cars should rip your head of at the first bend, just be rewarding to the experienced driver. And yes, i have seen the flying and flipping Porsche, but that could have happened to a lot of different cars, just bad luck. It's not like it's the first and only race car to have done that. I will bet you that there goes just as many, if not more, Ferrari 360 Challenge of the track compared to 911 cup's. Perhaps 20 years ago a porsche 911 could be a scary thing handling whise. But i don't really think it's the case any more.

M3lover said:
And Marcos, you keep saying that Aston has a super advanced lightweight and stiff aluchassis (183 kg). But that dosen't really help when the rest of the car wasen't built with leightweight in mind (1570 kg). Yes yes, that is the standard version, but it is still going to be the basis of the tuned version which is going to be 20 kg heavier than the STANDARD Carrera S.
How can you be so pedantic with the numbers when Aston Martin hasn't released anything yet...? The Vantage can potentially be lighter than the 911, because it's made from aluminium vs good old fashioned steel for the Porsche. What weighs the Aston down is all the luxury equipment and soundproofing expected in such a car. A lightweight RS version of the Vantage doesen't need to have all of this nonsense and can therefore potentially be a very light car...

The DBR9 weighs 1100kg. (2425lbs) Exactly the the same as an FIA-spec GT3 RSR. And that is despite the fact the DBR9 is a bigger car and has a huge V12 up ant the front...

Weight-reducing measures will include composite body panels, a carbon fibre roof and 19-inch magnesium alloy wheels. Together with a stripped-out interior, including racing buckets replacing the standard chairs, the newcomer will weigh at least 150kg less than the current V8 Vantage, tipping the scales at 1,420kg
Sry, missed atleast. I thought that was the actual production numbers...
But still, the Aston starts out having to be stripped from 1570 kg vs. the 1400 kg of the Carrera. And regarding the weight of the DBR9 i doubt even 1/3 of the parts in that thing is from a standard DB9. You can't compare all out racing machines with road legal cars. It's like comparing a F-22 fighter with a gulfstream.

astroboymoto said:
I'm sorry, didn't realise power/weight ratios had anything to do with handling. :bangin:

the point I was making was mid engine vs rear engine ;) a Cayman 'GT3' would probably be better than both of them, so long as they made it less ugly :lol:
lol, Power/Weight ratios may not affect handling much. but weight definately does, and the GT3 will weigh less than the AM. the GT3, along with the rest of the 911 range, has proven that RR can be done excellently.

fbc said:
Yes, but you posted the DBR9 in response to M3Lover asking about Aston converting road cars to track-day race cars, the DBR9 isn't a track-day car. Nor is the DBRS9 really. So neither vehicle really disproves M3Lover's statement.

1.) M3Lover said Aston hadn't raced for 60 years and that's why I posted the picture of DBR9.
2.) DBRS9 is a track-day racer (you added the "road" part). I suggest using Google, keywords "dbrs9", "track", "day".
3.) It seems that DBRS9 was built as a DIRECT competition to the GT3. Try http://www.fiagt.com/ --> Bios