[07x05] December 11th, 2005

Whoa! Did anyone notice at the beginning, when they show the engine assembly plant about the Chevy V8 Small Block ... the engines being assembled are not V8s!!! They're stupid little inline 4s!!!! :lol:

I'll add another vote to the "this episode was boring" side of the camp.

I wasn't impressed with the veyron the way they showed it. Driving it relatively sanely on public roads just isn't that interesting. Jeremy said it handled like an Elise, but where's the visual demonstration of that? I'd rather have watched them drive it on the track for a few minutes, without even handing it over to the stig! (which would have been interesting to see!)
I've seen a car with nearly 1000 HP before. My boss's mustang used to be in that range, and whisper quiet, now it's around 700 (maybe, it still runs in the 9s) and it sounds like the end of the world. Granted, it's nothing like the veyron, but it's also not disgustingly expensive, and it's only slightly uglier (granted looks are subjective and some here likely do like the looks of the veyron). You've just got to do something special with a car like that, not just show it driving past the camera in some nice scenery, that's like a boring car commercial.

And where's the MX-5! I'd like to see them play with a car I might actually drive! Hopefully they squeeze it in next episode...

I think the rest of the series has been great, this episode was just boring. Oh well, I've pointlessly thrown my $.02 into this bucket of change.

Most Volkswagen owners are not car nuts and won't care if the Veyron is a marketing tool or not. It costs billions of dollars to develop a car and Volkswagen is already losing $4 million on each Veyron sold. If the sole purpose of the Veyron is to boost sales of lower models - which is ridiculous because it won't - then the project was a complete waste of money.

The Veyron is an engineering masterpiece! That's a good enough reason to like the car.

well marketing is a lot more complicated these days. the veyron is a product to boost vw's image, and vws boss once said "the whole veyron project costs us way less than one single season of formula one", so i think its actually a good idea. the image is very important for most people who buy cars - thats why so few people buy opels (vauxhalls) these days.

I liked the episode. Sure it isn't as gripping as the other races, but where else can you see the Veyron up close and personal like that? And the sound...my god. :woot:

I just wish The stig and JC will drag the Veyron VS the McLaren F1 to show just how fast it is.

i want to thank vw for making that vehicle. it represents the pure supercar spirit, draw and build whatever you want. no matter if you like the look of it or not, whoever drives it is going to become 10 year old and say wow for 3 hours straight.

we all agree that the episode was disappointing, jc's article gave me a better impression of the car than the test. I can watch anyone drive by a million times and nothing changes. why can't they recreate the sensation i got when watching the f430 review. they really got the point across, really showed what a marvel of enginering it is. the veron review; all i know now it that the driver says "this is so fast" quite frequently and talks on the phone alot. wonderful. :|

I too am a bit disappointed. Let me quote myself from the first page of the pre-episode discussion:
I just hope that JC goes berserk with the Veyron on the track as well!
Sure, the race is gonna be great, but there are things you just can't do on public (narrow) roads. In the past (DB9, 612 Scaglietti), when they had a race in one car, there was no additional (lenghty) driving on their airfield.
Didn't happen unfortunately. Hopefully they'll do that next week. :|

JC could have done that race in a Golf GTI and he would still have won. They have to take the Veyron to the track! I want to see at least one launch-control start, drag race on the runway would be nice too, to say the least!

As mentioned before, they even mention the stig driving the Veyron (and crying afterwards because it was so good) on their hp. They have to show a lap, it's the friggin fastest car in the world!

cya
Oliver

I think ppl are forgetting that VW are actually launching a new car brand (Bugatti), with a range of more or less (ofcourse they will end up with spares from the VW group) individual models. I think the Bugatti line up will be alot like bentleys, maybe a tad more excslusive. Bugattis models can't really be placed anywhere else in the VW range. It can't be under bentley because it would start to overlap Audis model range, and it would be nuts to make them in the same pricerange as bentley. So there really only is one way, and thats up.

Anybody else heard the rumour about the Stig driving the Veyron on track?

"Apparently" it set a time SLOWER than the Zonda F and MC12. And they decided NOT to show it as it would of made Clarkson look daft!

If thats true, then hopefully they WILL show it so people can finally realise that this car is an abomination.

Sorry, but the track time tests aren't a representation of what the car is like are they really?

Funny that I haven't heard the rumour anywhere else.

maximus said:
Funny that I haven't heard the rumour anywhere else.
Neither did I. But this is coming from one of the Veyron-haters, so take it with a pinch of salt. :p

RichW said:
Anybody else heard the rumour about the Stig driving the Veyron on track?

The stig did apparently drive the Veyron, yes:
The Veyron has managed to achieve the impossible; a car so good even Jeremy couldn't find fault with it. It's so good, the Stig cried after driving it.
source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/thisweek/

I would LIKE to see F1 and Veyron go round the track same day.

Seriously.

oliB said:
I too am a bit disappointed. Let me quote myself from the first page of the pre-episode discussion:
I just hope that JC goes berserk with the Veyron on the track as well!
Sure, the race is gonna be great, but there are things you just can't do on public (narrow) roads. In the past (DB9, 612 Scaglietti), when they had a race in one car, there was no additional (lenghty) driving on their airfield.
Didn't happen unfortunately. Hopefully they'll do that next week. :|

JC could have done that race in a Golf GTI and he would still have won. They have to take the Veyron to the track! I want to see at least one launch-control start, drag race on the runway would be nice too, to say the least!

As mentioned before, they even mention the stig driving the Veyron (and crying afterwards because it was so good) on their hp. They have to show a lap, it's the friggin fastest car in the world!

cya
Oliver

I just noticed the picture in your post, is that a real picture?

Because I know they've said that they don't have a long enough track to test out the true top of the car, but that picture looks like it was taken from White Sands in Nex Mexico and if so that place is used to test rocket cars and I would be long enough to test the top speed of the car.

The Veyron was done to revive the Bugatti brand. Now VW will go on and make costing 10-times as less which produce 10-times more profit.

xXx6s said:
I just noticed the picture in your post, is that a real picture?

Because I know they've said that they don't have a long enough track to test out the true top of the car, but that picture looks like it was taken from White Sands in Nex Mexico and if so that place is used to test rocket cars and I would be long enough to test the top speed of the car.
Yes, that's a real picture click here for a high-res version + some more pics. (scroll down)

AFAIK they didn't limit the top speed because they couldn't find a straight which is long enough. They did it because of the tires.

RichW said:
I would LIKE to see F1 and Veyron go round the track same day.

Seriously.
Me too! But I'm afraid your beloved F1 wouldn't set the quickest lap, by a fair bit...

Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm new (kind of obvious isn't it!) and I love TG and like FG too. I happened to find this website bu accident and this forum seems a good place to discuss all things car related.

I thought this episode wasn't too bad BTW. The race wasn't quite on a par with the others. I didn't get bored though and I would say that the direction was the same in the Aston and Ferrari races. The car is indeed incredible (if not that great sounding) and is a great achievement. BTW for the guy still rubbishing the Veyron, the Mclaren is slower to 200 by a mile and has older technology meaning that it will still be slower, bearing in mind that the Bugattis is supposedly not a poor handler too. I don't mind JC making comparisons with an Elise either as who knows, maybe thats what it is similar to, to drive.

It had some funny moments too, that diesel warning sound gadget was funny and the insurance quote guy thinking Bugatti sounds like Rover :lol:

Sorry to ramble on by the way! This was intended to be a short post but ended up being huge!

just wrote a message to tg. maybe they'll send me a message. or simply laugh.

yeah it was a great episode. But the torrent just now is well very slow. Tried to watch most of it but I missed it.

Paul

i would really like to see the veyron from the fifth gear's point of view.More

informative,less scripted.

Like the zonda f review.

And i'm starting to hate these scripted dialouges.Most of the time james's acting the

smart guy,and then the silly egg joke. Also the "L" macpherson joke in the earlier

episodes.At first James accidently said: she's not a../Is that an old racing driver...(correct me i am wrong),then corrected himself.

Most of the time i enjoy the show.But like the veyron kinda stuff,i want information.

And the Liana.I think they're improving the car's performance to shorten lap times.