How do you use IRC to download stuff?

awdrifter

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you do it? (I'm currently only using BT and eMule) Does the other user have to personally send you the stuff? Is there a tutorial on how to do it? I'm using mIRC btw. Thanks.

Most of the rooms you go into tell you what command to put in. I don't remember what it is, but just take a read, it'll tell you.

/msg <bot name> xdcc send # <number of item you want>

so if Hector54 has say the new season of family guy which is #4 on his list, it'll look like this:

/msg hector54 xdcc send #4

Don't bother trying to get stuff via IRC. 9 times outta 10, it's really slow. P2P is where it's at.

You gotta search for that stuff really long, unless you are in a nice room, but you won't just get in there with the join command...

Buba

sometimes /msg hector54 xdcc send #4 doesn't work and you have to type

/ctcp hector54 xdcc send #4

Mostly it's /ctcp

In some rare cases, you also have to say what 'group' or 'pool' the file is in.
/ctcp hector54 xdcc get "family guy" #4 or something like that, I don't know exactly, but mostly they sau it

Anyways, Viper, sometimes it's the only way, like here at my university ISP, they block P2p and bittorrent but they don't block ftp and mirc...

How is that possible? I'm not saying it's not, but am just wondering. If they go by closing the ports, then they'd have to close all of the ports. How can they block BT and P2P but not FTP and IRC?

That wasn't my question dude... I'm wondering from a technical point of view.

ever heard of a firewall?

you just select the ports(range) you want to have blocked

I know, didn't I already honour this notion in my other post?

I'm saying if they block the generic Bittorrent ports, then just use another port to download stuff. What port do they leave open for FTP? Can't you just get to Bittorrent through that port?

bone said:

uTorrent has a nice "random port" feature... ;-)

Anyway, if you are blocked from p2p, you should throw in some money and get another ISP or Usenet...

I'm only going to use it if I can't find something on BT and eMule, it's only going to be used as a back up. Thanks for the replies.

Shawn_230 said:
I know, didn't I already honour this notion in my other post?

I'm saying if they block the generic Bittorrent ports, then just use another port to download stuff. What port do they leave open for FTP? Can't you just get to Bittorrent through that port?

bone said:

Ports can be blocked inbound as well as outbound. On universities the usually block all ports inbound, so no-one can get on their network from the internet.
So your incoming port is blocked for shure.

Outbound all ports except certain ones (http, dns, https, ftp etc) are allowed. So you can get to those ports on computers on the internet and read the webpages they serve for example. For those computers (on the internet) this is an incoming connection.

So when youre at school, you can only connect to people that set their incoming port on port 80 (http), 20 and 21 (FTP) or 443 (HTTPS).
Youre extremely lucky if one out of 1000 peers runs on one of those ports, since its nowhere suggested people should run bittorrent on port 80 for example.

If a significant number of torrent clients were to run on port 80, the school firewall would be defeated and it would be extremely pricy for universities to block it then, since it involves expensive hardware...

I ran BitComet with NAT traversal on, and Head Encrypt to auto, I get around 80k/s at my university.