How do I make a CD with a menu

mgkdk

Aced mod training!
Car(s)
VW UP! Renault Clio
I have to make a CD for my group for the project we're doing (handing it in next week) and I wanted to know if it was possible to make a CD that when you stick it in you computer it opens up a menu where you can access the stuff on the CD.
There has to be some sort of buttons to go to a PDF, a word document, folders with pictures, folders with excel sheets and some offline webpages (if possible, not that important)
So can it be done and how?

you have to create a menu program like some .exe

and then give the cd a autorun.inf and stuff. It's actually quite technical. some of the computer science guys in the forum may be able to help

Never done any of this, but try this:

Put an "Autorun.Inf" file on the root of the CD.

It's a text file that would contain something like this:

Code:
[autorun]
open=MyMenu.Html
icon=MyMenu.Ico
Not sure if that will work (if it doesn't try changing the open= to open=explorer.exe MyMenu.Html

Now obviously you'd have to create the MyMenu.Html page that contains the menu with word or some program that can create Html.

^ Ohhh, that looks promising, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to html :unsure:

mgkdk said:
^ Ohhh, that looks promising, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to html :unsure:

Don't let it firghten you: HTML is really a piece of cake :) Forr your purpose, a free WYSIWYG editor would suit you fine and simplify the process of creating an HTML Menu

It's not so much that I'm frightend, it's more that I don't know anythingwhatsoever about it.

mgkdk said:
It's not so much that I'm frightend, it's more that I don't know anythingwhatsoever about it.

I know :) I guess that's just an american phrase for "Don't worry about it"

You could also try creating an executable file (i.e. a program) using Macromedia's Flash. You can make buttons in this fairly easily and tbh it'll probably be prettier than something made in HTML and all contained in one file...
You can then link from the flash file (your program) to the files you want to open.

Then set the autorun file to run the program you created in flash as the guys described above...

HTH

Edit: Sorry, just realised this is just assuming you can 'aquire' a version of Macromedia's Flash... (I have a student edition... ;)) Then of course you have to learn how to do it - but it's really not that hard. Make a simple outlined button with text for each of the options you want, then create a mouseover effect which simply makes it pop a bit larger... That should be all you need and is all in the tutorials in the program.
Also, make sure you make the file that autoruns obvious for the user to find. This is in case a user (like me) has their autorun option disabled - then at least finding your menu program won't be too difficult...

monkeymax said:
Edit: Sorry, just realised this is just assuming you can 'aquire' a version of Macromedia's Flash... (I have a student edition... ;))

If you're looking to buy it, be prepared to empty your wallet (or purse in this case) cause it aint cheap.