AGAINST - Hybrid

1 thread would have been enough. :)

As for hybrids, I don't know, no test has shown any amazing advantages iirc...

Nice to meet you too, gavinfernback! Yes one thread would have been enough and since I'm making the first proper reply in this thread, lock the other one please.

Well if I had a small doodle and wanted an economical car, I'd have to go for a diesel over a hybrid. Its undenyable that diesel technology (not that theres much involved) is developing rapidly. Diesels are actually quite fast in its own weird kinda way.

After speaking to a family I know who own a Prius, I would definatly take a diesel over a hybrid. They said that for around 40% of the time, the power is being extracted from the petrol engine. Now if what they said was true, then why buy a hybrid at all? 40% is alot and for that 40% of time, that petrol engine is substancially slower than a diesel equivalent and less economical.

Finally, I couldn't justify the steeper price of a hybrid. Its not like your actually getting more car for your money.

+ I had a Clarkson-like expirience where I almost got run over by one cos I couldn't hear the damn thing :roll:

Hybrids are just stoopid. The fuel enonomy benefits are so minute and if you really want good enonomy, you buy a diesel. The only real reason people buy hybrids is the fact that they have been brainwashed by Toyota into thinking the Prius is the most environmentally friendly car on the road. Well it's fucking not. Even one green movement in America attacked Toyota recently about the fact that they were marketing their cars in a Jesus type way when they are really only as good as Mr Sheen. A little bit of a wipe there and it'll be all dirty again in 5 minutes when the batteries go flat and the petrol engine has to start up again. Toyota was very clever though and kept the attack under fairly good wraps. Shame on the people who buy hybrids, they're only a thing for your image and to show how small your brain really is.

AstroBoyMoto scale of vehicular excitement
------------------------------------------------------------
Hybrid = fun like rough sex with obese men in gorrila suits = typical Honda :thumbsdown:

Diesel = fun like watching obese men in gorrila suits have rough sex

4 stroke Petrol = fun like watching Kylie Minogue(or some dude if that's your thing) have rough sex

2 stroke Petrol = fun like having rough sex with Kylie Minogue(or some dude if that's your thing) :thumbsup:

erm ... just realised that makes me sound like a 14y.o :lol: ah well, the scale is right :mrgreen:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
+ I had a Clarkson-like expirience where I almost got run over by one cos I couldn't hear the damn thing :roll:

:lol:

And yeah, I've been told these really don't work out more economical than the average diesel, yet they don't perform as well... seems like a good argument against to me...

If you want to drive in something that does not destroy planets with great fuel economy buy a Lupo 3L

Yes and AstroBoyMoto is a motorbike fan therefore is lacking substance in the upper section of the body, a.k.a cranium.

The real scale of Vehicular excitement
------------------------------------------------

Hybrid = Being fucked up the arse by a gorilla

Diesel Runabout = Being fucked up the arse by an obese man in a gorilla suit

Petrol Runabout = Being felt up in a gay bar (if you're straight. if you are gay i apoligise for the metaphor but it really is unbearably uncomfortable if you are straight)

Diesel 'Sports' = Playing a good tune on a childs keyboard, then you run out of notes (Thank you Mr. May)

Petrol Hot Hatch = Making it to first base with a hot chick

Petrol Sports Car = Making it to third base with your High School Crush

Petrol Exotic = BOOYAH!!! SEX WITH Carmen Electra*

*Or someone of equal hotness.

Motorbike = Death or Testicles sewn to ears.

Now there's a scale to go by. :mrgreen:

flyingfridge said:
Motorbike = Death
well unfortunately there isn't anyone around to tell us how exciting death is, next best thing be "near death experience" which I guess means motorcylces are the best for fun :p

I actually prefer sportscars to sportsbikes*, but for a student, it makes more economic sense to accelerate 0-100 in 3.5sec on a bike than a car ;)

*GP bikes are another matter and are better than anything

^^ See what i mean about the motorcyclist factor :roll: :mrgreen: :p

The one thing people seem to be forgetting about hybrids is how recyclable they are... One of the alst few bits of toxic waste created by new cars are their batteries. And hybrids have a lot of them!! Now how enviromentally friendly is that?

Also weight, these vars are heavy, tahnks to two engines and the above mentioned batteries etc.

And then there's the economy, which as said is not as good as one would expect from something as hyped as the hybrid

astroboymoto said:
GP bikes are another matter and are better than anything

Haha... But I feel you... Ferrari like performace up to 200 km/h for less than 14000 Euros is indeed awesome...

Hybrids -> Stupid!

Lilleput said:
If you want to drive in something that does not destroy planets with great fuel economy buy a Lupo 3L

Planets?? That sentence gave me visions of Chevy Malibus cruising the universe and running over planets that have high gas mileage.

Im just playing with you. :)

astroboymoto said:
flyingfridge said:
Motorbike = Death
well unfortunately there isn't anyone around to tell us how exciting death is, next best thing be "near death experience" which I guess means motorcylces are the best for fun :p

I actually prefer sportscars to sportsbikes*, but for a student, it makes more economic sense to accelerate 0-100 in 3.5sec on a bike than a car ;)

*GP bikes are another matter and are better than anything

motorbikes = orgasmic climax death while fulfilling <insert fantasy here> with <insert proper warm body here>

I just think that hybrids are a overly complex solution to the problem. I'm the sort that likes to maintain my own car, I've learned how to do so under yee old shade tree. I'm okay with new fangled computers and everything, usually they help, but hybrids are just a tad beyond my reach.

Now a deisle engine running on some bio fluel or gtl or somthing. I can handle that. I also think it may have some nice effects on a couple american industries.

stapler123 said:
I just think that hybrids are a overly complex solution to the problem. I'm the sort that likes to maintain my own car, I've learned how to do so under yee old shade tree. I'm okay with new fangled computers and everything, usually they help, but hybrids are just a tad beyond my reach.

Now a deisle engine running on some bio fluel or gtl or somthing. I can handle that. I also think it may have some nice effects on a couple american industries.

whats that i here? take america's love of fried food to the next level and run your vehicle off the used trap grease? turn the US mid-west farms into the next OPEC through bio-diesel?

:D

flyingfridge said:
Petrol Hot Hatch = Making it to first base with a hot chick

Petrol Sports Car = Making it to third base with your High School Crush

Petrol Exotic = BOOYAH!!! SEX WITH Carmen Electra*

*Or someone of equal hotness.

:thumbsup: Petrol all the way baby!

Hybrids are boring and a waste of money. If you're that worried about bloody fuel consumption and the planet, buy a diesel.

stapler123 said:

Another very good point. Cars are already over-complicated for the average person who wants to maintain their own vehicles, and constantly getting worse thanks to the amount of electronics and computers in them...

Another reason I love my car too - it may be 14 years old, but it's so easy to maintain as everything is mechanical - I don't even think I have an ECU in my car! (Bit difficult to tell from books or 'net as 1.9GTi version of my car does have ECU and Peugeot tended to put them in some models and not others, and I haven't bothered checking yet)

Lilleput said:
A Lupo with a 3 Liter engine sounds fun! :evil:

Alright, so since nobody seems to like hybrids around here, what if they made a diesel hybrid? :think:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!