V8 Pontiac Solstice!!!

matt_shaw

Just another .ca?
ohhhh my lord. the base package has 400hp but you can get a supercharger installed that can bring the power up to 550hp

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

soo nice
http://img270.imageshack.**/img270/1233/solsticenorwalkpitssmall1sg.jpg

heheh looks pretty insane, although an aussie company, Bullet has been putting lexus v8s in Mx5s for years so this is nothing new. The price is awesome though, $18000 US. i'm very very impressed by that....

flyingfridge said:
The price is awesome though, $18000 US. i'm very very impressed by that....
I assume that's the price for the conversion, not for the car. :p

WorldCarFans said:
Only 100 cars will be built! With a base price of only $18,000 they will be sure to go fast.

??? How has it been asking for a V8? The reviews have been that the handling is crap with the stock motor, how well do you think the chassis will handle a V8?

matt_shaw said:
meh mx5

i think the pontiac solstice is much better looking; its been asking for a V8

flyingfridge said:
WorldCarFans said:
Only 100 cars will be built! With a base price of only $18,000 they will be sure to go fast.

thats impossible because it MSRP's for $20,000

@kem - i didnt explain myself enough. in the package they include new springs, shocks and other things

must be the conversion then. still, that's a bloody cheap V8 roadster...

:lol: heheh that's a great metaphor!!! :lol:

Tomo Motorsport said:
Nelis said:
We'll that will make it understeer like a giraffe on ice :p

I think it would oversteer, since the car is light and has all that extra power.

yeah but it will have an aircraft carrier under the bonnet.

I always thought that car was just an identical twin to the MX5. I saw it at the 2004 & 2005 Philly Autoshow, and the inside just looks so similar, just more americanized with cheap plastic. The outside was another story, I do like the black.

Or maybe it will do both, ending up all over the place!!
This car was build for a smallish 4-cylinder engine, how can it be asking for a big V8??? A V6 maybe but a V8...
But if it's reliable enough and they really have adapted the suspension to the new weight layout and so on, it could be a pretty good car.

No Boss said:
Tomo Motorsport said:
Nelis said:
We'll that will make it understeer like a giraffe on ice :p

I think it would oversteer, since the car is light and has all that extra power.

yeah but it will have an aircraft carrier under the bonnet.

I always thought that car was just an identical twin to the MX5. I saw it at the 2004 & 2005 Philly Autoshow, and the inside just looks so similar, just more americanized with cheap plastic. The outside was another story, I do like the black.
According to a quite reliable Autoweek article the new engine only adds 150lbs. to the roadster's weight.

And vanMould, it's just you.

All of you swear as if the LS motors come from airplanes. Get your facts straight :bangin:

I smelled the bias before i even opened the thread :yucky:

reminds me of that one Mx-5 with the vette engine stuffed under the hood, it was posted here before.

The center of the engine is behind the front axle, so the weight balance shouldn't be affected much. Besides, with all the extra front stiffness and grip they've put in it, I bet it understeers less than a stock Solstice if you lift off the gas... And oversteers as much as you want when you stand on it.

I don't like GM cars, or GM engines, but this thing looks like a great car. I'd bet anyone $5 that it can beat a Z4 3.0 around most race tracks.

Oh, and it looks good too.

Big V8s have been put into small cars for ages with great results, just becasue a car comes from the factory with a 4 cylinder or rotary doesn't mean that's "all it can handle". With proper engine placement and suspension tuning the results can be quite fantastic, and putting a V8 doesn't necessarily add much if any weight. Given a choice of a high HP turbo 4 cylinder and an NA all aluminum V8, the V8 usually will end up weighing less, and that weight will be closer to the firewall as well.

I am constantly stunned at the lack of tuners on this board. For a hugely international car board you would think that there would be more people into seriously modifying thier cars.