V8 Pontiac Solstice!!!

I don't like the stock Solstice very much, but this one looks like a lot of fun. Who cares about the interior trim and all that stuff, it's a tiny car with a Corvette engine, so it has to be good. Reminds me of those first AC Cobras in a way.

This car is exactly what Americans need, showing the Europeans how we have fun. :thumbsup:

BlaRo said:
And vanMould, it's just you.

Ok, I've gotta admit that this tuned version looks decent.

But those headlights! Gah! The look like they were taken from a Micra! And the grille looks like it just had to be there for it to be a Pontiac! And the rear! It looks just like the front! I bet it would have two small numberplates if it could...

zenkidori said:
Big V8s have been put into small cars for ages with great results, just becasue a car comes from the factory with a 4 cylinder or rotary doesn't mean that's "all it can handle". With proper engine placement and suspension tuning the results can be quite fantastic, and putting a V8 doesn't necessarily add much if any weight. Given a choice of a high HP turbo 4 cylinder and an NA all aluminum V8, the V8 usually will end up weighing less, and that weight will be closer to the firewall as well.

I am constantly stunned at the lack of tuners on this board. For a hugely international car board you would think that there would be more people into seriously modifying thier cars.

I do like tuning, but I'm more the person of stick a big turbo on it (yeh it requires a lot more then just a turbo, but so to speak...) and it will generate a load of horsepower.
But then again I'm more of a asian car freak :evil:

I hate the look of the Solstice but with a V8? Hmmmmmmmm, that's a tempting mixture.

Pity you can't put a V-NotAnUglyPieceOfShitAnymore in a car like that, because it could use some.

Carroll Shelby was actually the first to stuff a big motor into a Miata 10 years ago. He dropped the Mustang 5.0 V8 into the Miata. VanMould, I agree with ya dude. That car is rubbish. The Saturn Sky version of the car (same everything except skin) looks much better.

zenkidori said:
Big V8s have been put into small cars for ages with great results, just becasue a car comes from the factory with a 4 cylinder or rotary doesn't mean that's "all it can handle". With proper engine placement and suspension tuning the results can be quite fantastic, and putting a V8 doesn't necessarily add much if any weight. Given a choice of a high HP turbo 4 cylinder and an NA all aluminum V8, the V8 usually will end up weighing less, and that weight will be closer to the firewall as well.

I am constantly stunned at the lack of tuners on this board. For a hugely international car board you would think that there would be more people into seriously modifying thier cars.

Just wait till I get my own place with a good piece of land. I have a couple of projects I want to do. ;).

matt_shaw said:
i dont understand why people are hatin on the mallet solstice. having it lowered with thoughs wheels make it look soo mean
its got a cutesy face though.

I like it but considering the cost of the car plus the upgrades you could have bought a Corvette, although arguably this'll be more fun and it's a bit of a sleeper too.

Matthew

kem said:
??? How has it been asking for a V8? The reviews have been that the handling is crap with the stock motor, how well do you think the chassis will handle a V8?

Ha! TheSolstice pulls a .89 on the skidpad, the new MX-5? .85. Being an avid Pontiac fan, I quite excited about this car, since its the best thing GM has thought up since....since ever!

But, I think dropping a V8 into it ruins the whole point of the car itself. Roadsters are light sport cars that focus on a balance of handling and power.

zenkidori said:

Well, you and I need to put our heads together, since thats ALL I think about. :thumbsup: My life is cars

jayhawk said:
kem said:
??? How has it been asking for a V8? The reviews have been that the handling is crap with the stock motor, how well do you think the chassis will handle a V8?

Ha! TheSolstice pulls a .89 on the skidpad, the new MX-5? .85. Being an avid Pontiac fan, I quite excited about this car, since its the best thing GM has thought up since....since ever!

But, I think dropping a V8 into it ruins the whole point of the car itself. Roadsters are light sport cars that focus on a balance of handling and power.

skidpad numbers measure grip, not handling. and this car is actually the same as the Sky which is actually a vauxhall, the pontiac just has a different body. this is like the Monaro/GTO.

Well....an LS V8 is a pushrod motor which makes it very compact. It's a similar size to a lot of OHC V6s so I wouldn't have thought that it would add too much weight to the car, and being behind the front axel will help.

Every article I've read in the UK about the Solstice though says it's a pile of poo when it comes to handling and NVH. It's wierd because the arcticles I've seen here in Canada like it! I sense a GM pay off possibly :p Saw one the other day in Downtown Vancouver and it looked nice.