So is "Top Gear" ever going back on air in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they film it hypothetically in Canada, lets hope the do it in the West, like Calgary, where there are im sure plenty of mountain roads.

They can come film in Calgary any time! :thumbsup:

It's a quick jaunt to the Rockies and the roads there are picturesque. The Okanagan in BC is also very nice. Lots of great drives in the West!

yeah, here's from the last Top Gear mag, thanks to notepad2 for it's awesome translucent mode.
Top Gear said:
The Top Gear telly programme has quietly become a global phenomenon. Recent figures suggested an extraordinary viewership, something in the region of one billon people across the globe. This explains why Jeremy gets mobbed on the streets of Dubai, why Richard Hammond is swooned over by housewives in Auckland and why James May will shortly appear on a series of commemorative stamps in Luxembourg. Probably. Only one country has been strangely resistant to the charms of three blokes cocking about in an old aircraft hangar - the United States of America.

Untill now. Earlier this year, Discovery decided they wanted in on the Top Gear action, starting with 18 repackaged programmes using existing items from TG UK. Accordingly, our pluckly lads spent five days at the Top Gear base recording new studio linkds in a more American-friendly way. Basically, getting Jeremy not to call them fat and stupid. This, however, was a mere entree for Discovery's main plan: to make thier own version of Top Gear on US soil. Thier own studio, thier own test track, even - since our boys were too busy and anyway James May doesn'y like places that don't server a decent cup of tea - thier own presenters.

That's why earlier this eyar a brand new TG USA production team assembleddeep in the Mojave desert to create a pilot show for thier version of Britain's favourite almost-BAFTA-winning car programmer. And, liker thier idea of what constitues a decent cup of coffee, the American take on Top Gear wasn't entirely the same as ours. Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around arifield taxiways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit. Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience. And instead of The Tall One, The Short One and The Other Oen, they hired three rather different American presenters. Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph. John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint 'sir and m'am' good manners that only Americans can do. And, Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in wierd humor.

Fortunatly some reference points remained, including Star In A Reasonably Priced Car. But, to set the power laps, there could be no substitue - the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered the CLS55, Charger, and Mustang round the circuit.

After two days' shooting, the show that popped out of the other end was something familiar and yet rather different. For one thing, filming in sunshine gives the show a glossy feel a million miles from another drizzle sodden canter down a runway in Surrey. And shouting "Bring on the Stig" just sounds cooler in an American accent.

If Discovery likes the pilot show, a series will follow in 2006. Then Americans can enjoy a weekly shot of Top Gear, just like the rest of the world.

Holy shit, I can't wait. :eek:

I feel positive about this show, as long as they review things besides boring domestics, and yak about nascar.

I'd go easy on "American stuff isn't as good." Take a look at the show, The Office. The British version is suicidally boring and the American version is sidesplitting hilarious. 'Nuf said.

I think we're going to ruin the show, actually - and i'm from chicago.

As much as I like the states, we're going to mess it up - better leave it up to the 3 best presenters of all time.

zenkidori said:

the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered the CLS55, Charger, and Mustang round the circuit.

What an American Top Gear and they only tested one American car. :lol:

twoquickcapri said:
zenkidori said:

the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered the CLS55, Charger, and Mustang round the circuit.

huh?

two cars

twoquickcapri said:
zenkidori said:

Two cars and don't laugh. I'd hope they test more foreign cars and it doesn't become a USA love-fest.

I guess im for it, so long as it has its own charm and it isnt just a ripoff, mebe it'll work out in a way that the schedule will put it in between the proper TG season so theres always somethng to watch....Im still hoping they promote some real racing like F1 and WRC rather than just NASCAR

matt_shaw said:
twoquickcapri said:
zenkidori said:

huh?

two cars

DaimlerChrysler is no longer a American car maker in my eyes. The Charger is a reskined Mercedes with a Chrysler drivetrain. If Mercedes would not have saved Chysler a few year ago they would not be around today. That if the goerment did step in to save them.

but still....as some had said already, TG wouldn't be as nice with all that "american fittings" as they put all that other stuff in it. and lets hope it presents other things as well. for me, i would still go for TG UK in the end.... :)

twoquickcapri said:
matt_shaw said:
twoquickcapri said:
zenkidori said:

huh?

two cars

DaimlerChrysler is no longer a American car maker in my eyes. The Charger is a reskined Mercedes with a Chrysler drivetrain. If Mercedes would not have saved Chysler a few year ago they would not be around today. That if the goerment did step in to save them.

soooooooo that would make jaguar and aston martin american brands since they're owned by ford and use technologies developed by ford right?

matt_shaw said:
soooooooo that would make jaguar and aston martin american brands since they're owned by ford and use technologies developed by ford right?

Yep ;)

BTW

Hope then do a good job with this Top Gear. I will always welcome a new car show, good or bad. Also PLEASE don't show any NASCAR stuff. We have NASCAR TV....umm, Oh sorry, the Speed Channel for that.

Yeah, I'm cautiously excited about this announcement. I mean, there is the great propensity that they will see how the UK spliced versions tanked here in the states, so they have to make it less like the UK version, and from what it seems like, they don't seem to care about the entertainment value. I mean would I rather hear some professional drag racer or some reality TV show person talk about a car, or would I rather hear people like Jeremy, Richard and James, car journalists who have spent years of their life discussing cars, giving actual opinions.

I'd love to see a good copy of Top Gear imported to the states and I really hope it was more successful than the previous TG USA. As long as they don't make statements such as "The new ford mustang is better than a BMW M5" and that they restrict themselves to commenting positively about NASCAR (negative comments would be greatly appreciated).

Status
Not open for further replies.