So is "Top Gear" ever going back on air in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, please tell me the reality star isnt Johnny Fairplay.

:puke:

Of course, I'll watch regardless of how much it sucks.

Well, I got an e-mail about this news coming out. Being an American and a huge Top Gear fan, and laughing along with all the American bashing..hell I am half British in heratige so who really cares.

Weither or not that this new one is good...it is not Top Gear that I have come to enjoy. I wish BBC America would have done something about it :thumbsdown:

I think as long as they are not politically correct, then they might have a chance. One of the charms of Top Gear is that they don't pull any punches when reviewing cars. If a car is crap, they will call it crap. On shows like Motor Trend, Autoweek, Car and Driver TV, they are so gentle with how they phrase their criticisms that it makes it boring. I can't stand it. So, as long as they are blunt about how they feel and the hosts have their own distinctive personalities, then it might have a chance. That's it really. That's what makes Top Gear so great, the hosts. They argue sometimes about the merit of cars and trash them if they feel they need to. I'm afraid that US auto makers will have such an influence on them though that they will be to afraid of speaking their minds. They will end up all the same. Just a nameless voice selling cars on tv. That will suck. They will only be successful if the brass at Top Gear US has balls.

aribus said:
They will only be successful if the brass at Top Gear US has balls.
Which, im thinking it wont. Too many people here lawsuit happy; in case you havent listened to radio talk shows, pretty stupid. Buuut the Disco channel bunch is intelligent enough...oh the anicipation! i didnt see any due dates, whens it coming out?

oh, :welcome:

I dunno about you guys but if you wanna know what americans think is a great host for a car show, look at AutoManiac on the History channel (Discovery sub-channel) and Rides on TLC (yep another channel by Discovery). AutoManiac picked a pro wrestler for a host, and it's quaite hilarious to watch, not that they meant it to be. TLC uses the generic wannabe 'badass' and naturally none of them are funny or original.
Surprisingly AutoManiac isn't so bad, just because of the cars the pick (anything from italian exotics to classic 30's cars, including porsche speedsters and detomaso panteras :) ) but if it wasn't for that, the show would be crap.
It's basically the same as Arnold being the "Gov'na of Calyfohnia", sure people watch his speeches but it's a morbid curiosity, not respect or interest :lol:

Honnestly, i wouldn't give a flying f**k about the new focus or clio or whatever if it wasn't for the 3 hosts. FG makes that painfully clear, and they're british too.

BerserkerCatSplat said:
Mercury said:
Americans have a problem when it comes to cars....they suck donkey balls at it. No understanding what so ever to how they work,why they are here,who buys them and why. If they give Americans their own Top Gear Im giving Iran a nulear factory.
I like Americans, but when it comes to cars they are just so friggin useless it scares me...I drove a brand new Le Sabre yesterday and oh my dear god that car is horrid,and o/c it's american so in about 3 weeks all the little bits of trim will fall off and it'll be uncomfortable as well as ugly.
DON'T GIVE THEM TOP GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

...and yet, after your cockbarf of anti-Americanism, your username is still Mercury. An American car manufacturer.

Am I the only one who sees the irony here? :?

Actually I never even thought about that as a car name lol,this is just my nickname on-line since I was a space freak as a child.
It was a bit anti-american that post,but don't get me wrong,I love Americans for tons of other stuff (AKA the ladies, the parties, Six Flags and the general lots of fun I had when I was there), BUT when it comes to cars I hate everything they ever did...We had a couple of Buicks and Pontiacs when I was a child and they are simply catastrophic. Maybe the GT40 was an exception but one car doesn't save a century of horrid ones.

Just because our mainstream offerings are crappy doesn't mean we should be denied a show about cars.

Though I agree with the sentiment that it will be thoroughly neutered for our fat, stupid asses. They'll probably get some extreme sports dude to rattle about how the Mustang is "off da heezy!", but I'm hoping for the best.

And just for the record twoquickcapri, the Charger is built on an LX platform developed by Chrysler, not by Mercedes. It just has a few bits from Benz.

I just re-read the article..I wonder where the studio is..must be close since they made the pilot out where I am.

Im just thinking, does Discovery get money from the BBC? i mean TG is funded by the worlds largest broadcasting organization and i know the BBC works with Discovery but does Disco get some of its money? how much will money will TGUSA have?? enough to constantly be doin what TG does with explosives and caravans and all the traveling etc..?

so yeah top gear usa... hmmm it will definitely not be as good. they're public transport against a car episodes will suck... the only countries they can go to are canada and mexico... and i doubt they will go south of the border. the presenters make the show and it will be nowhere near as good with out jeremy richard and james... they will definitely be biased towards american cars... just like the uk version loves their astons and such (db9 fridge)... but american sports cars suck so it will be ridiculous. you can't get half the cars reviewed in the uk series in the us...
as with the saskatechawn comment. i was born there and it is boring, but there's probably nowhere else in the world where the roads are streaight enough to get that beautiful veyron up to top speed...
if it sucks, they should buy the 'top gayer' name from the gay car enthusiast website mentioned in the series and that way they site can be called 'top queer' instead...
anyways i've ranted enough. i want to see how this pilot looks when we get a torrent of it up. and then i'll make some more comments...

wooflepoof said:
Im just thinking, does Discovery get money from the BBC? i mean TG is funded by the worlds largest broadcasting organization and i know the BBC works with Discovery but does Disco get some of its money? how much will money will TGUSA have?? enough to constantly be doin what TG does with explosives and caravans and all the traveling etc..?

BBC owns discovery

there will still only be one original top gear! I don't think the American version will be half as good.

matt_shaw said:
BBC owns discovery

No matt, you did that wrong. It's "BBC PWNEDS!!@#!!!one!!1ELEVENTY! Discovery."

Honestly though, I'm afriad this is gonna be chock full of muscle cars, beer ads, and NASCAR. And I just have this sneaking suspicion that instead of playing "Jessica" as the theme song its gonna be the song from that one beer commerical... "I love football on TV, shots of Gina Lee......AND TWINS!"

/how come there is no emoticon for "Side Show Bob" disgusted shivering?

i really want it to be good, but i've just got a feeling it'll be shite :( then again, i expected to hate the US version of the office, but i don't mind it. so here's hoping...

Ahh a TG that dosn't laugh @ the Americans especially their fear of corners wouldn't be a TG at all...

I for one predict a FLOP especially since the Americans will do as they always do.. make it all about them when they are oblivious to the fact they maek the worst cars on the planet still!

Ohh yay the new Mustang... new Charger etc etc... they're crap *_*

I for one will laugh @ them when the USTG blows up in their faces.

BBC owns discovery
Oh, that explains all the British people on pretty much every show. So they have BBC $$ then. They just need to find somebody thats outspoken enough that knows about cars that doesnt mind bashing a Sable.

I figure that this might be OK as long as they keep the PC stuff under control.

To yroachy...
Why do they need to go to Canada or Mexico for the challenge races? America is freaking huge. How about a Ford GT v Plane/train from LA to NY, that would be quite interesting. Plus the star in a cheap car would be good if they could snag some big 'A' list stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.