Anyone know what's the time for any F1 car on the 1/4 mile?

Those F1 figures above is slow f1 figures as far as i know.. A F1 car should certainly be faster than 2.6 when doing 0-100 km/h.

And about braking, F1 drivers also say that it's not really the acceleration, og turning you really have to get used to.. It's the braking. You have to brake a lot later than what you would think is possible.. :) It's really amazing...
And if you watch F1 and see those G-meters they sometimes show on the screen, then you clearly see that it's in the braking they achieve the highest numbers - and in the long fast turns of course :)

jensked said:
I saw an interview with a Belgian driver that will be driving in F1 next season.

He claimed you have to push 80kg with your foot to fully brake... (that's more than I weigh!) :shock:
dang!! its weird, you see all the drivers are small skiny people, where do they get all that power from.

logo said:
jensked said:
I saw an interview with a Belgian driver that will be driving in F1 next season.

He claimed you have to push 80kg with your foot to fully brake... (that's more than I weigh!) :shock:
dang!! its weird, you see all the drivers are small skiny people, where do they get all that power from.

Lots of training. There?s an episode of Fifth Gear where Tiff goeas trough the training F1 pilots do. They?re skinny but they have very low fat percentage, so they?re mainly muscle.

Hell, even karting is exhausting. :lol:

I was fortunate enough to be a passenger in an two seater downforce race car.
You wouldn't believe how much force you're subjected to when going through a corner.

9 second Skyline GT-Rs are a dime a dozen in Japan. Those are also AWD and 1000+hp like the Veyron . . . but weigh several hundred pounds less.

zenkidori said:
yeah but guess where the power comes in with a huge turbo, there's a reason they are highway racers.

Turbo lag is the reason the GT-R is AWD. You can dump the clutch at 6000rpm and it will still grip for take off (granted you have a beefy clutch)! It feels like you got hit by a freight train from behind. GT-R's are famous for its stand still launch as well as corner exit speed.

Z Draci said:
Turbo lag is the reason the GT-R is AWD.

Err I think you'll find the GT-Rs have AWD for the extra grip & ability to transfer the power to the ground, not to overcome turbo lag with 6000rpm launches.

fbc said:
Z Draci said:
Turbo lag is the reason the GT-R is AWD.

Err I think you'll find the GT-Rs have AWD for the extra grip & ability to transfer the power to the ground, not to overcome turbo lag with 6000rpm launches.

bigger turbo ---> turbo lag ---> power ---> necessity for AWD

Since turbocharged cars tend to bog down upon launches and corner exit, drivers tend to drift the cars to keep the RPMs in the powerband (see F1 drivers during the turbocharged era). The driver's tendency to do this made Nissan put an AWD system in the GT-R to help with grip during corner exit acceleration in a four wheel drift. The GT-R wouldn't need AWD if the rear tyres never slipped and gripped infinitely.

See . . . I did make sense!

Just like to add my two cents.

The 0-400 metre sprint for your typical f1 car of 2005 spec is a little of 8 seconds, with a terminal of just under 160mph

Ciao

Z Draci said:
9 second Skyline GT-Rs are a dime a dozen in Japan. Those are also AWD and 1000+hp like the Veyron . . . but weigh several hundred pounds less.

don't forget the gearboxes they use is for dragging also, helps alot. besides how boring is it to see yet another tuned skyline? pshh :p veyron all za way. btw how much does the veyron weigh?

wow! is most of it from the engine?

Yeah. The engine alone weighs over 400kg (+ 40-l sump oil), the DSG is 120kg. It also has a 200 litre fuel tank, 10 radiators (i.e. a lot of colant) and 4wd.

Yes, it is quite heavy. That's because the parts are designed to last 10+ years and withstand every day use. Because of that they had to beef up a lot of stuff=more weight. Yes, a Formula 1 car only weighs about 1/3, but for instance the gearbox in an F1 car only has to last one weekend and an F1 engine doesn't have a lot of torque. As opposed to the Bugatti, which has a lot of that. ;)

jensked said:
^ indeed, the driver said that it's a sport that really uses every muscle you've got.

For example, when you turn, your helmet and head generate several G. So your neck has to be trained to 'lift' three or more times its own weight.

exactly right!! take fernando alonso for instance. he's got a beefy neck like that of a boxer. he wouldn't croak if you hung him from a noose!

fernando_alonso_150.jpg

Wait a minute.

" saw an interview with a Belgian driver that will be driving in F1 next season.

He claimed you have to push 80kg with your foot to fully brake"

That's bullshit.
Just think about it and if you are smart enuff you will get it.

If only we could all be smart enough to use 'words' like 'enuff', maybe we'd all be on your intellectual level...

And, I'm pretty sure it wont seem that much since the g's from braking will be helping along. It will probably be the equivalent of 80kg if the g's were taken out.

jensked said:

I've been checking out this forum for a while but when I read this, I felt that I had to sign up.

80 kg is not that great deal of pedal force! In fact, to achieve maximum braking power from your ABS in an emergency, you'll have to apply 60-80 kg of pressure. An article concerning ESP (dated back to early 2001) in one of Norway's biggest newspapers mention this [in Norwegian] under the third heading. So it's not that impressive, although the F1-drivers themselves are otherwise impressive athletes.

Coming to think of it, I can easily push 150kg up at a steep angle in one of those machines at the gym, and I'm not very fit at all! Your - anyones - legs are just pretty strong.