So is "Top Gear" ever going back on air in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made In the USA said:
watto said:
wooflepoof said:
[no offence to the yanks here :)]
Isn't 'yanks' supposed to be offensive :roll: not that i mind

No, yanks isn't offensive in the context that we (Aussies) use it. Just another word for USA residents, yanks. It's like calling the Brits 'poms', so please don't take offence if an Aussie calls any of you 'yanks', it's just us being lazy :p
Yank isn't offensive to me, anyway when I lived in Australia last year everyone called me Seppo and I knew what it meant and didn't care at all, hell I still sign my emails to them as Seppo. :D

When I called a fellow American over there Seppo he got all bent out of shape about it, saying some bullshit that I have lived here long enough to not be called that, I told him to "Get Fucked, your ass is as full of shit as anyone else," and he was still an American citizen even though he has been married to an Aussie for years now, he won't become a Aussie citizen as long as you guys are still in the Common Wealth, so basically that means never.

a lot of it is in context and tone too... like when i lived back home, we'd call my american mate "buck the seppo" or "my septic mate buck"... or if we were watching the rugby league and having a few drinks, it'd be "what does a septic know about footy?!!" :) and we all thought that was funny... i think it made him feel a bit of an adopted aussie. anyone who's lived there knows that mates take the piss outta mates... that's the australian way :)

but if a stranger called him a "useless fucking septic" or something like that, then i wouldn't class that as a pisstake, it'd be an insult.

so a lot of it comes down to context...

fuck me there's a lot useless septics in this forum! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

roundhead said:
i think it made him feel a bit of an adopted aussie. anyone who's lived there knows that mates take the piss outta mates... that's the australian way :)
That is how I took it, I was over there playing baseball, so I felt it was good thing that they called me Seppo, if they didn't I figured I would be in trouble. You know how teammates get.

By the way I miss the Footy Show so much(NRL version, as if there is anyother kind :p ) especially Jones and his Reg Reagan and the American he plays. One episode when he was the American and he says "nice country you Aussies have. A lot like ours, just not as good" I started laughing like hell, that is when my mates started with the "useless fucking septic" lines :lol:

wooflepoof said:
I wonder what the resonably priced cars gunna be...Camry mebe?
More likely a Scion xA or a Hyundai Accent

I still just don't see the Anti-American sentiment.
To me, it seems that Jeremy is just as harsh on a British car, even calling the Rolls-Royce build process "pathetic" because it is basically a German car bolted together in England.
The cars on that show are largely escapism, that is to say, people like to see things they don't see a lot of, or dream about.
For Brits it's big V-8's, muscle cars, that sort of thing.
For Americans it's hyper-exotics on alpine back roads and autobahns.
They definitely have the mix down perfectly. Blend in a little British style humor (playing darts with cars, donut spinning grannies) and it's just a great show.

Made In the USA said:
watto said:
wooflepoof said:

No, yanks isn't offensive in the context that we (Aussies) use it. Just another word for USA residents, yanks. It's like calling the Brits 'poms', so please don't take offence if an Aussie calls any of you 'yanks', it's just us being lazy :p
Yank isn't offensive to me, anyway when I lived in Australia last year everyone called me Seppo and I knew what it meant and didn't care at all, hell I still sign my emails to them as Seppo. :D

When I called a fellow American over there Seppo he got all bent out of shape about it, saying some bullshit that I have lived here long enough to not be called that, I told him to "Get Fucked, your ass is as full of shit as anyone else," and he was still an American citizen even though he has been married to an Aussie for years now, he won't become a Aussie citizen as long as you guys are still in the Common Wealth, so basically that means never.

Anyway back to the topic, I don't think it will hold a candle to UK TG, but if it does catch on and depending on the track layout and characteristics, down the road it may actually be beneficial to our auto-industry, forcing us to create more driver oriented cars. It has the possibility, much like UK TG, to be a no-holds-bar head-to-head competition for the various car companies foreign and domestic.

It would be awesome and unrealistic if they build a track similar to GMs Milford Road Course, which is based on the Ring, or the Ascari Racing Resort. But imagine if the likes of a Mario Andretti joins the show as ?consultant,? and has a top notch single use track, now that is something I would watch.

And remember that though Clarkson, Hamster and Captain Slow are great the show is scripted and considering that damn near every country buys our TV shows, which last time I checked had American writers, I think USA TG has a chance to succeed.

Chambers said:
But thats just whats its gonna be all about. All american cars...
Do you work for the producers who are pitching this program to Discovery? Where do you come up with this conclusion, pull your head out, and lets think before we type...please
siloops said:
Beside who gives a shit ass bout american cars and american landscapes? just thinkin about it makes me sick...
Why does everyone think it will be only about American cars, last time I checked the American market is full of imports car manufacturers. The reason why we don't import UK TG, for one; some will be angry about the Anti-American comments, but more importantly as mentioned by many others we don't have the same cars over here as Europe does, for instance we have absolutely no French cars what so ever, not to mention the hyper-European specialty brands, though I have read that Pagani will be making cars that conform to our safety and smog requirements with their next generation of cars after the Zonda F, meaning that the US spec will probably be the world spec car as well, and Alfa Romeo is planing a US come back in the next few years.

Plus what are you talking about, the American landscape is the most diverse of any country in the world, save maybe Russia. Maybe you should leave the Bay Area once and a while and take a look, I did. Even a trip up and down Highway 1 is awesome and I mean the entire Highway 1, from the Washington through California. Not to mention the unbelievable rock formations throughout New Mexico.

Plus this site will still be up and we will still get our fixes for JC, Hamster and Captain slow. So bascially there is no need to bash anything, especially since it has not even aired yet.

zenkidori said:
I think it'll be a bit closer to Fifth Gear than Top Gear, but that said I'll be watching it with an open mind, knowing that it's a suppliment rather than a replacement for TGUK.
This is my take on the situation too.(By the way you have Che and the Masons in your sig, abit of an oxymoron isn't it?)

Just remember the world will keep on spinning...even with a Top Gear USA.

VERY WELL SAID!

Im sure someone will throw up the torrents as soon as its out, but if not, ill be sure to post them up.

Personally, I can't see this show being any good for all of the above reasons. Biggest problem I think will be the hosts. Everyone Ive met in Pro Drag racing is either a complete idiot, or knows only about the car they drive. I want a car pro that does real racing and knows about ALL cars, not just someone reading the teleprompter. Jay Leno would be kinda strange on top gear, but he is retiring soon, and he could supply most of the cars for the show :D . Throw in a girl too, maybe Ashley Force or any other hot girl who can drive. Other problem of course is the cars, which I have no interest in seeing a Mustang being praised when I see a billion of them everyday in San Antonio. Seriously, my 225hp Audi TT wastes the new GT and its supposed to have 300hp. Some car, but will they actually say anything bad about it? Guess we will have to see...

Oh, and I kinda dont think that they will need to drive to other countries seeing as it takes over 3 days to drive accross the US, and also considering that the biggest west european country (France) is only 4/5ths the size of texas.

No way it's that long. I thought it was like 2008.

Guys, just found you after a mammoth Googling session. It's great to come across a forum that does discussion, not arguments (well mainly anyhow). For my two er.. pence if they can find presenters like Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters, it could actually work. Discovery don't seem to make any BAD programs, so give them a chance. I've been surprised at the lack of choice of cars you've got out there - nothing French at all? Jeez, how you're suffering. :roll:

Viper007Bond said:
No way it's that long. I thought it was like 2008.
It's actually 2009, I was exaggerating. Either way it's far too long off for Leno to do TGUSA, and he has too much money to bother I'm sure.

Something Leno said regarding retirement:
"You can do these things until they carry you out on a stretcher or you can get out while you're still doing good," Leno said on Monday night's show. "I'm not quitting show business, but I realized I'm not spending enough time with my cars."

Well, hey, that works perfectly! TG USA can do the same thing as Top Gear UK did: ditch one of their presenters after the first season and bring in someone better! (in this case, Leno) Plus, Leno gets to stay in show biz and still play with cars! It's genius!

I see a billion of them everyday in San Antonio
Mustangs trucks and Civics. What part of San Antonio, im up here Near Retama, Judson, the Amphitheatre etc.

Wow, u in HS or college or what?

Im literally 17 seconds behind Hobby Lobby at the forum. When im at home and not school

Made In the USA said:
watto said:
wooflepoof said:

Anyway back to the topic, I don't think it will hold a candle to UK TG, but if it does catch on and depending on the track layout and characteristics, down the road it may actually be beneficial to our auto-industry, forcing us to create more driver oriented cars. It has the possibility, much like UK TG, to be a no-holds-bar head-to-head competition for the various car companies foreign and domestic.

It would be awesome and unrealistic if they build a track similar to GMs Milford Road Course, which is based on the Ring, or the Ascari Racing Resort. But imagine if the likes of a Mario Andretti joins the show as ?consultant,? and has a top notch single use track, now that is something I would watch.

And remember that though Clarkson, Hamster and Captain Slow are great the show is scripted and considering that damn near every country buys our TV shows, which last time I checked had American writers, I think USA TG has a chance to succeed.

Chambers said:
But thats just whats its gonna be all about. All american cars...
Do you work for the producers who are pitching this program to Discovery? Where do you come up with this conclusion, pull your head out, and lets think before we type...please
siloops said:
Beside who gives a shit ass bout american cars and american landscapes? just thinkin about it makes me sick...
Why does everyone think it will be only about American cars, last time I checked the American market is full of imports car manufacturers. The reason why we don't import UK TG, for one; some will be angry about the Anti-American comments, but more importantly as mentioned by many others we don't have the same cars over here as Europe does, for instance we have absolutely no French cars what so ever, not to mention the hyper-European specialty brands, though I have read that Pagani will be making cars that conform to our safety and smog requirements with their next generation of cars after the Zonda F, meaning that the US spec will probably be the world spec car as well, and Alfa Romeo is planing a US come back in the next few years.

Plus what are you talking about, the American landscape is the most diverse of any country in the world, save maybe Russia. Maybe you should leave the Bay Area once and a while and take a look, I did. Even a trip up and down Highway 1 is awesome and I mean the entire Highway 1, from the Washington through California. Not to mention the unbelievable rock formations throughout New Mexico.

Plus this site will still be up and we will still get our fixes for JC, Hamster and Captain slow. So bascially there is no need to bash anything, especially since it has not even aired yet.

zenkidori said:
I think it'll be a bit closer to Fifth Gear than Top Gear, but that said I'll be watching it with an open mind, knowing that it's a suppliment rather than a replacement for TGUK.
This is my take on the situation too.(By the way you have Che and the Masons in your sig, abit of an oxymoron isn't it?)

I kinda wanted to dislike this post along with all the other american-bashing posts in this thread, but instead I find myself really having to agree with it all. I found out about TG UK through the edited american version shown on discovery not so long ago... and went looking to feed my fix over the course of the last month or so. I must say, I enjoy the unedited, warts n all, versions much better.

I like american cars (some of them). I like european cars. I'm what some might consider a fat american. I own a 2005 Ford Mustang GT... I really like the car (compared to others I've owned)... but would like to see improvements. I love Top Gear for its no holds bared look at the auto industry (world-wide). I take the american comments in stride (on the show) as usually Clarkson & the gang is spot on with them... or at the least funny.

The blind anti-american sentiments in this thread are a fair ammount above and beyond what I'd expect from a dedicated Top Gear audience... I seriously though you lot to be more educated than that... I expect it from something on the NASCAR/Speed channel (though some of the canadian imports on that channel are of interest once in a blue moon).

When it comes down to it, I cant say Im really 100% sure what to think of an american version of top gear. Really I'd much rather have the opportunity to just purchase a DVD version of the UK version and just enjoy it for what it is rather than some re-hashed american version (however the networks have managed to import a select few shows OK... although I find "the office" right dull).

I put myself squarely in the doubting they can pull it off camp for the US TG. Mostly that has to do with the culture of the US (or more to the point the corporate culture) and the way the 3 presenters were "cast." Simply put, I could give a shit what some gear-head says my car can do in a straight line... last I checked, my car(s) do more than go in a straight line. That is somewhat my worry. Its all 0-60 in this country (or bling-bling rice), and I find that quite dull...

When it comes down to it, I dont want blind patriotism (and I don't care what country... US, UK, CA, AU, whatever)... I find that rather dull as well. I don't get that feeling from UK TG at all... more than one occasion they've ripped on a UK manufacturer... if only because they relied on foreign parts. Spare no punches, make it an even playing field.

Ultimately, if the US show is a huge hit, I wonder how many will claim that its because it panders to an american audience, or its reviews are rubbish compared to the UK version or... take your pick... our scenery isn't as good as the rest of the world (a WTF comment if I've ever seen one)... and if the show flops, there'll be those waiting in the wings to say "see, I told yah the stupid fat american yanks couldnt do it right" In the end, I reckon we're fucked one way or the other... but in a lot of things we do lately, that seems to be world opinion... The deck is stacked against us simply because we were born under the red, white & blue. Maybe we really are that shallow and stupid, etc... but... I wish some of you would at least give us the chance that Clarkson & the boys seem to...

Indeed it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.