Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah but they would be 20 years old by now, so probably in need of a lot of TLC before it can become a daily, remember I'm talking about a standard work truck, not one of those wacky conversions, at that point might as well bring a slightly older F series from the states and do a ground up restoration.

Cheapest option on those is the Lexus LX variant. The buying public that raves over the LC badged version still doesn't seem to have figured out the Lexus version is the same truck...

They seem pretty equivalent in price, but I am including the LX in my options. One reason people like the LC is that it's easier to find without the adjustable suspension and the (now very, very dated) navigation integration.

FJ cruiser or GTFO

So much "no". Those have the worst visibility of any non-armored vehicle I've ever been in and they aren't any larger than the Xterra. If I wanted something that size, I would just buy a late-production Xterra and move my mods over. I want something larger, more comfortable and that is actually a Land Cruiser. The FJ Cruiser is just a growth stunted Prado/4Runner.

They seem pretty equivalent in price, but I am including the LX in my options. One reason people like the LC is that it's easier to find without the adjustable suspension and the (now very, very dated) navigation integration.

When recently looking for one for a relative, I found that the LCs tend to go for 1.5-2x or more what the LX does, it was easy to find without Nav and the adjustable suspension was easily dealt with *and* was made mandatory on the later J100 LC’s anyway. Be advised that all of the 100 series (LC and LX) except the earliest ones come with the $3000+ surprise master cylinder/ABS pump/valve block combo unit surprise failure.

When recently looking for one for a relative, I found that the LCs tend to go for 1.5-2x or more what the LX does, it was easy to find without Nav and the adjustable suspension was easily dealt with *and* was made mandatory on the later J100 LC’s anyway. Be advised that all of the 100 series (LC and LX) except the earliest ones come with the $3000+ surprise master cylinder/ABS pump/valve block combo unit surprise failure.

It's a trade off, because the '06 and '07 have the better VVT systems. This is just a thought experiment right now anyway, I'm not in a position to dop $20K on a 20 year old vehicle. Up here, where people know 4WD a little better, they are pretty much identical or the Lexus is slightly more.

It's a trade off, because the '06 and '07 have the better VVT systems. This is just a thought experiment right now anyway, I'm not in a position to dop $20K on a 20 year old vehicle. Up here, where people know 4WD a little better, they are pretty much identical or the Lexus is slightly more.

In cities where the LX is mostly known as a soccer mom/kid taxi you can occasionally get examples of them in good shape with under 150K miles for $8k. We just did that last year. Down in less snowy climes, the price difference is huge.

More commonly available deal/price levels:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/fort-worth-2000-lexus-lx470/6782652594.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/plano-2005-lexus-lx470/6799860407.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/san-diego-1999-lexus-lx470-clean-title/6802042375.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/bellflower-2000-lexus-lx470-clean-title/6796617961.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/irvine-2000-lexus-lx470/6787092647.html

You can buy these things with 160-200K on them all day long for $8000-9000 in large urban centers. Many will be immaculate and have been cared for like clockwork at dealers their whole lives.

You basically can’t find a comparable LC for less than $15-20K in the same areas. Everyone knows what those can do, but in the urban sprawl about nobody seems to realize the LX is the same thing - it’s perceived as a kid taxi, a soccer mom mobile and the prices reflect it there. Just like up in snow country even rusted out 00s Subarus that were garbage to begin with go for stupid money where down here junkyards won’t even take them for free sometimes.

I’m serious. You can get the LX with acceptable or even low miles on them literally all day long in major sun belt cities for ~$8-9K. Right now, I think they’re *the* deal in larger off-roaders.

Edit: Here is an example of what the same money gets you in an LC - if you can find it: https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/houston-toyota-land-cruiser/6788274530.html

400K on the clock vs 160-200...

Last edited:
I toyed with the idea of replacing the XJ with an LX470 for a while, but then decided that would be a bad idea since I'd start spending too much money to make it something like this...

GfZdksw.jpg

4aAnyBF.jpg

:w00t:

Back in the old days one of my neighbours used to have a J60 LandCruiser, it was rusty as hell and was eventually scrapped around 2005ish. I've never seen another of that generation.

Man I wish Spring would... erm, spring. I do at least have nice new rear brake shoes.

He has a sensibleish car to offset the new costs, right? :D :p

The miles are pretty high. I'd like to find one I can afford with under 150K. Not that it matters, I can't buy anytime soon, this is just hypothetical. If the X were to be totaled for some reason, I would certainly go straight for the 100-series.

So a friend of mine calls me up the other day and says his Xterra (that his wife commutes with) is having problems. Apparently as she was pulling into their driveway, a wheel locked up and the thing won't move. It'll go a few feet back and forth but locks up hard. Wife says it's been making grinding noises for a couple of days but didn't have time to get it checked out. I figure it's a problem with the rear shoes, say sure I'll take a look at it and they have the thing towed to my place.

A quick back-and-forth in the alley shows it's the front passenger wheel that's locking up. Hits hard but will drive (with extra effort) in 4WD. Managed to pull the thing into the shop.

STXRbGy.jpg

dfg0Dzy.jpg

hFRQ5g5.jpg

Yeahhhh, I'm thinking that was grinding for more than just a couple of days. Brake pad is so worn down it became thin enough to slip out of the caliper and jam itself between the rotor and caliper bracket. Caliper pistons became the friction material at this point. Pad was so stuck it had to be pounded out with a chisel and mini-sledge.

So instead of a simple brake job, they get to pay me to replace the calipers and brackets as well. Maintain your vehicles, people! If that thing had locked up on the highway it could have killed somebody.

Days, weeks, what's the difference? lol

So a friend of mine calls me up the other day and says his Xterra (that his wife commutes with) is having problems. Apparently as she was pulling into their driveway, a wheel locked up and the thing won't move. It'll go a few feet back and forth but locks up hard. Wife says it's been making grinding noises for a couple of days but didn't have time to get it checked out. I figure it's a problem with the rear shoes, say sure I'll take a look at it and they have the thing towed to my place.

A quick back-and-forth in the alley shows it's the front passenger wheel that's locking up. Hits hard but will drive (with extra effort) in 4WD. Managed to pull the thing into the shop.

STXRbGy.jpg

dfg0Dzy.jpg

hFRQ5g5.jpg

Yeahhhh, I'm thinking that was grinding for more than just a couple of days. Brake pad is so worn down it became thin enough to slip out of the caliper and jam itself between the rotor and caliper bracket. Caliper pistons became the friction material at this point. Pad was so stuck it had to be pounded out with a chisel and mini-sledge.

So instead of a simple brake job, they get to pay me to replace the calipers and brackets as well. Maintain your vehicles, people! If that thing had locked up on the highway it could have killed somebody.
See what happens when you don't use low range in the snow? :p