The Music Thread

nZ4oa8h.jpg

giphy.gif

[video=youtube;7nqH4-amR88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqH4-amR88[/video]
...Because Floriderp.

Saw Mastodon live yesterday night, amazing show. It was my first time seeing them live, these guys are awesome, so much energy!

I usually never go see live bands by myself, but after missing Opeth and Gojira last year because all my friends decided to pass, I promised myself I would now go by myself if it came down to that. I'm glad I did.

Setlist:
The Last Baron
Sultan's Curse
Divinations
Crystal Skull
Ancient Kingdom
Bladecatcher
Black Tongue
Colony of Birchmen
Ember City
Megalodon
Andromeda
Oblivion
Show Yourself
Precious Stones
Roots Remain
Crack the Skye
Chimes at Midnight
Mother Puncher
Steambreather

Good mix of older stuff and their latest album.

I usually never go see live bands by myself, but after missing Opeth and Gojira last year because all my friends decided to pass, I promised myself I would now go by myself if it came down to that. I'm glad I did.

I never went to shows at all until last year mainly because, while I liked music, I never felt the need to see artists live plus got the impression that the recorded version was better. That and I didn't have anyone to go with.

Ended up falling in love with a particular band (Neck Deep) and decided that I should tackle my social anxiety at the same time and go see them live.

Best. Decision. Ever. - once there I realized that no one really cares what you do/if you're alone and if they do, fuck em and have fun. They were great live as well.

Since then I've been to 5 shows alone (sorta - I went to New Found Glory's 20th anniversary tour: a high school classmate and I realized we were both at the same show - never ended up hanging with him because I prefer watching from the balcony when possible but we spotted each other and chatted) and have no regrets.

Turns out that a friend of another FG member and I are also big pop-punk fans so we became fast friends and have plans to see Neck Deep together in January. It'll be interesting to see what I prefer - going it alone or not?

It's been a while since a song's brought tears to me eyes. I've always loved the original of the Black Sabbath song, and part of this video that "does it" for me is the reminder that he's recently gone (R.I.P.).

Last edited:
IceBone;n3419161 said:
This is completely different to anything you've ever heard before:

It reminds me of an Einsturzende Neubauten show, but if they were druids. :lol:

I hate his mustache, he's a terrible lip/finger sync-er, and I wish I could understand the lyrics coming out of his much mouth.

That said, I dig the song, and think the video is simple, but pretty cool.

Has anyone ever seen a Nightwish show live before?

I really want to catch them on their next North American tour, but want to know what its like.

Last edited:
I've seen Nightwish live 3 times.

Floor is a great singer and it's well worth going just to see her.
The rest of the band are great musicians, but they tend to get a bit stale.
IMO they have started to rely too much on pre-recorded backing tracks.

Last I've seen them Tarja was still touring. Went drinking with Marco at the afterparty. Drank everyone under the table. Man's a tank!

Concert was great too.

I've seen Nightwish live 3 times.

Floor is a great singer and it's well worth going just to see her.
The rest of the band are great musicians, but they tend to get a bit stale.
They've always had pre-recorded tracks for anything that's not a guitar, bass, some random keys or drums and now bagpipes with the addition of Troy.

I have both the Wacken and Wembley shows. Amazing stuff. Want to see them live again too, but there's no upcoming tour dates published.

You would be quite disappointed how much backing tracks are used today with every band that tours. I hate trying to mix it in on the small gigs that I do to make the balance of actual instrumentalist and the recorded instrument of theirs.

Glad to hear that its a good time. I guess I'm not too worried about the pre-recorded music. Pretty sure that when you're standing a hundred feet from the stage surrounded by thousands of people, music quality isn't you're top priority. Hoping they announce a tour soon, but not keeping my hopes high for 2019 since we're already into February and they seem to always do America in the spring. I actually don't remember the last time I went to a concert. Last concert I actually wanted to go to was the Guns N' Roses Reunion Tour kickoff in Detroit in 2016. I actually bought tickets to that show, but later decided to sell them on Stubhub. Was glad I did too because I later heard that they didn't take the stage until after midnight.

EDIT: I just remembered the last concert I went to...... Gogol Bordello in 2014.

Just came across Amaranthe via my Youtube recommended videos..... Probably because Minniva just dropped a cover on Friday.

Haven't listened to anything else yet, but I'm not so sure about this. Its like metal meets hip hop (at least thats what the vocals in this song remind me of) and I don't know how I feel about that.

Speaking of Minniva, if you haven't heard of her, definitely check out her youtube channel. Her covers of metal songs are REALLY good. Found her when I was looking for Storytime covers and its probably still my favorite on her channel

Just came across Amaranthe via my Youtube recommended videos..... Probably because Minniva just dropped a cover on Friday.

Haven't listened to anything else yet, but I'm not so sure about this. Its like metal meets hip hop (at least thats what the vocals in this song remind me of) and I don't know how I feel about that.

They've done more consistently radio friendly metal before (without such hip hop elements). But I do like their use of three vocalists. Here's one that's still in regular radio rotation.

This makes me reconsider seeing him live again, since there's a Euro tour coming up. :w00t:

Was just discussing music and what bands I listen to with @thevictor390 and discovered an interesting statistic.

I mostly listen to metal and sent this fun map.
P5Yfzl.png

Then I checked where the bands I listen to most are from (copied from wiki):

• Nightwish is a symphonic metal band from Kitee, Finland.
  • Dark Moor is a Spanish neoclassical metal and symphonic power metal band from Madrid.
  • Aria (Russian: Ария) is a Russian heavy metal band that was formed in 1985 in Moscow.
  • Týr is a Faroese folk metal band.
  • Epica is a Dutch symphonic metal
  • Ancient Bards is an Italian symphonic metal band
  • Sabaton is a Swedish power metal band from Falun.
  • Powerwolf is a German power metal band

I find it interesting how I don't have a single country represented more than once. Also had no idea Ancient Bards were Italian.

Last edited: