BRexit : Shall UK stay in EU or go now?

I remember when I was younger; I got to watch the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic if Ireland all but disappear. I got to see the end of The Troubles, I remember the hope in the news casters' voices as we saw a new era of peace appear before our eyes.

Now it looks like I will live to see that border rebuilt, checkpoints, bombings, and terrorism returning to Ireland. What next, a new Iron Curtain? That certainly seems to be what Putin wants, who would have thought democracy would be used as a weapon...

Trump will show them how to build a great wall, huge.

So many epic jokes... :ROFLMAO:

"Britain is Pompeii, if Pompeii had voted for the volcano"

I remember when I was younger; I got to watch the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic if Ireland all but disappear. I got to see the end of The Troubles, I remember the hope in the news casters' voices as we saw a new era of peace appear before our eyes.

Now it looks like I will live to see that border rebuilt, checkpoints, bombings, and terrorism returning to Ireland. What next, a new Iron Curtain? That certainly seems to be what Putin wants, who would have thought democracy would be used as a weapon...

This kind of thing bugs me. People are still alive from when that was happening, witnessed when it fell, and saw the incredible positive influence it has had on countries. Why would take that away? Not only that, knowing how Putin is operating at the moment, attempt to do something about it? It appears from my view that we're watching this like we're in a movie theater.

Mrs May’s attitude seems to confirm Matthew Parris’s assessment of her as “the Death Star of British politics”:

Well, this is frightening. Matthew Parris on Mrs May, “the Death Star of modern British politics” pic.twitter.com/eMQdeOZZkX
— alan rusbridger (@arusbridger) February 23, 2019

“She’s not normal. She’s extraordinary. Extraordinarily uncommunicative; extraordinarily rude in the way she blanks people, ideas and arguments.”

This much we can see in her announcement and response to the questions on it.

So Mr Parris’s further criticisms ring true:

“Theresa May… is the Death Star of modern British politics. She’s the theory of anti-matter, made flesh. She’s a political black hole because nothing, not even light, can escape. Ideas, beliefs, suggestions, objections, inquiries, proposals, projects, loyalties, affections, trust, whole careers, real men and women, are sucked into the awful void that is Downing Street – and nothing ever comes out: no answers, only a blank so blank that it screams.

“Warnings are delivered to her, and ignored. Plans are run by her, unacknowledged. Messages are sent to her, unanswered. She has become the unperson of Downing Street: the living embodiment of a closed door.”

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019...-delays-next-meaningful-vote-on-brexit-again/

Next 24hrs in the Brexit Shambles are critical.

There will be a series of votes on Tuesday the 21th of March.

Mainly a choice between whats been agreed with the EU and crashing out without a deal at the end of March (accidently on purpose....), which would trigger the NI backstop which would keep the UK in the EU customs union.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...e-of-play-a-guide-to-next-weeks-crucial-votes

I thought the backstop was rejected?

No deal means no backstop. Hard border in Ireland, reboot of Troubles, all that.

Is Kings X still on the table? Can they just say, this was a bad idea and stay with the EU?
Theoretically they can. The EU's legal team said it's well within the UK's right to unilaterally revoke the request to leave.

Sadly, there's the fact that these days, if you repeat a falsehood often enough, it becomes true.

Case in point: Brexiteers claiming that having a second referendum whether people in the UK want to leave the EU under the terms laid out right now (be it May's deal or no deal) or rather stay in would do "irreparable damage to Democracy" because it would mean "having votes until you like the result" and "disrespecting the will of the public".

This obviously is wrong twofold - firstly, because the question asked is different and the situation has changed, and secondly, because Leave won by less than one percentage point, behaving like every single Briton would be personally spat in the face by having a second referendum is laughable.

But sadly, since Brexiteers keep repeating this talking points, a second referendum has been seen as such a toxic idea that the opposition only endorsed it last week. And not it probably is too late for that.

As it looks like right now, our friends in Britain will fuck it up - DUP and ERG (hardcore Tory Brexiters) say they still will not vote for May's deal. This means it's dead in the water.

Now I am pretty sure there is no majority in Commons for No Deal, question is whether there will be one for an article 50 extension.

If not, there will be an accidential hard Brexit.

And I will book my Scotland holiday later this week once the Pound completely crashed.

Theoretically they can. The EU's legal team said it's well within the UK's right to unilaterally revoke the request to leave.

Sadly, there's the fact that these days, if you repeat a falsehood often enough, it becomes true.

Case in point: Brexiteers claiming that having a second referendum whether people in the UK want to leave the EU under the terms laid out right now (be it May's deal or no deal) or rather stay in would do "irreparable damage to Democracy" because it would mean "having votes until you like the result" and "disrespecting the will of the public".

This obviously is wrong twofold - firstly, because the question asked is different and the situation has changed, and secondly, because Leave won by less than one percentage point, behaving like every single Briton would be personally spat in the face by having a second referendum is laughable.

But sadly, since Brexiteers keep repeating this talking points, a second referendum has been seen as such a toxic idea that the opposition only endorsed it last week. And not it probably is too late for that.
The first referendum shouldn't have happened in the first place. I agree with Jon Oliver in this one, elected officials basically shirked their responsibilities here.

Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg is estimated to have earnt £7m from investments since the referendum according to investigation by Channel 4 Dispatches
https://www.channel4.com/press/news...e-earnt-ps7m-investments-referendum-according

Brexit explained
https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit-explained

The Banks Files: Brexit funder urged campaign to “press it harder” after Jo Cox murder
https://www.channel4.com/news/the-b...mpaign-to-press-it-harder-after-jo-cox-murder

MORE POWER!

The sad thing is that right now it looks like Boris Johnson is in the pole position to lead the Tories after May steps down tonight, meaning that he actually managed to gain personally from ruining Britain.

MORE POWER!

The sad thing is that right now it looks like Boris Johnson is in the pole position to lead the Tories after May steps down tonight, meaning that he actually managed to gain personally from ruining Britain.

Last edited: