Road Test: Mercedes S-Class

Overheat

Forum Addict
M-B is displaying two hybrid concept versions of this new S-Class at Frankfurt: they're not for production as yet, but we can bring you the first Road Test of the conventionally-engined new-generation S, larger, safer and ever more high-tech.

read more here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/M/mercedesbenz/s-class05-/s-class-05-.html

05-sclass-f-a.jpg
05-sclass-r3q-a.jpg

05-sclass-f-int.jpg
05-sclass-eng-det.jpg

I want one of these now.

This is getting hard. I was going to get rid of the S-600 for a Bentley Flying Spur...then I was looking at a BMW 750iL...although now I really want the S-500. :?

The S-600 is too much of an overkill with the V12 engine and I get annoyed having to fill it up all the time, the Flying Spur is a bit bland tech wise, the BMW 750iL has an..."interesting" design and I don't think either of my parents would be able to use the iDrive system, and the new S-500 seems nice in all the promo pics but I didn't think much of it when I saw real life pics in the "I saw' thread, plus it is overpriced to start with (as all Merc's are)...let alone when you start adding the cost of the cool toys.

The S600 actually gets really good mileage...The 750 Li is a very good redesigned car, but i would rather get the new S500 right now, i mean look at it.

I've heard the quality has gone back up, and so far i think it has.

(My dad is in the same dilma as you, Flying Spur or the new S500?, i mean the bentley has like a 2 year waiting list unless you get it used)

Janus said:
I want one of these now.

This is getting hard. I was going to get rid of the S-600 for a Bentley Flying Spur...then I was looking at a BMW 750iL...although now I really want the S-500. :?

The S-600 is too much of an overkill with the V12 engine and I get annoyed having to fill it up all the time, the Flying Spur is a bit bland tech wise, the BMW 750iL has an..."interesting" design and I don't think either of my parents would be able to use the iDrive system, and the new S-500 seems nice in all the promo pics but I didn't think much of it when I saw real life pics in the "I saw' thread, plus it is overpriced to start with (as all Merc's are)...let alone when you start adding the cost of the cool toys.

Bentley, BMW and Merc not working for you?
You still have Audi/Lexus/Jag/etc. to look at.

Wow those new engines debuted are something else :thumbsup:
Cant wait for them to reach other models like the CLS and E-Class etc...

All im interested in is the S600. WHAT A CAR :D Designo alcantara leather and designo piano wood for me! This car is for the executives...and people who have lots of money and/or are criminals

FATMOUSE said:
Bentley, BMW and Merc not working for you?
You still have Audi/Lexus/Jag/etc. to look at.

Audi is the only one of those I would even consider. And the A8 still isn't really at the same level as the Bentley or Merc...at least in my mind.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
The S600 actually gets really good mileage

It does...considering the engine in it. I mean when you compare it to other V12 cars such as Ferrari's and Astons, but not when you compare it to other "normal" vehicles. Plus I've driven one for 2 years now and I've well and truely decided that it is overkill. I mean the power is useless in 99% of situation. You can only really use it if you go to Germany, the rest of the time you just touch the pedal and you are flying along and have to slam on the brake to avoid either breaking the speed limit...or slamming into the back of the car in front of you, there is no happy middle ground. I'd much rather get the S-500 which is more managable and have a huge wad of cash in my pocket.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
i mean the bentley has like a 2 year waiting list unless you get it used

It depends how you get one. I believe there is a lengthy list if you get one privately, but if you lease the car, like we do, they usually have orders in the line waiting for someone to ask for it.

Am I the only one that thinks the dashboard is ugly? I like my gauges to be separate from the rest of the dash, and this one-piece design reminds me of some old American car. Everything else about the car is pure perfection, though, and lets hope Mercedes will back it up with the quality they once had..

ARH_twilightblue said:
Am I the only one that thinks the dashboard is ugly? I like my gauges to be separate from the rest of the dash, and this one-piece design reminds me of some old American car. Everything else about the car is pure perfection, though, and lets hope Mercedes will back it up with the quality they once had..

It's not just you - I don't like some of BMW's recent dashboards for the same reason. I understand having the big screen up at that height is safer and less of a distraction to use, I just wish it didn't look like that.

I like the dash of this one alot better then the BMW's. The BMW's interior really annoys me because it has all these buttons and switches and them just a huge empty bit of flat boring wood for the rest of the dash.

I love the dial and the fact that it can all change, like to display the infa-red image from the headlights or dim the middle of the needle for sat nav directions.

fbc said:
ARH_twilightblue said:

It's not just you - I don't like some of BMW's recent dashboards for the same reason. I understand having the big screen up at that height is safer and less of a distraction to use, I just wish it didn't look like that.
Same here; it looks like a bad rendition of the Sydney Opera House. Where is it written that all German cars period need to come standard with onboard HALs, some VWs notwithstanding? What if I just want to drive the car and listen to music without having to go through a lengthy training session beforehand? I would gladly trade some velvet-lined cubbyholes for extra buttons if I can change tracks on a Led Zeppelin (oh, wait, this is a German car, I mean Rammstein) CD without having to scroll through menus after menus. I may be exaggerating.

Ask the people that have the Maybachs,i mean its just a smaller version

But the people who own Maybach's have no idea how you park them....that is what the slave up the front is for.

And to be honest most people I know with Maybach's either park them off the street (which costs a fortune) or if they can't find a park right where they want to go they just illegally park. Either the driver will move the car if an ticket person comes along or they just plain don't care, they can afford the fine.

I just took a look at the new S550 (I see many people calling it 500 or 550, i dont know if its two different models or just they are adding the 50 for the US market) and it looked great. The rear i don?t like, too much BMW.
But at the end of the day, i still love my new 06 S500. I must say one thing that really added to the look of the car was the AMG Kit.
The V12 is nice, but, with the gas guzzler tax and the lower MPG is not that great idea.

Bentley, yeah looks nice and but i don?t want to pay extra for a VW, i already own one. Also, no DVD Nav! WTF was VW thinking? I used to own a Jaguar and the local dealer for her was also a Bentley, Lambo, Lotus, Range Rover and Qvale* (??? Someone needs to look this company up). Anyways, i sat in the GT, and too much was like my VW Passat. Just a turn off, tho the motor and the company history where BIG plus.
BMW 750iL did nothing for me in terms of look, also the local dealer assumed i could not afford one so he pissed me off and took my money else where.
Audi was great, but they still dont have the image. You see an MB S Class you know it means something. I just, could not bring myself towards it. I felt closer to the BMW then the Audi as a close runner up to the MB. At lest in the BMW, what i lost in class and looks i gained in how it drives and made the big beast handle.
Jaguar, did i mention i was a Jaguar owner? I WILL NEVER OWN A JAGUAR ! XJ8 is a great car, i drove one and i just loved it! The look is right on i think, the ride is also there, over all a great car. But, its a Jaguar, and the problems i had with the S Type (I hope i dont have a thing for cars with S in there name...) drove me up the wall. I swear when i traded that car in, i spent more time in the dealer then on the road.
But one thing, when i got that S Type my neighbor came out of his house to see the car, got his dad to show my car and his wife. You dont see many Jags, and they still have that presence.

EDIT:
*Well i just did look them up, its actually the car made by the owner of the dealer the Qvale Family (DUH!). I swear i was a customer there for so long and never knew that. I should swing by and get a test drive for kicks. If anyone wants a website here it is: http://www.qvaleauto.com/

But the people who own Maybach's have no idea how you park them....that is what the slave up the front is for.

Good one Janus! :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: Usually if you have a Rolls-Royce or Maybach 62 or LWB S-Class, 7-Series or A8 you are not driving it but being driven in it. It would make no sense to buy a Maybach 62 and be the only dumbass driving in it. That would smell of "nouveau riche". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_riche ;)

Zuhaib said:
I just took a look at the new S550 (I see many people calling it 500 or 550, i dont know if its two different models or just they are adding the 50 for the US market) and it looked great.
For those who can't wait til its officially out in the States, they can get their hands onto it with the ageing 5.0L engine. The 5.5L debuts next year 8)

You also mentioned the V12. Well as awesome as it is, it is impracticle for city driving as one of our members who has one said. Just tap the accelerator and you go launching. I can understand that with all that power under the bonnet. If you have an S600, you should have a driver I think.