Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Thanks.
I’ve looked into them way too expensive :(

You may find that the price for an offroad bumper is close to the price of replacing the front bumper with stock and repainting to match.

You may find that the price for an offroad bumper is close to the price of replacing the front bumper with stock and repainting to match.
Xterra bumpers aren’t painted so it’s $280 for one from Nissan or $150 from RockAuto for a certified aftermarket one. Cheapest off road bumper I found is around a grand with a powder coat, or $850-900 without.
Fender is gonna be $600 or so, since the whole thing would need to be painted.

Mobile web didn’t work well so pic is next post...

As for the ABS according to my mechanic it complained about the actuator valve which is an $1100 part, explains why he didn’t wanna replace the part and see if it works out.
Pic of damage:

The other reason to go with a steel bumper is to protect the body from damage like that.

The other reason to go with a steel bumper is to protect the body from damage like that.
I don’t disagree with you, but it’s just too expensive to justify considering this is a kid hauler that pretty much never leaves pavement. The most off roading it has ever seen was parking in a gravel lot.

If I had the funds I’d do iron bull rear and front bumpers along with a bedliner paint, just so I pretty much never had to give a shit about possible scratches/dings.

If I had the funds I’d do iron bull rear and front bumpers along with a bedliner paint, just so I pretty much never had to give a shit about possible scratches/dings.
In college my friend had a Tacoma that he took off-roading a lot so it had steel bumpers and steel rock sliders along the sides of the truck. One time someone parked next to him and opened their door into his. The rock sliders took all of the impact so zero damage to his truck and the other car had a massive dent.

I need to get myself a rear facing camera. Was in stop-and-go traffic on my way into work this morning - started watching the KL Cherokee behind me after seeing her really close in my mirrors 2 or 3 times. In about 4 miles, I didn't see her look up from her phone once. Judging by how hard she was braking and the distance between us when stopped, I don't think she was using adaptive cruise control (not that it would be better if she was).

Meh, it’s her insurance...

And my insurance since MI is a no-fault state. Having dashcam footage of her on her phone will at least make there be very little doubt for the officer to list her as 100% at fault on the report which in turn will help my insurance company at least recover my deductible from her's. The video may also help minimize how much my rate goes up by. And also could be used to nail her for more penalties which hopefully would make her think twice before using her phone behind the wheel again....

And my insurance since MI is a no-fault state. Having dashcam footage of her on her phone will at least make there be very little doubt for the officer to list her as 100% at fault on the report which in turn will help my insurance company at least recover my deductible from her's. The video may also help minimize how much my rate goes up by. And also could be used to nail her for more penalties which hopefully would make her think twice before using her phone behind the wheel again....
NY is technically no fault but in reality the insurance company would put the fault on the rear ender, not rear endee.

NY is technically no fault but in reality the insurance company would put the fault on the rear ender, not rear endee.
People treat that as a given, that no matter what the person doing the rear-ending is automatically at fault. Having worked in auto insurance for 6yrs, I can tell you that that's not always the case.

Meh, it’s her insurance...

Nope, not even close. The cost of any accident is spread across all the insured people. Not to mention the decreased value of the car/s she would have hit. Then there is the damage to the people involved. Some of that is never able to be repaired.

Nissan's VIN lookup is a rather interesting thing. I ordered an axle seal from Courtesy Nissan down in Spectre country. They ask to provide a VIN number when you are ordering to make sure that the order is correct. Today I get an e-mail telling me that I am trying to buy the wrong part because that part is only for the locking rear diff. So I call them up and ask if they are sure since I have Pro-4X, with a locking diff. The guy agrees that it is odd because it actually comes up as "Off-road", which is the trim level that became "Pro-4X". I had a similar strangeness with my Z that always came up as a base model despite clearly not being such...

Nope, not even close. The cost of any accident is spread across all the insured people. Not to mention the decreased value of the car/s she would have hit. Then there is the damage to the people involved. Some of that is never able to be repaired.
That still won't be stopped by a rear facing camera, really the only thing it would do is make it easy to prove that the person behind you was an idiot.

Surprised no one mentioned this today.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/04/g...out-of-the-english-language-website-business/

Gizmodo and like have been sold... for a fraction of their previous worth.

EDIT: I put it here because of Gizmodo’s relationship to the automobile.... in that they hate it (raise your hand, Alyssa Walker).

I think nobody posted it because Gizmodo rendered themselves totally irrelevant.

I forsee massive housecleaning. Good riddance to their staff.

Edit: Unrelated, I saw this on the way home from the Mitsubishi Dismemberment I was participating in and thought it was a rather original take on the rear wiper. :D

IMG_1549.JPG

I think nobody posted it because Gizmodo rendered themselves totally irrelevant.

I forsee massive housecleaning. Good riddance to their staff.

Edit: Unrelated, I saw this on the way home from the Mitsubishi Dismemberment I was participating in and thought it was a rather original take on the rear wiper. :D

View attachment 3555347
I've seen around here a better (?) version:
qhkd1499925909.jpg

There are are colors of cat too. :D