Ownership Verified: My 2015 911 Turbo Beetle

Have had a decent amount of seat time in a 991.1 GT3. Even in normal mode I found the pedal progression, balance and shift schedule really well defined and sport mode was a big enough step up from normal. Granted I've never driven a non GT3 991, but too many other hi-perf cars I've driven don't have enough of a differentiation between the modes.

Have had a decent amount of seat time in a 991.1 GT3. Even in normal mode I found the pedal progression, balance and shift schedule really well defined and sport mode was a big enough step up from normal. Granted I've never driven a non GT3 991, but too many other hi-perf cars I've driven don't have enough of a differentiation between the modes.

With PDK equipped 911s, the Sport + mode has the most aggressive shift programming, throttle response may be a little more aggressive. Also the 7 speed box will behave more like a shorter geared 6 speed box and never go into 7th gear and hang in lower gears for much longer until red line.

With manual equipped 911s Sport + engages the auto rev match mode when shifting, again throttle is a little more aggressive than regular sport.

On my Turbo, non sport mode is blah and basically for boring freeway cruising or slow traffic, where auto engine start/stop will be activated (can be disable) for stop n go traffic. Sport mode is basically how the car should drive by default, responsive and spirited throttle, more aggressive PDK shift programming than base. Sport + turns the car into a scary monster with very sensitive throttle reponse, super aggressive gear shifting and exhaust will pop and crackle as well.

I love them all except for that Techart 996.

Yep that Techart body kit was a bit bleah, probably the worst of the early 00s style body kits (or anything Mansory) and it looked badly installed as well.

Brilliant cars! Do you know if that yellow 993 is a GT2? Or an RSR like the blue one? Is the RSR even a real RSR or is it just the badge? :D

And FLACHT6 as a numberplate is pretty damn cool.

Brilliant cars! Do you know if that yellow 993 is a GT2? Or an RSR like the blue one? Is the RSR even a real RSR or is it just the badge? :D

And FLACHT6 as a numberplate is pretty damn cool.

Looks like a GT2, but no bolt on rear fender hips, so not sure.

I took the Turbo to Willow Springs over the weekend. Great weather and track conditions. it was my 2nd time there but I still drove like a total n00b.

First time was in the Cayman was which over 200hp down from my current car, so driving the Turbo in the straights was stupid fast, but in the turns I could definitely feel the 300-400 lb weight penalty of this car compared to the lighter and more neutral handling Cayman when i last drove the track. Plus my Turbo seats are less well bolstered than the old car so it took more work to stay in my seat in the tight corners.

I didn't crash or off my car on the track which was a plus but came close to spinning out a few times, I will assume the AWD helped to save my ass.

DSC03466 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

DSC03605 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

I didn't have an on board setup to record video unfortunately but I used the Sport Chrono lap timer to record a fastest lap of 1:48 which was...absolutely mediocre.

Professional track photos pending.