Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

MDJOb0C.jpg

I am the sodding owner!

At-home crates for dogs that size aren't this damned big.
Some airlines and even some countries have rules about crate sizes. My brother had to get a massive one for his dog, the rules stated the dog had to be able to sit without touching the top, turn around, and lay down. My brother had a German Shepherd, if his ears hit the top of the crate while sitting, it was not acceptable.

Some airlines and even some countries have rules about crate sizes. My brother had to get a massive one for his dog, the rules stated the dog had to be able to sit without touching the top, turn around, and lay down. My brother had a German Shepherd, if his ears hit the top of the crate while sitting, it was not acceptable.

Thanks for reminding me - some states and even localities have laws about that as well.

Example - New York: https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/AI/small_animals/minimum_space_require_for_dogs.pdf

I believe that while California has no laws about it that I know of, LA County (where @EyeMWing proposes to operate) actually has a similar cage law - section 53.60-something? LA County's code website is down at this writing so I couldn't go look it up. It's an issue I've been looking back into over the past couple of years as my family has been slowly evacuating the LA area and transportation of animals has become an issue for them again. When I got a cat from them almost 15 years ago, they had to get a gigantic crate to ship him by air from LA. Little guy looked lost in it.

Last edited:
As is normal for us gear heads I have been bitten by the "I want a new car" bug, mainly I am sort of considering replacing the wholly unnecessary off-roader with a wagon of some sort, problem is literally no one makes fucking wagons in the US anymore.

Has to be a manual, has to have AWD (even if part time) and want some amount of power. Closest that comes to that is a VW all road but it's I already had a VAG product and never again. Impreza wagon woulda been perfect if the fucking thing came in WRX trim, which of course it fucking didn't. CST-V would be amazeballs but it only drives the rear wheels, great for hooning, not so good for snowing.

As is normal for us gear heads I have been bitten by the "I want a new car" bug, mainly I am sort of considering replacing the wholly unnecessary off-roader with a wagon of some sort, problem is literally no one makes fucking wagons in the US anymore.

Has to be a manual, has to have AWD (even if part time) and want some amount of power. Closest that comes to that is a VW all road but it's I already had a VAG product and never again. Impreza wagon woulda been perfect if the fucking thing came in WRX trim, which of course it fucking didn't. CST-V would be amazeballs but it only drives the rear wheels, great for hooning, not so good for snowing.

About nobody makes/imports wagons to the US because for the past decade every time they do, about nobody buys them - despite all the gearhead claims that they will.

Manuals being on the way out in the market as well, I'm not sure you're going to find a good candidate that meets all three requirements.

Last edited:

Buick Regal Tour X. It’s not manual trans but has the other stuff. Can you still get a 3 series estate?

Just this morning I was trying to get Gena to agree to a Crosstrek, but it would have to be a, dun, dun, dun... CVT for her to drive it. She declined, for whatever reason.

Buick Regal Tour X. It’s not manual trans but has the other stuff. Can you still get a 3 series estate?
If it's not a manual I won't even bother looking at it, no more 3 series estates also I wouldn't buy a Beemer, maybe lease.
Just this morning I was trying to get Gena to agree to a Crosstrek, but it would have to be a, dun, dun, dun... CVT for her to drive it. She declined, for whatever reason.
Crosstrek sux, they don't make a turbo version and N/A is fucking gutless.

Outback still offered as a manual?

It also is so underpowered that it can't get out of its own way.

Nein, Impreza/WRX/STi is and maybe be crosstrek, They drooped it in the Forester either last or this year. Outback hadn’t had a manual for at least 5 years now
God I hope they improved the auto by a lot then because the one on mom's '10 outback is worse then the beetle's despite being 7 years newer and a subaru. Really jerky and clunky.

Does it have to be a wagon? You might be able to find an SS sedan in stick.