Sacramento County Says It's Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage

OK so here is another example of similar BS. My son's school, effective from next semester, has banned pupils from using phones as well as tablets and portable music players of any description at any point during the normal school day anywhere on the school premises. Their reasoning is "so that students actually interact with each other during their free time and don't disrupt lessons."

Real bullshit reason hidden in the smaller print lower down? If kids can't use their devices during school hours then any abuse or bullying they receive from fellow pupils is only happening outside of school hours and the school can wash their hands of any responsibility for that behaviour. As parents we have now been advised to report any instances of that behaviour to the Police.

OK so here is another example of similar BS. My son's school, effective from next semester, has banned pupils from using phones as well as tablets and portable music players of any description at any point during the normal school day anywhere on the school premises. Their reasoning is "so that students actually interact with each other during their free time and don't disrupt lessons."

Real bullshit reason hidden in the smaller print lower down? If kids can't use their devices during school hours then any abuse or bullying they receive from fellow pupils is only happening outside of school hours and the school can wash their hands of any responsibility for that behaviour. As parents we have now been advised to report any instances of that behaviour to the Police.

So your son's school wants their pupils to be technology-disadvantaged and force them to use ancient printed materials that cost you lots of money and are easily lost?

Sounds like a very regressive school that is harmful to kids.

Since you want to take it political....

You should know that CA is now a de facto one-party government state (only Democrats in statewide office, only a few token Republicans in state legislature and there aren't enough of them to do anything ), and I don't recall the current Sacramento City or County government being significantly different than this.

At the state level in CA there is essentially ONLY the Left. Same thing at the city and county level in most major cities and counties in CA.

So, please explain how it's not the Left responsible for this when the government is de facto by the Left?

Edit: In fact, let's go through the list of elected officials responsible for this travesty.

Sacramento County's Elected Board Of Supervisors:
http://www.saccounty.net/Government/Pages/ElectedOfficials.aspx

District 1 Supervisor
Phil Serna
https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Phil+Serna

Money to Candidates SERNA, PHIL
SACRAMENTO, CA 95835 SACRAMENTO COUNTY 09-27-2012 $1,000.00 Obama, Barack (D)
Money to PACs SERNA, PHIL
SACRAMENTO, CA 95835 PHIL SERNA 03-03-2011 $300.00 Harry S. Truman Club

So, he's a Democrat and by definition a Leftist.

District 2 Supervisor
Patrick Kennedy
https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Patrick+Kennedy

Money to Candidates KENNEDY, PATRICK
SACRAMENTO, CA 95822 SACRAMENTO COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 05-22-2016 $250.00 Clinton, Hillary (D)

Money to Candidates KENNEDY, PATRICK
SACRAMENTO, CA 95822 SACRAMENTO COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 05-20-2016 $50.00 Clinton, Hillary (D)

Also Democrat. Also Leftist.

District 3 Supervisor
Susan Peters
Money to Candidates PETERS, SUSAN
SACRAMENTO, CA 95864 SACRAMENTO COUNTY 09-28-2012 $750.00 Lungren, Dan (R)

Money to Candidates PETERS, SUSAN
SACRAMENTO, CA 95864 MCCUEN PROPERTIES 09-30-1999 $1,000.00 Ose, Doug (R)

Money to PACs PETERS, SUSAN
SACRAMENTO, CA 95864 MCCUEN PROPERTIES 10-27-1995 $500.00 Republican Network to Elect Women

This lady is one of two token Republicans on the board. So far, she's outnumbered 2-1.

District 4 Supervisor
Sue Frost

Money to Candidates FROST, SUE
CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA 95610 SACRAMENTO COUNTY 06-30-2018 $250.00 Grant, Andrew (R)

Money to Parties SUE FROST FOR SUPERVISOR 2020
CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA 95610 01-21-2017 $195.00 Republican Party of California (R)

This is the other token Republican. 2-2, right? Should be fair, right?

District 5 Supervisor
Don Nottoli

This guy's made no recent contributions that opensecrets can find, buuuut:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Nottoli

Also: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article213261714.html

So, yup, Democrat and Left.

The Democrats and therefore the Left has control over Sacramento County, 3-2,. And there's no tactics like filibustering or requiring supermajorities that the Republicans can use to stop anything at that level. So, if the Left is not responsible for this ordinance (which was not adopted by voter referendum), who is? This guy?

7MZYBRWHFFBVPF2UFOLIJUPQN4.jpg

While all the individual citations are true, I don't agree with your conclusion - there are a number of states that are dominated by one party or the other with little or no opposition. Utah is one of them with only a token number of Democrats and national voting districts that are gerrymandered all to hell. Many of the western and mountain states are in a similar situation. Maine is the opposite, being mostly Democrats with only a few Republicans and also gerrymandered to hell in favor of the Democrats.

So your son's school wants their pupils to be technology-disadvantaged and force them to use ancient printed materials that cost you lots of money and are easily lost?

Sounds like a very regressive school that is harmful to kids.

Nope, but the headteacher is a Draconian fuckwit pen pusher whose official communications include frequent abuses of the reflexive pronouns.

So are republicans that don't want you to get abortions and claim that your egg and semen cocktail belongs to them also communist?

So are republicans that don't want you to get abortions and claim that you egg and semen cocktail belongs to them also communist?

Nope, but then you can say, completely factually, that some Republicans are responsible for that. My point is that since at least three Leftists are, in point of fact, responsible for this travesty of a regulation, it's not "mindless hating of "the left"" as DrGrip claims.

Nope, but the headteacher is a Draconian fuckwit pen pusher whose official communications include frequent abuses of the reflexive pronouns.

So in other words, yes, it is.

So in other words, yes, it is.

The standard of the actual teaching is very good for a UK state school but unfortunately due to the cachement area many of the pupils are complete oiks. The current head is credited with taking it from being a failing school to one with above average grades for the country and the local demographic, I just can't stand the woman.

This thread is a prime example of why it's so difficult for the FinalGear forums to attract new members.

This thread is a prime example of why it's so difficult for the FinalGear forums to attract new members.
Or maybe it will attract the right kind of member.

No it isn't. Forums as a concept are dying on their arses right across the internet thanks to other platforms.

No it isn't. Forums as a concept are dying on their arses right across the internet thanks to other platforms.

This isn’t helping...

This isn’t helping...

Rubbish. As a platform for discussion FinalGear is about the most civilised place on the internet. Just because a bunch of people are disagreeing about a subject doesn't make it a bad place to be. Plus I can hardly imagine that this thread is the first one any new member is going to land on when they register.

If you look back at the origin of the word and its concept, the forum in ancient times was a place where folk could gather to discuss and debate various topics.

As I said, online forums are an endangered species, this one included sadly - you only have to look at the amount of activity, or lack thereof, concerning the current series of Top Gear to see that.

Fortunately we have a hard core of long standing (around doing nothing) members who will probably still be here for decades to come. I for one intend still to be attending Ringmeet when I'm drawing my pension and that's still 20 years or more away.

Both our sentences don't exactly contradict themselves, you're right aswell.

The unfortunate truth is the politicization of cars means you're fucked if you're left and want to talk about cars. Haven't you heard? Cars are for rich conservatives REAL leftists take the bus and can't drive! For me I ended up drifting back here because if I asked myself "where to go to talk cars" there's only one answer. The fact it was actually an option after like a decade is honestly kind of surreal.

I am not exactly pleased with the political skewing of this site, but at the same time it has actual moderation. Do you know how much I have missed moderation? I can tell which arguments can't be won, and will just ignore it. Try to ignore the politics forum entirely. It's still better then arguing it with my mother. At least there won't be death threats.

Anyway I don't think this is communism. Communism would be more the government owns all the shops and they all charge the same thing I think.

Everyone is waaay to overly focused on the "team" they are on being better then what politicians are actually doing, and if people actually support it. I was on tumblr 10 years, I should know something about focusing too much on labels. Why did this devolve into a huge right vs left argument? Like seriously. Guys. This is silly. No one likes this law why is there even an argument? Is anyone here even a communist? I don't think that the forum itself is toxic but this thread is a weird choice for a political argument.

This law probably is a thing because California is stupid and chased out most enthusiasts out, and the average person who can't even drive a manual never mind change their oil in their convoluted hybrid was uneffect. Did the Democrats do it? Probably, it's a blue state and that is a very "green" answer. But I seriously doubt anyone asked for it and it likely was somehow financially motivated.

Believe it or not, given this hits poor people the hardest, I could actually easily convince most leftists I know to vote against this shit. I have for the record seen tumblr posts rallying for right to repair causes. There are a lot of things that I will absolutely not budge on wrt politics, but those are human rights issues. Car stuff? Oh there is plenty of room for debate there. And I need the car defense ammo for when I do have to justify cars existing to people who really do hate them that much.