2019 F1 Season thread

1 BOT
2 LEC
3 VET
4 HAM

pls

Vettel had issues with the car which meant he wasn't in Q3 altogether. Leclerc got a pole position followed by Hamilton who may or may not get a 3 place grid penalty though will still be no doubt too far away from where Vettel starts. It would be good for Bottas though who is 4th after being out-qualified by Max Verstappen.

Vettel had issues with the car which meant he wasn't in Q3 altogether. Leclerc got a pole position followed by Hamilton who may or may not get a 3 place grid penalty though will still be no doubt too far away from where Vettel starts. It would be good for Bottas though who is 4th after being out-qualified by Max Verstappen.

Yep, Hamilton penalized down to 4th, which means Leclerc and Verstappen share the front row. That could make for an interesting first lap!

Last edited:
so i guess we're up for another ear of domination before the 11-wins-in-a-row can get beaten
but i liked the race, with the different starting tyres there was doubt from the beginning if ferrari would be able to make the distance or that merc would jump them during the pitstops...

...and then a little monkey called max dicides to come play and win the thing, whoever put money on that, made some serious profit!

france? what france? i don't remember a race in france?

I remember a Free Practice 4 in France.

That was a pretty exciting race. Very happy for Honda. Seeing the emotion on Toyoharu Tanabe's face on the podium said it all.

But the move Max made on Leclerc to get the lead was a bit annoying after Canada. According to the stewards, it's okay to punt another driver off the track if you're attacking, but not if you're defending. Apparently that is supposed to make sense. We all knew Max was going to win that race, and the battle up to that point was amazing, but with that contact the battle was immediately over. Max roared off with his DRS wide open and by the time Leclrec got back into the grove, the gap was over a second. Shame. It would have nice to see that wheel to wheel battle continue for another lap or two, before the inevitable pass was made.

Most interesting race this season. Max's drive was truly amazing.

That was a pretty exciting race. Very happy for Honda. Seeing the emotion on Toyoharu Tanabe's face on the podium said it all.

But the move Max made on Leclerc to get the lead was a bit annoying after Canada. According to the stewards, it's okay to punt another driver off the track if you're attacking, but not if you're defending. Apparently that is supposed to make sense. We all knew Max was going to win that race, and the battle up to that point was amazing, but with that contact the battle was immediately over. Max roared off with his DRS wide open and by the time Leclrec got back into the grove, the gap was over a second. Shame. It would have nice to see that wheel to wheel battle continue for another lap or two, before the inevitable pass was made.

I agree with his. I think VER did a Rosberg-like turn-in, which is a bit of a shame. He would've gotten past anyway.

But hey, racing is racing, banting is banting, punting is punting ...

Reactions: TC
A Honda engine has won a race before a Ferrari engine this season.

What the fuck I can't even.

When I saw that tweet, it smacked of no forewarning to Haas, especially considering Haas F1 had no prepared response, and did not post an emergency one soon after. Now it's coming out that Rich Energy investors were not on board with cutting the sponsorship, and it seems that the tweet was sent out by the CEO without consulting the board of investors.

If all the above is true, then I give lots of credit to Haas F1 across the board for their handling of what could have become an incredibly convoluted he-said-he said fistfight. If the above is true, additionally, I imagine the Rich Energy CEO will not be holding that title for much longer. Never piss off your board of directors or investors.

Citing my sources:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144709/rich-energy-investors-trying-to-salvage-haas-deal
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144715/urprised-haas-to-keep-livery-for-british-gp

There's something major going on behind the scenes if even Gunther is being "nice" about the whole thing. I imagine the cancellation penalty on this contract is quite severe in terms of payment from Rich Energy, and Haas figures that it will play far better in a court of law, if it comes to that, if they keep up appearances while Rich Energy looks completely incompetent as they tweet out that a deal is cancelled when it is not, et cetera.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm guessing the CEO has control of the Twitter account, but no support from anybody else. I use Tweetbot, which reports clients used to post the Tweet, and both that and the previous Tweet were posted from Twitter for Android, not a social media platform like Hootsuite or some such.

Vettel sounded really deflated after the race, went over to Verstappen to apologise and then accepted responsibility in the paddock. It was a reasonably promising race for him though it didn't look as though he had any chance of gaining points on Bottas and Hamilton this weekend.
Ferrari have definitely been caught by Red Bull at this point but it should be interesting to watch Charles battle with Max for the remainder of the season because they aren't going to be battling with Mercedes. I was watching the gap after the safety car and it went from DRS range to 3 seconds within the first lap when they were let go. Maybe they should have put Vettel on the medium tire and tried to make that go until the end cause they were pretty crap on the hard tire.

Red Bull Racing make a tough car.

There was quite a lot of action in that race for sure, and the safety car did mix things up, but not in a good way imo. Still, congrats to Lewis for winning at home.

for the one time a race doesn't need a safety car...

it was all action and excitement before, but became pretty dreary afterwards, good thing vettel managed to fuck up again and inject some adrenaline
sucks for bottas, but hamilton was glued to his back, bottas never managed to get close after the safetycar

and what were they doing at mercedes, calling lewis in 5 laps from the end? while leading?
it's his home race, he doesn't care about the points on this one (especially not the 1 point for fastest lap), it's all about the victory!

and what were they doing at mercedes, calling lewis in 5 laps from the end? while leading?
it's his home race, he doesn't care about the points on this one (especially not the 1 point for fastest lap), it's all about the victory!

They were paranoid that a late safety car could take their win away, I think Hamilton was more concerned with wether or not he'd come back out again ahead of Bottas.

their win

It would have been a Mercedes victory anyway, but ... oh, I forgot, Bottas' victories don't count for Toto. They're just the annoying result of having to have a driver that's good enough to shield other teams off Hamilton's back...

Anyway, was there a reason why a late safety car could have come out?