Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Asteroids

X300 monoblocks

The monoblock style definitely takes the right car to pull them off.

So I’ve been thinking about selling the Jaaags to make room for another fun car in the next year or so because the Bank of YOLO requires another YOLO.

Thus far my test drive list looks like this:

987 (preference for a .2)
C5/C6 Z06
C7 Z51
Challenger SRT 392
Old Mopar stuff (hopefully a 440 4 speed ‘70 Roadrunner)
S550 or S197 GT500 Mustang

I’ve found out that there are credit unions that will finance even old muscle cars, so that’s a dangerous possibility.

Am I alone in thinking that the Asteroids look completely out of place on an XJS?

From all the wheels posted, I only like the way Monoblocks fit. Mabye 16" XJ8 ones as well. But all the other wheels seem too modern, large or both for the XJS' 70's body.

Am I alone in thinking that the Asteroids look completely out of place on an XJS?

I'd have to agree with you on that one.

A friend of mine is most likely going to sell his C5Z Commemorative Edition if you're actually interested.

Hmmm...post-Ringmeet, I’m planning on doing some test drives to narrow down the list, I’ll let you know. I think for the C5 it’ll be whether I can stomach that interior.

Clearly the answer is peak-80s gold wheels

deeqQ99.png

kz3tBI5.png

Last edited:
Could go for turbofan style wheels.....

CEANsW9.png

.... but you'd need the full Lister widebody kit

Not a fan of those wheels, but I'd deal with them to have that body.

What about the Rouge Collection?

View attachment 3555850
Clearly the answer is peak-80s gold wheels

deeqQ99.png

kz3tBI5.png

Those are literally all variants of the base Sport Lattice wheel. That wheel was available in silver and gold finishes as well as color matched to the body. Yes, you could also have them in black, white or British Racing Green versions to name the ones I've personally seen.

Not a fan of those wheels, but I'd deal with them to have that body.

You can still get that - Lister America's stuff has devolved upon a guy's shop in Oklahoma ("Captain Jaguar's Cathouse," I kid you not) and IIRC the guy still has the Lister body kits. Add in an XJS and you're all set.

Unfortunately, I have limited garage space that is currently full of motorcycles and workshop - and limited money for toys that is already allocated.

I need one of those new houses with a three-car wide garage and a tandem in one of the bays. Then I might get all my crap inside for once.

Those are literally all variants of the base Sport Lattice wheel. That wheel was available in silver and gold finishes as well as color matched to the body. Yes, you could also have them in black, white or British Racing Green versions to name the ones I've personally seen.

I didn't say they weren't, merely implied that the wheels need to be gold.

From all the wheels posted, I only like the way Monoblocks fit. Mabye 16" XJ8 ones as well. But all the other wheels seem too modern, large or both for the XJS' 70's body.
I'd have to agree with you on that one.
Same here; the XJS has that Jaguar trait of looking like it's on tiptoe if there isn't enough tire around the wheel. I'm alright with the lattice wheels but they feel like the easy way out, same with the 5-spoke starfishes.