Visting Croatia in September

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I'll be in Croatia for the first week of September if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Which part(s) of Croatia are you planning to visit? I can try and give you tips for visiting the places you're planning to visit, especially if you're planning to visit Zagreb.

I know it's awkward for me to be interested in a meeting considering I'm a neophyte here, but my classes don't start until the first week of October, and I can easily get a day off the first week of September, as the things currently stand. We don't know each other, but if there's some sort of a mini-meet or something, you can colour me interested.

Not awkward at all. I'll be flying into Zagreb on the 30th, so we could meet up on Saturday or Sunday. I'll be flying back on the morning of the 8th, so the 7th will work as well.

Don't worry, I've yet to murder any of the forum members here I've met in person. Although I did joyride Der Stig's Jaguar. :p

Okay, both weekends work perfectly fine for me, especially since I don't work during the weekends. Let's see if anyone else from these parts is interested in a meet.

Excusez-moi for double-posting, but the first weekend of your visit is approaching. Did you hear from anyone else? The first weekend would work better for me, however, my schedule is pretty flexible and open as the things currently stand, so 7th would work for me as well.

Did you have any plans for the weekend you're staying in Zagreb? Any places you'd like to visit, activities you'd like to do?

Itinerary wise, I'll be in Croatia from the 31st to the 7th. Nothing is set in stone, but I'll be heading out to Gorski Kotar some time after Zagreb then work my way down the coast or head in-land to the Plitvice Lakes. Then back to Zagreb for a day before flying out on the 8th.

If you want to meet up and show me grandness that is Zagreb, that would be great.

Hey, I don't check the forums regularly, I could work something out for the 31st maybe, cant make it on the 7th.
Also, there's a coupe of us who meet up here and there, @IceBone , @nicjasno and Igor (don't know his nick)
Argatoga, would be fun to meet, since we're old members here, and would be nice to meet Tram, too.
Also, if you're rent a car-ing I can give you some good driving roads tips.

Itinerary wise, I'll be in Croatia from the 31st to the 7th. Nothing is set in stone, but I'll be heading out to Gorski Kotar some time after Zagreb then work my way down the coast or head in-land to the Plitvice Lakes. Then back to Zagreb for a day before flying out on the 8th.

If you want to meet up and show me grandness that is Zagreb, that would be great.

I can show you the grandeur of Zagreb, of course, and I'm in favour of meeting the other members as well. The more, the merrier, as long as there's not too many of us, right? :D

I can borrow my dad's Saxo, or even his Yugo (if you want to see that greatness to complete the experience :LOL:) if there's some driving to be done. Mind you, for sightseeing in Zagreb, I definitely don't recommend driving, walking is the way to go, along with public transport. The parking is expensive and extremely difficult to find, the traffic is appalling (especially if you get stuck in a junction during a red light), and public transportation is cheap and quite efficient.

Also, which places in Gorski Kotar are you visiting? My grandpa is from there, and it's on my way to the seaside, so I know the roads fairly well, and can recommend you some if you're renting a car.

I can borrow my dad's Saxo, or even his Yugo (if you want to see that greatness to complete the experience :LOL:) if there's some driving to be done. Mind you, for sightseeing in Zagreb, I definitely don't recommend driving, walking is the way to go, along with public transport. The parking is expensive and extremely difficult to find, the traffic is appalling (especially if you get stuck in a junction during a red light), and public transportation is cheap and quite efficient.

I vote for Yugo, even when I'm not attending! :mrgreen:

There is no reason why you can't do both. Head from Zagreb early down to Karlovac, stop off for a bite of breakfast there, carry on to Plitvice and check out the lakes and the waterfalls, then continue south to Korenica where you hang a right. One great piece of road takes you over some hills as far as Gospic (Pizzeria Tomislav here does great cevapi for a late lunch) and if you follow the road west another great piece of road takes you over more mountains and down to the coast at Karlobag. Hang a right there and you have 65 miles of stunning Adriatic coast road to Rijeka where you can pick up the highway back to Zagreb.

@IceBone and @nicjasno can testify this is a great route.

Last edited:
There is no reason why you can't do both. Head from Zagreb early down to Karlovac, stop off for a bite of breakfast there, carry on to Plitvice and check out the lakes and the waterfalls, then continue south to Korenica where you hang a right. One great piece of road takes you over some hills as far as Gospic (Pizzeria Tomislav here does great cevapi for a late lunch) and if you follow the road west another great piece of road takes you over more mountains and down to the cost at Karlobag. Hang a right there and you have 65 miles of stunning Adriatic coast road to Rijeka where you can pick up the highway back to Zagreb.

@IceBone and @nicjasno can testify this is a great route.
well, there you go, what he said. Saved me from typing :LOL:
just to add though, if there's time, don't take the highway back to Zagreb, but rather the normal road, which is also awesome and goes through Gorski Kotar. regarding the speed limit, you're fairly safe with 10-20 over in most areas, especially goes for unpopulated areas, we usually do more there. You never know if there's a police patrol but for instance, I've never seen one on the way from Korenica to Karlobag.

also, as Ice said, can't recommend a BMW if the roads are wet heh

Oops, didn't realise that route is where the E30 met it's terrible fate, sorry.

And I should have said Rastoke for breakfast, because very purdy. It's not far south from Karlovac.

rastoke-bridge.jpg

well, there you go, what he said. Saved me from typing :LOL:
just to add though, if there's time, don't take the highway back to Zagreb, but rather the normal road, which is also awesome and goes through Gorski Kotar. regarding the speed limit, you're fairly safe with 10-20 over in most areas, especially goes for unpopulated areas, we usually do more there. You never know if there's a police patrol but for instance, I've never seen one on the way from Korenica to Karlobag.

also, as Ice said, can't recommend a BMW if the roads are wet heh

Don't drive bridgestone potenza r002 adrenalin tires in the rain.

If you want to stop for breakfast in Karlovac, I can recommend you places, since it's my home town.

I can recommend Rastoke as well, been there and been at Plitvice, Rastoke is not as impressive as Plitvice, but then, it's not overcrowded by tourists during the tourist season.

I'll also agree with @47 about taking the normal road through Gorski Kotar, as the road is quite good, apart from the section around Delnice, which is currently under construction, meaning certain parts of the road have one lane closed so the traffic is regulated by traffic lights on those parts, and that's something you probably just want to avoid. You can encounter police checks here and there, but as a rule of thumb, during the night they're not that active, and during the day the drivers from the opposite direction will flash their high beams as a sign of warning. They do that at night as well, but those roads are basically empty during the night.

There is an alternative route to avoid Delnice that passes through Vrbovsko, Ravna Gora and Mrkopalj, but it's quite narrow and slow on some parts, if you're okay with that. If you have any more questions about the roads through Gorski Kotar, feel free to ask. :D

Reactions: 47