Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Sure but 250k kms, private seller, no detail about the car in the listing. I'd want to know it has a comprehensive service history and a recent cam belt change before driving over 2 hours to look at it.

I did a quick look on that site as well. Looks like they're just not out there. Well in theory then if one was to find one for sale it WOULD be a good purchase :D

Last I heard they sold about 30 in Finland, most of them are no longer on the road.

It sounds even better now with a fatter intake hose. I'm having trouble trusting it after the problems, though. I also have other ideas.

Hopefully they're all sorted now, or rather for now. I paid £3K for the thing, have almost spent that again in a year and a half and would just like to get what I paid for it. No way I'm bringing it to the icetrackmeet, sadly. :p

I will update my PYC thread at some point, the work was finished last weekend but I'm just lazy.

thinks

How much is storage for a car close to an international airport? :D

I really dig the smart despite all the faults. Theres so much charm with it. <3

Had my first not entirely negative dealership experience... MX-5 headlight gave up after an abnormally large puddle, it's LED so I got it replaced under warranty. Got it serviced at the same time and they even did state inspection which I didn't know was an option, including letting me slip through with some chiding about not having a front plate. Even gave the car a quick wash which was nice.

But it couldn't be entirely positive of course. The part took 27 days to arrive so I couldn't (legally) drive at night for a month, the loaner Mazda3 might as well have been a van with that hatch design, and I correctly didn't believe a word of the salesman's verbal promises that there was a promotion running and the tire rotation fee would be waived.

It sounds even better now with a fatter intake hose. I'm having trouble trusting it after the problems, though. I also have other ideas.
This I can understand. It's terrible to just expect something to fail.
Laughs in supercharged MINI
Laughs in supercharged Jaaag with a billion miles on the clock that's still in the shop
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Drives off in Japanese car.

My current daily is my dad's Citroën Saxo. It's only one year younger than me, so that makes it 23.

Cries in borrowed...
On a more serious note, I'm not so spoiled to cry over the fact I'm carless. I just don't have a need for a car, and I have other priorities to spend my money on.

No, we're in the same boat. I drive my dad's old car as it's redundant: he has a newer car, my brother has a decent enough Lexus and none of my hobby beaters are fit to do 150km per day.

Glances silently at 40 year-old Chevrolet

What next?
Nothing, for now, and for a few reasons:
1-November should be the last month of my PhD, which means I will be "unemployed" and not getting any money, so having a car is not smart.
2-We are planning on BR-Exiting, so the money will go towards plane tickets, diploma accreditation, visa applications, etc.
3-I am kinda done with it. I started neglecting it, so it's time to sell before I stop caring.

Stupid question... what’s a Palio?
Not a stupid question, at all.
In Brazil, it is the mid-sized hatchback FIAT offers. I was about to tell you it's a smaller version of the Punto, but I don't think it would help much. :LOL:
It's roughly the size of a Mazda 2. I think price-wise it would be about the same as well (since we don't have Mazdas here).
117hp in 1050kg. Not great. Not terrible.

Nothing, for now, and for a few reasons:
1-November should be the last month of my PhD, which means I will be "unemployed" and not getting any money, so having a car is not smart.
2-We are planning on BR-Exiting, so the money will go towards plane tickets, diploma accreditation, visa applications, etc.
3-I am kinda done with it. I started neglecting it, so it's time to sell before I stop caring.

Tbh, it's pretty good that you do have a car you can sell for those funds, especially considering you have to get rid of it in any case. And since you are done with it, you won't regret selling it for a good reason.

Tbh, it's pretty good that you do have a car you can sell for those funds, especially considering you have to get rid of it in any case. And since you are done with it, you won't regret selling it for a good reason.
Indeed. Depreciation in Brazil is much milder than Europe or the USA (as far as I know, feel free to correct me), specially for this kinda of car (small hatchback).
I bought it brand-new for R$40.000. Six years and 102.000km later and I can probably sell it for R$30.000. Not bad.
Now it's the right time to sell it and move on.

All your dailys need more Coyote.

Indeed. Depreciation in Brazil is much milder than Europe or the USA (as far as I know, feel free to correct me), specially for this kinda of car (small hatchback).
I bought it brand-new for R$40.000. Six years and 102.000km later and I can probably sell it for R$30.000. Not bad.
Now it's the right time to sell it and move on.

Let’s say it cost 12k here new, I could see it being worth 3-4k now.

All your dailys need more Coyote.
I'd be more than happy with a Fiesta ST.

And no, it was never sold here.:mad:

Let’s say it cost 12k here new, I could see it being worth 3-4k now.
Yeah, I figured it would be much harsher in Finland.
This happens sometimes with luxury vehicles and/or brands that don't have a great track record.