Apparently I need an AWD/4WD car now

I've driven a G35 coupe and was very unimpressed.

I've driven a G35 coupe and was very unimpressed.
I didn’t like the coupe much either but then I was looking to replace my Z with something as sporty but slightly bigger, the coupe was way too soft to satisfy that.
In Lev’s case he is replacing a TL though so it shouldn’t be too far off

Don't forget the Infiniti EX series/QX-WTF. They're basically a shortened G-series wagon; they don't pretend to have any offroad capability at all.

Wasn't the Suzuki Kizashi available with AWD, though those might have been CVT only?

Wasn't the Suzuki Kizashi available with AWD, though those might have been CVT only?

I'm not sure about the AWD, but the Kizashi sold like free HIV and Suzuki Automobiles got kicked off USDM Island some time ago. No dealers, no parts and good luck finding one in a junkyard as a last resort.

Edit: Just checked - Suzuki Automobiles USA went bankrupt and ceased operations back in 2012.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Infiniti EX series/QX-WTF. They're basically a shortened G-series wagon; they don't pretend to have any offroad capability at all.
Having seen some slammed to the ground on air bags, can confirm it’s basically a wagon.

Kia Stinger GT. Twin-turbo V6 and AWD. A friend of mine traded is one year old WRX for one, and he loves it.

Or as someone else mentioned, Focus RS :LOL:

If the problem is mainly the steep driveway, have you tried studded tires? That's what we are doing this year for my wifes FWD Mazda 5, because of steep driveway issues.

I didn't know there was an AWD Stinger... I thought they were all RWD.

I didn't know there was an AWD Stinger... I thought they were all RWD.

In Canada they come standard with AWD, maybe it's different in the States.

If the problem is mainly the steep driveway, have you tried studded tires? That's what we are doing this year for my wifes FWD Mazda 5, because of steep driveway issues.

Good tires can make a world of difference. I would argue, though, that good studless tires are as good on 99% of the surfaces Finnish winter can throw at a motorist. Sheet ice in the rain is where studs are needed the most.

That said, AWD is far superior in winter conditions. Slippery intersections, difficult hills and such things basically don't exist anymore. AWD also makes a car far more sure-footed when you're overtaking a slow asscareful driver and have to change lanes across 10cm of unplowed slush with your foot welded to the floor. Most people don't want to give up AWD for any reason once they've lived with it for a while. The guy I bought my current car from asked if I lived remotely, and looked at me funny when I replied "no, I live in town, but I also live in Finland" :p

Reliability wise a second gen IS is pretty bullet proof, but the trans will probably leave you wanting compared to the ZF8.

Test drove a couple of cars today. First up was a 2017 Ford Fusion Sport. 325hp, 380tq, 4100lbs, 6-speed auto, AWD.

Very impressed with the Fusion! LED headlights and DRLs look great. Nice comfy interior with lots of space. The seats are nicely bolstered and provide better support than anything else in this class. I like that the vents can blow air at the windshield AND at the passengers - I'm used to it being windshield and feet but not face level.

The 2.7L Ecoboost V6 is quite quick! Tons of torque, pulls strong, and the 6-speed auto works surprisingly well. The paddle shifters are painfully slow in normal driving but sport mode really quickens up the response times nicely. Honestly, I'd probably just drive it in auto all the time anyways, it works quite well and is quick to downshift when you want to go fast. The AWD system works well, as far as I could tell. I turned onto another street from a stop and as I was turning I floored it - no fuss, no drama, the engine provided lots of torque and the AWD system sorted out the traction in the wet and the Fusion took off. I really enjoyed this car.

1214191001_HDR.jpg

1214191001a_HDR.jpg

1214190938_HDR.jpg

Then I drove a 2015 Chrysler 300S. 300hp, 264tq, 4250lbs, 8-speed ZF, AWD. This is the same engine and trans as in our Grand Cherokee where they work perfectly fine, so I expected the 300S to be more of the same but quicker, since it's lighter. No such luck - this thing is a total snoozfest. My wife says it looks like a grandpa mobile and it drives like one too. Absolute boat of a car. On the upside, it's huge inside and very comfy. Non-HID projectors and missing sunroof were unexpected, since Chrysler is supposed to be the high-end brand (compared to, say, Dodge). The car also had an obviously bad wheel bearing and the nav thought we were in another state - if I was the dealer I wouldn't let customers drive this thing.

1214191109a_HDR.jpg

1214191109b_HDR.jpg

1214191118_HDR.jpg

Went to test-drive a G37x but the salesman ran off to sell weed instead. Oh well.

I think it's now between the Fusion and the 4th-gen TL. Unfortunately I won't be able to test-drive the TL, at least not with a manual, so I might end up with a Ford. I'm starting a new job next week so I'll see how that goes before buying a new car.