The "Things that annoy me" thread

Indeed. :)

Another annoyance: We replaced all of the flooring in our house with walnut. It looks beautiful.

Furniture looks weird when it matches flooring.

All of the furniture we'd otherwise like, is all walnut. Trying to find non-walnut nightstand and TV cabinet, in a style we like, in the height we need...we've spent hours looking online and in stores. Between the two of us, both working in interior design industries, apparently we are too danm picky.

Indeed. :)

Another annoyance: We replaced all of the flooring in our house with walnut. It looks beautiful.

Furniture looks weird when it matches flooring.

All of the furniture we'd otherwise like, is all walnut. Trying to find non-walnut nightstand and TV cabinet, in a style we like, in the height we need...we've spent hours looking online and in stores. Between the two of us, both working in interior design industries, apparently we are too danm picky.

My furniture would give you an aneurysm. :)

I just don’t care, so long as it’s not worn out, it’s ok. I don’t have people over so I have no one to really show off to. On the main floor is a wooden dinner table from my parents that I grew up with with the typical American suburban subdivision wood chairs. The “couch” is really just a love seat big enough for my dog and I, but it reclines. Problem with this is it was a thrift store purchase when I moved out and it’s hardly used but it’s also blue... tv stand is ikea special but that one actually works with my home as it has a sort of cabin-ish feel. On end table is an old thing my grand parents had for many years and the other side due to width restrictions with one of the bedroom doors is an old TV dinner table with a beautiful painting of flowers on. It’s only like this because I want to move internationally at some point and absolutely do not want to invest in anything that I would be ok with tossing out.

I've worked in furniture for going-on-20 years, and my better half is an interior designer (yes, designer...not decorator). And between her art background, and my wanna-be woodworking hobby, we are a perfect storm of, "I dont love it, so I dont want to spend a dime on it." My TV stand? A lateral file cabinet. That I got for free. My dining table? I got the base for free, and a laminate millwork company owned me a favor and made me a free table top. The chairs in the bedroom? Free. The bookshelf in the spare bedroom? Free.

It's nice working in the furniture industry. :)

Everybody seems to have abandonned the sub 55" (and even mostly the sub 50") TV size.
This is a thing that drives me crazy because my vison starts to get blurry at roughly a meter away which is too close to comfortably view a large tv, but I can see a small one perfectly. I could technically wear my glasses, but it's a lot easier to not need them.

I've worked in furniture for going-on-20 years, and my better half is an interior designer (yes, designer...not decorator). And between her art background, and my wanna-be woodworking hobby, we are a perfect storm of, "I dont love it, so I dont want to spend a dime on it." My TV stand? A lateral file cabinet. That I got for free. My dining table? I got the base for free, and a laminate millwork company owned me a favor and made me a free table top. The chairs in the bedroom? Free. The bookshelf in the spare bedroom? Free.

It's nice working in the furniture industry. :)
My furniture would give you an aneurysm. :)

I just don’t care, so long as it’s not worn out, it’s ok. I don’t have people over so I have no one to really show off to. On the main floor is a wooden dinner table from my parents that I grew up with with the typical American suburban subdivision wood chairs. The “couch” is really just a love seat big enough for my dog and I, but it reclines. Problem with this is it was a thrift store purchase when I moved out and it’s hardly used but it’s also blue... tv stand is ikea special but that one actually works with my home as it has a sort of cabin-ish feel. On end table is an old thing my grand parents had for many years and the other side due to width restrictions with one of the bedroom doors is an old TV dinner table with a beautiful painting of flowers on. It’s only like this because I want to move internationally at some point and absolutely do not want to invest in anything that I would be ok with tossing out.

This is funny because my furniture is like a combo of this. Like I have a really cheap set of shelves next to my bed, because it matched my desk. The tv stand is actually part of the same set, identical to the shelves, but I found it on the side of the road. My room has all of one piece of good furniture (the bed) and everything else was at most 100$. But everything matches just fine. I also will like, repaint or modify something to make more acceptable if it comes down to it.

This is a thing that drives me crazy because my vison starts to get blurry at roughly a meter away which is too close to comfortably view a large tv, but I can see a small one perfectly. I could technically wear my glasses, but it's a lot easier to not need them.
Get a monitor... the only real difference between a TV and a monitor is having a tuner for OTA programming and who watches that?

Get a monitor... the only real difference between a TV and a monitor is having a tuner for OTA programming and who watches that?

I use OTA channels for local news.

Unfortunately, no longer true. These days, TVs are “smart” and come with multiple tuners. The former makes them targets for hacking and the latter makes them more complicated than necessary.

For those two reasons, I have recently bought a 49” monitor from a German TV/receiver/etc. manufacturer. It was available in 49” and 55” and the nearest smaller sizes of monitors were too small for my taste.

Opposite actually, my tv is antenna only because who pays for cable anymore when streaming exists.

But honestly at this point I just go the extra step and watch on phone/tablet when available because trying to make the show onto the tv is extra steps I can just cut out.

As a pointless counter argument to TVs being pointless, I use a 40" Samsung TV as a monitor and it works great for that but I've been watching Prime shows (The Expanse) and UHD Blu-Rays through it recently and the motion smoothing is very impressive. One day we'll have 120Hz (or more) everything but until then there is a point to a 'proper' TV and the tech that comes with it.

Anyway, I'm annoyed that the Gävle goat survived again, the third year I've been following the webcams and the first time in its existence that it has survived three years on the bounce. Now what am I supposed to do with the half a million screenshots my server saved over the month?

Continuing with my previous Amazon annoyances - annoyed by their inconstant return options. Sometimes I can drop my return off at UPS for free, sometimes I can drop it off at Kohls for free, sometimes I can drop it off at the local Amazon locker for free, sometimes I can even return it at the local Kohls without a box for free. Just got an item that I need to return, the options are - UPS store (with a box) for $5.99, Amazon locker (with a box) for $5.99 or the local Amazon hub (with a box) for free. Obviously the last one is the most appealing, except the hub is way out of my way. But I also need to find a box since it was shipped in an envelope that can't be reused.

I suspect that has to do with who you are buying from, remember not everything you buy on Amazon is actually FROM amazon.

I suspect that has to do with who you are buying from, remember not everything you buy on Amazon is actually FROM amazon.

If its fulfilled by Amazon then it goes through Amazon warehouses for both the sale and the return. So in theory the return options should always be the same.

But in my current case, returning it to a Amazon locker cost money, but returning it to an Amazon hub is free. Just checked return options for a different item and its letting me return it to the Amazon locker for free. A 3rd item has option to return to the Amazon locker without a box for free. Maybe has to do with the item category?

Maybe, that does seem rather odd. It makes sense that returning it to a hub is free, they don't have to pay shipping costs for your specific item since they would be shipping to/from there anyway.

Maybe its a transitionary phase. The hub is rather new. But its not a warehouse or a return processing center, so they’ll still need to ship it. Though at that point it’ll be on an Amazon truck with thousands of other items, and not a one off item being moved by dedicated carriers.

Yeah it's bulk shipping, it's much much much cheaper for the company than normal last mile stuff.

Drivers who don't use turn signals.

It doesn't really bother me when the move the driver is making doesn't really affect anybody, but it just baffles me when people are trying to get into an occupied lane, or something, and they get mad when nobody is letting them in, when they aren't even signalling.

Conversely, those fucks who see me turn on my signal to move into their lane, and then they gun it and try to block be getting into their lane. So much for "christian motoring"...

It doesn't really bother me when the move the driver is making doesn't really affect anybody, but it just baffles me when people are trying to get into an occupied lane, or something, and they get mad when nobody is letting them in, when they aren't even signalling.

Conversely, those fucks who see me turn on my signal to move into their lane, and then they gun it and try to block be getting into their lane. So much for "christian motoring"...

The other day I was out and about and came across a work zone where it narrowed from two lanes to one. I noticed this and moved over as I should, but the 4 cars behind me decided to fly past and then want over in front of us. Well, I was nice and let 2 in and the third guy left a gap so I just went ahead and closed the gap. He then tried to force his way in, in front of cars I just let in.

All 4 are asshats, the third is King.

The other day I was out and about and came across a work zone where it narrowed from two lanes to one. I noticed this and moved over as I should, but the 4 cars behind me decided to fly past and then want over in front of us.
At least here in Germany the "zipper system" is even written in law: when your lane ends you (theoretically) not only are allowed to but have to stay in that lane until it ends and then merge. When the lane which you merge into is occupied the person driving in that lane has to let you merge. That should be common sense as well.

You shouldn't fly towards the end of the lane and then force your way in though which some people do, you should gradually slow down so ideally you match the speed of the queue right as you merge.

Unfortunately most people are too selfish to see the bigger picture and do what you described...