Someone Else's Problem: What is Dead May Never Die - EyeMWing's sorta big red box

I almost bought one of those caulking (sealant in this country) guns for Tiger Seal, I’ve broken manual guns in the past trying to dispense that stuff.

As per standard practice, this has spiralled deeply out of control and the Jeep now needs an exhaust.

And the exhaust section I need to replace necks up from 2" to 2.5". And has a cat in it.

The cat was already completely shattered internally, though, so hey.

The cat was already completely shattered internally, though, so hey.

Whelp I guess I can assume that massive favors were made with it magically passing PA emissions inspection somehow! (thank you rando mechanics!)

Ahhhh, this brings back the horror flashbacks from my XJ exhaust woes.

J9jvNY8l.jpg

bGrOWbsl.jpg

C0Bo01Gl.jpg

VH3oCUol.jpg

iKicbY7l.jpg

Sadly I didn't take any photos of the old cat, but you could see right through it, there was no core at all left in it, was just a straight pass through. When I cut it off the truck and tilted it, a few crumbs came out, but that was it.

And yet, I still miss that thing

Exhaust is "in". Ish. It's hard up against the trans cross member and occasionally makes awful noises as a result.

Thought I had the electricity demon licked (cleaned the grounds) but the alternator is definitely not charging at idle and may have a hard internal short - I measured 6v at the battery after it shut down on me, and 12v at the battery after disconnecting it. Have ordered an alternator.

Yeah, on further research the A/C delete belt routing applicable to the XJ 4.0 also happens to bypass the idler that has the mechanical fan mounted to it. So Nope™.

Now seeing my post a day later, it is quite rude, sorry! I get annoyed when I hear so many people in my area bypassing A/C because “It’s not needed” as a cop out for fixing problems. I know A/C can be finicky but it’s not just for comfort in the summer.

Now seeing my post a day later, it is quite rude, sorry! I get annoyed when I hear so many people in my area bypassing A/C because “It’s not needed” as a cop out for fixing problems. I know A/C can be finicky but it’s not just for comfort in the summer.
No offense taken. A lot of people just legitimately do not know.

That said, I do know, and I am in fact dumb enough to do it anyway. At some point later, during the offroader phase of its life, this thing'll be getting an alternator relocation to the A/C position because Jeep in their infinite wisdom mounted it at the bottom where you can short it out by driving in a sufficiently nasty rainstorm, nevermind any offroad hazards.

No offense taken. A lot of people just legitimately do not know.

That said, I do know, and I am in fact dumb enough to do it anyway. At some point later, during the offroader phase of its life, this thing'll be getting an alternator relocation to the A/C position because Jeep in their infinite wisdom mounted it at the bottom where you can short it out by driving in a sufficiently nasty rainstorm, nevermind any offroad hazards.

I never thought about that or checked when my dad had a 2001 Cherokee. I do recall that the forums like to say cooling is insufficient with these things, is there something you’re working to remedy this or is it not an issue?

Have fun with defogging windows on damp rainy days.
I don't get the point tbh, EU vehicles miraculously did well in this department without AC for generations.

Yeah, on further research the A/C delete belt routing applicable to the XJ 4.0 also happens to bypass the idler that has the mechanical fan mounted to it. So Nope™.

You can get an A/C bypass pulley for about $40. Or, turn the AC pump into an onboard air compressor.

I never thought about that or checked when my dad had a 2001 Cherokee. I do recall that the forums like to say cooling is insufficient with these things, is there something you’re working to remedy this or is it not an issue?
Not an issue for this rally because winter, but long term, electric fans, maybe a better designed radiator.

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Have the new alternator mostly bolted in now (warming my hands before continuing).

Ended up having to:
- Remove airbox to access belt tensioner
- Remove power steering pump (which is the pulley the tensioner acts on) because Jeep guys are REAL bad at sharing tech info and neglected to adequately communicate the presence of an invisible bolt that freezes the tensioner. This is not helped by there being apparently dozens of different belt tensioning variants in XJ's.
- (Really should have removed the mech fan but I didn't realize that until too late)
- Remove belt
- Remove battery tray
- Torque engine all the way over to the driver's side with a ratchet strap
- Bend some A/C lines out of the way, kinking them moderately
- Apply fucking hammers to dislodge the fucker from its mounts

Nearly had to remove the front sway bar.

Install is reverse of removal.