Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I guess all planning is done on Telegram now and we're not bothering with threads on FG? ? Not sure why I'm complaining because I likely can't go anyways, but this goes back to what I've been saying for a while now in other threads about the increasing divide between those on telegram and those on here.... oh well.

EDIT: Yup. Just loaded up Telegram and see the dates and planning.... and people complaining about how its impossible to find info in the non-stop flood of consciousness. Still probably out for this year.

I want to apologize a little about Telegram. It's easy to just throw something up there (especially since it's open on my desktop all day), while going to the forums and posting is slightly more involved. Terrible excuse, I know.

So on that front, can you expand any on the exhaust sound of the Mustang overhead cam engines versus the cam-in-block of the LS/Godzilla 7.3?

I have a lot of exhaust fumes in the morning on a cold start. In the afternoon, after 8+ hours of sitting at work, there are no visible fumes but it's also over 40 degrees then.
Yeah when it's cold out having a lot of steam is pretty normal since there is a shit ton of condensation so it's pretty hard to tell whats up.

So on that front, can you expand any on the exhaust sound of the Mustang overhead cam engines versus the cam-in-block of the LS/Godzilla 7.3?
7.3 is gonna sounds like wayyy better

Even if it doesn't commonly have that problem there is still the chance of that being the case, but wouldn't he see in the exhaust?

Maybe.

Before we get to that, all cars with engines produce some smoke at startup in cool or cold weather. This is caused by condensation in the exhaust and will mostly go away after a few minutes. This will vary for engine type too, some are just worse than others. Larger vehicles also seem to produce more.

Anyway, @LeVeL says he has lots of fumes in the morning and not much in the evening when it is warmer. That could be normal for that engine car combo.

I wonder why the shop did not just pull the plugs. An early indication is corroded, or discolored plugs.

If the smoke is persistent and white, that is definitely a problem though.

Interrupted ramble over. Damn phones!

Yeah I haven't been worried about the visible fumes for all of the reasons mentioned. As far as pulling the plugs goes, maybe they have - I just had a brief conversation with them over the phone, I'll know more when I go to pick up the car after work.

I guess all planning is done on Telegram now and we're not bothering with threads on FG? ? Not sure why I'm complaining because I likely can't go anyways, but this goes back to what I've been saying for a while now in other threads about the increasing divide between those on telegram and those on here.... oh well.

EDIT: Yup. Just loaded up Telegram and see the dates and planning.... and people complaining about how its impossible to find info in the non-stop flood of consciousness. Still probably out for this year.

http://forums.finalgear.com/threads/balkan-2020-roadtrip-pre-ringmeet.3555842/

There, I'm tired of waiting for those that are planning the trip to do it.

Well, like it's been with previous meets including the Finnmeet, most sketching is done at an early phase in Telegram as it feels more agile, and as some bigger outlines can be drawn then an official thread will be created. It's never super-organized as the arranging party varies from year to year, and instead of feeling excluded one needs to contact people to ask if they can confirm some details of the likely trip. As for Balkan 2020, it's "only February", so planning is at an early stage. Of course the forum's role has changed during the time there have been roadtrips or meets, but it's hardly anything tactical.

Dear Ford, why on earth do you make plastic oil pans and drain bolts? Also, while positioning the oil filter up top is very convenient, putting a plastic cover over it that requires a 27mm wrench (which doesn't come in any standard tool kit) and will easily strip, is a terrible bit of design.

Dear Ford, why on earth do you make plastic oil pans and drain bolts? Also, while positioning the oil filter up top is very convenient, putting a plastic cover over it that requires a 27mm wrench (which doesn't come in any standard tool kit) and will easily strip, is a terrible bit of design.
Cuz go to a dealer!

“Plastic” oil pans has been a thing for a bit. VW’s on MQB makes sense where the drain plug is a push twist with an o ring. It’s meant to be replaced at each oil change with the filter. So far so good.

“Plastic” oil pans has been a thing for a bit. VW’s on MQB makes sense where the drain plug is a push twist with an o ring. It’s meant to be replaced at each oil change with the filter. So far so good.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me... Plastic is generally much easier to crack

Watched a BBC show tonight about criminals caught on camera and this scene reminded me of something:

BMWDitch.jpg

Ditches love BMWs. Someone should put that on a T-shirt...

Well, like it's been with previous meets including the Finnmeet, most sketching is done at an early phase in Telegram as it feels more agile, and as some bigger outlines can be drawn then an official thread will be created. It's never super-organized as the arranging party varies from year to year, and instead of feeling excluded one needs to contact people to ask if they can confirm some details of the likely trip. As for Balkan 2020, it's "only February", so planning is at an early stage. Of course the forum's role has changed during the time there have been roadtrips or meets, but it's hardly anything tactical.

Those of us that aren’t in driving distance of the starting location need to have as much time as possible for flight booking. But maybe I’m over doing it by booking flights in January. I’ve already booked at Weihs hotel by the ring. While that’s down to just slow response times, I’ve now booked direct by emailing the hotel directly, the owners do have a winter holiday. Earlier is better than too late as the chat group for the road trip is finding with hotel bookings. Don’t see that as “oh they’re making plans without forum peeps” once locations are agreed upon, the google doc will be updated. The thread *should* be updated so that everyone interested are aware. Just come to the forums.

Oh yeah, it's not like it starts next door for us Finns either :p
Come to think of it, how do you get down south? Do you go through Russia? Is there a ferry to Tallinn or something? Are you far enough north to go through Sweden?

Depends of destination, but most often a cheap ferry to Tallinn from Helsinki and then straight down through the Baltics. Direct ferry to Germany from Helsinki is 500-ish and I don't mind driving the eastern route as the main road is good and fuel is cheap. Via Russia could work but the Tallinn ferry is barely any trouble at all.

Sometimes it makes sense to take a ferry to Stockholm and drive via southern Sweden, too.

Going via Russia is a bit on the difficult side when it comes to formalities, though perhaps Finns have it easier? But the Helsinki - Tallinn ferry is cheap and frequent, so going via St. Petersburg would be an unnecessary detour anyway.
Turku to Stockholm is a good option for destinations more to the west, as you end up in Germany (Rostock or even more to the west). But it also requires a second crossing of the Baltic Sea via ferry and/or toll bridges.

With only 1 exception (2014), all Ringmeet planning threads since we started using the currently location at Viktoria Station in 2011 (the early small 2007-2010 ones were planned significantly later, but due to their scale, I’m not counting those) were started in January, December or even November, so it being “only February” is not a good excuse. Most Ringmeet threads were even started before dates were selected and people were discussing which Ring race weekend they wanted the meet to take place on. The fact that this year’s meet planning is well underway and things have already been set in stone before a single thing was even posted on the forum is pretty sad in my opinion.

But again, not sure why I’m bitching since I’m most likely not going and the current method seems to be working fine for those interested, just seems like a great way to foster exclusivity to a small group of people.

Like I've said in the past, Telegram was great during the vB5 days, but there has been no noticeable attempt to come back after the XenForo migration and the return to reliable functionality. But oh well, this is the last time I’ll bring up the forum vs Telegram rift.

Last edited: