Someone Else's Problem: The Electric Banana - 2012 Jeep Patriot

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
This past weekend Mrs. CraigB and I took a train ride from KC to Chicago on Easter. The following morning, we got up early, boarded another train and headed to an western suburb of Chi-town. There was a small hiccup at this point, a pedestrian was struck and killed by another train just as we left the station. Nearly 3 hours to the minute of the incident, we started rolling again. As soon as we were off the train, @93Flareside rolls up and collects us to take to his work. Yes, I bought that dreaded Jeep Patriot...

After a nice lunch with Chris, we got in the road with Electric Banana. The delay from the train was going to make it difficult to make the nearly 10 hour drive in one go. I tried, I really did, but by the time I got to Hannibal, Missouri, I could go no further. So we finished the drive the next morning.

The Patriot, which no one loves, made it no problem. Gas mileage was in the mid-20s.

The plan is to replace the Explorer (as pictured above) and add it to the fleet, mostly for Granny to drive.

I promised @gaasc a poem of the epic journey. So here goes:

Many a mile we travel
Hoping that our plans do not unravel
To buy a Jeep
To replace a heap

The trains were late
The food was great
Headed home, we await our fate

The Jeep is a dream
But it made Chris scream
So home we head
Least we are found on the road dead

Poetry isn't me strong point... ?

Proof photo soon-ish...

It's like an Easter egg in car form!

She's gone to live on a farm kids!

I love that first photo but man your tongue creeps me out. :tease:

The poem was beautiful, brought a tear to my... nose. The less said about the car the better, it still isn't a flying banana.

First problems have cropped up on the Patriot. Granny reported a TCS light and no power on startup Tuesday morning. I didn't get to look at it until today and it runs fine (of course). I did pull four codes this morning with my handy shitty little OBD-II reader. They are as follows (with my thoughts):

P0420 - Cat or Oxygen Sensor (Very, very common on older vehicles)
P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire (Coil, plug, wire or plugged cat)
C0300 - Rear speed sensor malfunction (may have something to do with the 4wd and the no power, info on this one is very conflicting)
P0004 - Says it's mostly a diesel or gasoline direct injection fault (Might be low fuel pressure , not sure)

I drove it around the track, seemed a little low on power, but I haven't driven it in months. I'll start by checking the plugs and coils, then go from there...

Oh, and it's no longer yellow:

photo_2020-02-13_11-32-13.jpg

When was the fuel filter changed last?

I love that first photo but man your tongue creeps me out. :tease:

The poem was beautiful, brought a tear to my... nose. The less said about the car the better, it still isn't a flying banana.

That's not a flying banana. This is a flying banana...

1581687058228.jpeg

I think we have located the problem...

photo_2020-02-14_15-15-29.jpg

Temped it back together with some tape and a new engine ground (it had rotted off too) and it runs, so that's a win. Going to have to source that coil harness and splice new plugs in.

When was the fuel filter changed last?

Looks like never. I wonder if it even has one? I know some Hondas only have the sock on the pump.

That's not a flying banana. This is a flying banana...

View attachment 3556953

Guess this needs renamed then. Maybe the Silver Shadow or Silver Scheiße...

Silver Mist. It's what Rolls-Royce wanted to name the Silver Shadow before they found out what Mist means in German...

DeepL and Google translate are failing me, is it slang?

It means dung or manure. Also "Damn!".

*poke*

Currently it's got a no crank situation. I've spent probably 3 days working on it and am tired of it.

It's all so overly complicated. In order to crank it's got to double, triple check shit through the ECM, the TIPM and a dozen relays. Fuck that...

To update the above, the starter had died. I'm an idiot.

IMG_20220329_083752.jpg

Also, the mother-in-law sent this to me this morning.

She is thinking of letting it go though. When her mother passed a few months ago she was left a S-10 Blazer that she wants to drive instead.

Now that is impressive!

Did she check the engine? Was it still there?

Did she check the engine? Was it still there?

Yes, still there. You can tell because the tach is reading more than zero.

It's a evap code due to a rusty gas filler tube not allowing the gas cap to seal.