Today I Learnt...

I did wonder, but Auto Trader lists the drivetrain for these as AWD. Probably a cock-up by an intern there.

D'oh.

TIL that Mitsubishi made a limited run of 2500 Exo IX models in wagon guise.

TIL that my washing machine, an old front loading Miele that I bought used, tolerates a certain amount of jury-rigging.
Due to CBA issues (Can’t Be Arsed), I am still running the washing machine with the strap replacing the door lock. No issues or complaints. :grin:

And tonight, I learnt that my clothes dryer (Siemens, heat pump, also bought used) already came with a little aftermarket hatch that gives access to the condenser. It was advertised as “self-cleaning”, but this generation of dryer really wasn’t. So I ordered the hatch on Amazon and went to find out how much cursing its installation would require.

A mild dose of that later, I had got to the place where the hatch is supposed to go, only to find one already in place. :dance: Order cancelled > hatch opened > condenser cleaned (it didn’t need it too badly) > self-cleaning cycle discovered on YouTube and run three times. That’s a lot more than I had hoped to achieve and hopefully enough to get rid of the annoying whiff the thing had developed.

Due to CBA issues (Can’t Be Arsed), I am still running the washing machine with the strap replacing the door lock. No issues or complaints. :grin:

And tonight, I learnt that my clothes dryer (Siemens, heat pump, also bought used) already came with a little aftermarket hatch that gives access to the condenser. It was advertised as “self-cleaning”, but this generation of dryer really wasn’t. So I ordered the hatch on Amazon and went to find out how much cursing its installation would require.

A mild dose of that later, I had got to the place where the hatch is supposed to go, only to find one already in place. :dance: Order cancelled > hatch opened > condenser cleaned (it didn’t need it too badly) > self-cleaning cycle discovered on YouTube and run three times. That’s a lot more than I had hoped to achieve and hopefully enough to get rid of the annoying whiff the thing had developed.

amazing. Shame how a lot of appliances in the states are built so cheaply that repairing them costs more than they’re worth and put together so haphazardly it’s why they fail so often.

amazing. Shame how a lot of appliances in the states are built so cheaply that repairing them costs more than they’re worth and put together so haphazardly it’s why they fail so often.
Yeah, the wife and I paid more for these used appliances than we could have paid for new ones from cheap brands, the whole point of which was reliability and repairability. So far, it has worked out well.

We have a washer/drier combo from LG, which is a good brand, and the mainboard failed after 6 years.
Replace mainboard and fix drier duct: R$1600
Replace with brand-new similar model: R$2500

FTFY

It may have its faults, but on the whole, I'd much rather we concern ourselves with the right to repair (stuff) than the need to rebuild (cities).

McSqueeze me? Rebuild cities? Like how the US wants to give countries democracy?

TIL that Star Trek's Tribbles were a concept borrowed from a story by Robert Heinlein with the author's permission.

He later got a bit pissed at them because he considered it a one time loan but they kept on using them.

Which is a bit ironic given how fast those things reproduce.

TIL that Star Trek's Tribbles were a concept borrowed from a story by Robert Heinlein with the author's permission.

He later got a bit pissed at them because he considered it a one time loan but they kept on using them.

Which is a bit ironic given how fast those things reproduce.

Do you know why they reproduce so fast?

They're born pregnant and will give birth as long as there is a plentiful food supply. They are basically fluffy space locusts, or you could also say a virus, using their inherent cuteness to avoid being seen as a threat to their hosts until it's too late.