GM - Our Electric Future is... we're going to show you...in just a bit...

Momentum57

worships the 2010 Prius like a god
DONOR
Car(s)
It's A HONDA! Clarity Plug In Electric
GM had a science fair to tell wall street some stuff

106424520-1583341306047gmevbarra01.jpg

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/05/gm-...-at-tesla-with-new-all-electric-vehicles.html

So they supposably shared "unprecedented details about its plans to roll out next-generation all-electric vehicles, starting next year."

Screen-Shot-2020-03-04-at-9.40.31-AM.jpg

They didn't allow any of the vehicles to be photographed. Presumably the Hummer, Bolt, and Cadillac. But from everything I've read the Cadillac will be the first one launched and will hit roads in 2022 in China first. So I'm not quite sure what this event was other than a defensive move. Tesla, Nissan, Rivien, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, VW, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Jaguar...

GM can't even show what the next Bolt looks like? It looks like the rust is showing through the paint. What am I missing why does this seem... lacking

This was a technology showcase for investors, not a forum to show off new models.

With that being said, there should be more to show.

I feel like I'm missing the plot. Ford is building Mach-e at around 45k. Tesla Y around 45k GM will build a Cadillac SUV for some price in 2 or 3 years. Success!

And another thing the biggest news of this event is the GM sees Tesla as it's main competition and presumably thinks Ford is down for the count.

Last edited:
GM says Coronavirus but...

Out of an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the Cadillac LYRIQ reveal in Los Angeles, California on April 2nd

I think it has more to do with the Saudi oil move. More evidence that GM isn't thinking beyond the end of the week. That said they are making alot out of a car that won't see any roads in years.

I'm kinda lost in GM not just in the electric news front but in all their public relations which seems to sit in effectiveness somewhere between Ford and nose picking aficionados.

I think it has more to do with the virus. Plus, there is a chance that this will all pass by the time the Detroit Auto Show rolls around, so it would be nice to reveal it at home.

so it would be nice to reveal it at home.

This is what I mean when I poke at their PR team

Ok, June at the height of the political campaign season and they will announce an electric car to be built in China... Oh buddy.

Ok, coronavirus is an issue. Why not have a digital event? Livestream that with a small crew and Jay Leno. They probably would get more attention right now saying we're going to launch a major car and show we're a tech company in a techy way then the held over lukewarm old fashioned event.

Is it a China only car?

GM, among other companies, are restricting travel and events.

One other thing that might be at play is the stock price. With the current freefall, I wouldn't want to be near reporters of any kind.

So it's going to be in China first then in the US about a year later. But they will be building it in China.

This is why I'm saying do it live online. You would have a ton of free press just from the novelty of it.

That's why they had to run out and give a press event to discuss their electric plans before this announcement because Wall Street didn't feel they were serious about EVs. They will already be behind Mercedes Benz delayed EQC.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you on doing it online, just the reason the event was cancelled.

The tale of two SUVs: Cadillac Celestiq & Cadillac Lyriq. The Lyric apparently will be built in China and be a mass market SUV EV. Cadillac Celestiq on the other hand built in the US and will cost above $200,000. Or not who knows nothing official

And like 3 people will buy it.

Yeah the Celestiq is a halo car that from the discrimination sounds like they are going to mill some very nice door handles.

The Lyriq sound interesting but will arrive a bit late in my opinion. GM is either betting big on the next administration or really can't handle building electric. Automakers led by GM lobbyist tried to raise the celling from 200,000 cars to 600,000 but it failed.

I'm guessing they hope the next administration can help or they will just wait on EVs till all makers lose the tax credits. I'm not sure I'd spend 20k more than the equivalent Volvo EV. But I don't get their plan at all because it's not their helping themselves with the delays.

enter both names in google, and the same pics show up?

IMO premium money for a GM product (aside from Tahoe and it's cousins and the Vette) is pretty much just a non starter. If I'm going for a premium eSUV I'd rather get the Jag or Audi really...

At $60,350 for the Jag and $65,300 for the Audi after tax incentives it will be interesting where Cadillac prices the Lyriq.

GM could throw it's weight around and really change the EV market but given what they put out it all sound theoretical/bungling

GM could throw it's weight around and really change the EV market but given what they put out it all sound theoretical/bungling
The only way GM (or any of the big manufacturers really) could rally change EV market is by selling their EVs as loss leaders subsidized by their normal
car sales. I highly doubt there is much of a business case for that though.

There is. Unfortunately to do so you have to convince stockholders to begin hating money.